Cake Feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
You guys that use them, do you have a set of scales on yours or how to you keep track how much your feeding?

I have a neighbor that uses a stopwatch.

I installed a set of roadside feed bunks for my bull lots and replacement heifer lots in an attempt to cut feeding time down and stay out of the mud.

I would like to be know how much I'm giving them. Thanks in advance.

A trip hopper with a counter works the best.

The feeder has an adjustable gate, use a 5 gal bucket to catch 1 trip, weigh it and adjust as needed. With it adjusted to 5 lbs per trip (for example), if you want to feed 500lbs total that would be 100 clicks on the counter. Divide that into how many bunks you have, and it's pretty consistent.

With an auger feeder, I'm not sure that there's a good way, aside from a stopwatch as you said. Would have to catch 1 second worth of feed in a bucket, weigh it, and do the same thing.

I've had auger feeders with scales and counters. Scales are more accurate but the counters get close enough for me. Look at B&B or A&A scales. They make a good kits for feeders. Mine had the 10k load cells and lasted for 5-6 years until I took them off. I also have a trip hopper and the counter works good on cubes.

I always way over feed when I don't use the scales or counter.

Latest posts