Calf Acting Strange

Help Support CattleToday:

WilsonsFarm

Reaction score
I've read several other threads about issues with calves and I've learned a lot. Until now I didn't know about dummy syndrome or selinium shots. Still, I'm unsure of what's going on with our calf.

Sunday afetr church, we saw a heifer having trouble calving. We gave her some time and then my husband had to go help pull the calf out. We were sure it was dead, but were thrilled when it started breathing. The mother has been with the calf and I've seen it standing and nursing (I think) a few times. Yesterday my husband spent some time with the calf and noticed some weird things about it. First of all, it keeps its ears down. At first you'd think it is wobbly and not able to balance because you'd think it's not nursing and doesn't have strength. So my husband tried to bottle feed it but it wouldn't suck on the bottle without lots of help. While he was holding it, he noticed how strong it is. So it has a lot of fight in it, it just doesn't act like it knows what to do. Most of the time it stays lying down. It was standing then and just staring off in a weird way. So we started thinking maybe it has brain damage from a lack of oxygen. We don't know what to do for the calf. We've already lost 2 calves and 1 cow this year and my husband has tried everything aside from shots. Does this sound like dummy syndrome? Should I try the shots? Would I call a regular vet or a special, large-animal vet? We need the money from all of our calves to pay land taxes and can't handle another dying like this. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

First off make sure it's nursing. All of the other things are probably just the lingering aff3ects of ahard long delivery. Should grow out of them (or not) won;t know until it does or doesn;t. Not unusal for calves even from easy deliverys to sleep a lot the first couple of days, from a prolonged delivery they may be even lazier for longer. If it's eaating, bodily functions are being preformed and can walk around on it's oen just practice benign neglect. If anything changes, then tke action

Some calves are weaker than others. The fact that it showed your husband it had strength is a good sign. My guess is that it will be okay if the cow is getting plenty of nutrition and mineral.

I would not bottle feed it provided the cow is letting it nurse as bottle feeding can affect its scent. Usually a bottle or two is okay but it is a risk. Cows having had their first calve can have sensitive teats.

With all calves, verify beyond doubt when they nurse they get colostrum as soon as practical. Seeing them try to nurse is not a sure thing. Many times they will only hit one or two teats initially. If you don't see it hooked up for certain, check to see if the teats have shrunk some or if two or so are.

Thank you all for the advice. We were just worried it was having issues because of how spacey it looks. It didn't even get up when I drove through the pasture to it. After it was up and trying to get away from my husband while feeding, it still didn't walk off when he let go. It just stood there. Very odd. Keep ideas coming! We use a mineral block for the cows. Should I look into using the BoSe shot? We've had 2 other calves die and one cow- all without a clear reason. I live in western NC but can't find the selenium information for my area.

That "worry" thing never really goes away for me. Heck, I changed pastures a couple of years ago and missed a new born. It was my own fault for not realizing the cow had calved. Had one the other day that would have been the same way. That calf was a couple of days old and wanted to play hide and seek all afternoon.

Your mineral "block" concerns me. Many of the common mineral blocks sold are 97% salt. This means a 50 lb block yields 1 1/2 pounds of mineral. That does not cut it. Take a close look at the contents of what you are using. If you are going to skimp on anything, it should not be minerals in my opinion. Good minerals are expensive but much cheaper in the long run when you consider mortality, health and everything else that goes with it. I have gotten up more than one downer cow by simply pasting them with tubes of CMPK. Had one a year ago the owner and vet both had given up on. I had her up in two days when they had been putting an IV in her for over 5. Minerals are extremely important.

Since I have always maintianed mine on good mineral (as did my dad and grandad going back for years) I cannot help you with the shot questions. If it were me, I'd put that momma in a head gate and paste her with a tube of CMPK just to be safe. Someone else will probably tell you this is the wrong thing to do.

Here's a link to the type of CMPK gel I use. There are many sources on the net and many different manufacturers. I generally buy it by the case. I always have a few tubes on hand but I run a few nurse cows (dairy) etc. If it were not for the nurse cows I own, and the fact that I help out other folks, I probably would not keep it on hand since mine get plenty of loose mineral.

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/c.m.p.k ... /cn/31100/

We also use a huge mineral tub. The gel says it's for dairy cows. I should have been more specific. We raise beef cattle. How would they have nitrate poisoning? We have not fertilized the pasture where they are.

I'm very worried about the calf. I suppose we need to first get the cow and her calf up so we can see if she is indeed nursing. I was almost certain I saw it punching her bag yesterday.

WilsonsFarm":3cfietwf said:
We also use a huge mineral tub. The gel says it's for dairy cows. I should have been more specific. We raise beef cattle. How would they have nitrate poisoning? We have not fertilized the pasture where they are.

I'm very worried about the calf. I suppose we need to first get the cow and her calf up so we can see if she is indeed nursing. I was almost certain I saw it punching her bag yesterday.

Lot of your mineral/ protien tubs are very high in urea (nitrates). Read the label.

WilsonsFarm":ta1e33wh said:

A cow is a cow....it says "dairy" because "dairy" are more prone to have milk fever than beef cattle and that's the reason for using CMPK. I've never used the product but did use CMPK IV solution many times with excellent results. Don't know if that was what the vet was giving that cow Boogie but most likely all they were giving her was dextrose solution which does little more than give her an energy boost...I agree with you about using a high quality mineral year round.

We called the vet and he is going to come Friday if the calf is still alive. We think the calf is blind. When my husband opened its eyelids he said its eyes looked "dingy." Hoping the vet finds something we can do... Thanks for all advice and help!

The vet came early. He said y'all were right about dummy syndrome and selenium deficiency. He gave it a shot or selenium. He said it was mild brain damage from oxygen deprivation and swelling on the brain. He gave it a shot of steroids and an antibiotic. He said we should bottle feed it 4 times a day so we had to get it put up instead of in the pasture. It is also blind.
Do calves ever grow out of dummy syndrome?

WilsonsFarm":kwv87jfp said:
The vet came early. He said y'all were right about dummy syndrome and selenium deficiency. He gave it a shot or selenium. He said it was mild brain damage from oxygen deprivation and swelling on the brain. He gave it a shot of steroids and an antibiotic. He said we should bottle feed it 4 times a day so we had to get it put up instead of in the pasture. It is also blind.
Do calves ever grow out of dummy syndrome?

I have wrassled with them for three or four weeks had a few that did, guess it depended on the brain damage.
That said we don't have a selenium problem and never had one that was blind to boot.

Latest posts