CAB

Help Support CattleToday:

Bez!":6k379sea said:
lakading":6k379sea said:
bull56":6k379sea said:
Just like most everyone on this post is saying it should be inside the package what it says on the outside.

Lawsuit? Does anyone remember a few years ago when General Motors was sued by some of the Chevy owners...The consumber did not get what they thought they had purchased, a 100% Chevy car.

Where on the CAB packaging does it say that the product is 100% Angus?

http://www.ams.usda.gov/Lsg/certprog/Sc ... ed-GLA.htm

You really do not want to let this go do you?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It would just be nice to ensure it truly WAS Angus in any CAB products.

8)

Bez!

It's not me who won't let it go. You all want to SPECULATE that there is CAB with NO Angus in it. Show me the proof. That's all I ask.

lakading":m5zgjady said:
Bez!":m5zgjady said:
lakading":m5zgjady said:
bull56":m5zgjady said:
Just like most everyone on this post is saying it should be inside the package what it says on the outside.

Lawsuit? Does anyone remember a few years ago when General Motors was sued by some of the Chevy owners...The consumber did not get what they thought they had purchased, a 100% Chevy car.

Where on the CAB packaging does it say that the product is 100% Angus?

http://www.ams.usda.gov/Lsg/certprog/Sc ... ed-GLA.htm

You really do not want to let this go do you?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It would just be nice to ensure it truly WAS Angus in any CAB products.

8)

Bez!

It's not me who won't let it go. You all want to SPECULATE that there is CAB with NO Angus in it. Show me the proof. That's all I ask.

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

:lol:

------------------------

ViaGen DNA test reveals poor beef labelling

04/08/2004 - Between eight and 50 per cent of US retail beef carrying a label with the name 'Angus' does not meet the USDA criteria for Angus branding, according to a recent DNA test.

Two tests were performed on multiple brands of steaks purchased from retail outlets across central Texas. To get a better handle on the scope of the problem, ViaGen, the US-based animal genomics firm that carried out the experiment, followed up with an analysis of meat from four geographic regions sold under a single brand name.

The results were the same in both cases, indicating this is an industry-wide issue and is not brand or region specific.

Labels containing the word 'Angus' are generally an indicator of top quality meat. Branded beef originated when the American Angus Association created the Certified Angus Beef (CAB) designation in 1978 to boost standards and help consumers reliably identify good beef.

Other independent Angus labels followed. Currently, the determination of the amount of Angus is made by a visual inspection of the whole animal. DNA analysis now shows that manual inspection is not always accurate.

The experiment was carried out using AnguSure and Inducator, two new testing kits developed by ViaGen. The tests separately assess the two most common criteria employed in branded beef programmes certified by the USDA: a minimum of 50 per cent Angus (AnguSure) and minimal Brahman influence (Inducator).

"The industry is doing the best they can with the technology available. But these new tests enable producers, consumers and retailers to benefit from increased brand integrity," said Sara Davis ViaGen president.

About three quarters of the samples that failed one or both tests had higher than desired Brahman influence. While a particularly well-suited breed for hot, southern climates, too much Brahman is associated with increased toughness and poor eating quality. Beef that passes both the AnguSure and Inducator tests should therefore ensure consumer satisfaction.

Testing can also be performed on live animals, which ViaGen argues benefits everyone involved in the production and sale of beef.

Offspring of a bull certified as 100 per cent Angus automatically meet the first criterion for Angus branding. Precertification of live cattle allows ranchers to obtain premium prices for their livestock and helps packers ship beef to wholesalers with absolute confidence in quality.

The tests require only a small blood, hair or meat sample to be shipped to the company's lab. Test results can be delivered in as little as two days. ViaGen expects all parts of the industry, from producers to end users, will take advantage of the offerings. The company claims that the tests will be affordably priced to help many industry segments ensure product quality.

The UK's Food Standards Agency has also been working on DNA-based food quality indicators, with the aim of helping food manufacturers to ensure that the meat-free food eaten by vegetarians and people from certain ethnic groups is not contaminated by meat.

The DNA-based technique called qualitative real-time PCR (QRT-PCR) can identify the presence of meat in supposedly vegetarian produce, even at levels as low as 0.05 per cent, although the exact level depends on the actual food.

Studies aimed at quantifying the adulteration of vegetarian foods by meat have shown reasonable success if the food analysed does not contain dairy produce.

Food contaminated with animal by-products is unacceptable to vegetarians as well as many ethnic groups. It is also recognised that unacceptable adulterating species varies with ethnic group. To date, no satisfactory methods have been developed to detect the adulteration of vegetable products with products of animal origin.

Regards,

Bez!

UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
Agricultural Marketing Service
Livestock and Seed Program
Washington, D.C. 20250

SCHEDULE G1 – FEBRUARY 2005

USDA SPECIFICATION FOR CERTIFICATION OF BEEF CARCASS
QUALITY AND YIELD CHARACTERISTICS OF OFFICIALLY GRADED BEEF
FOR THE CERTIFIED ANGUS BEEF PROGRAM

SCOPE
This specification is for certification by an Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) agent of
U.S. Prime and Choice steer and heifer carcasses. AMS does not certify the breed or percentage of breed genetics for Certified Angus Beef program.

PROGRAM SPECIFICATIONS
Carcasses shall: (a) meet the phenotypic requirements of USDA Specification for Characteristics of Cattle Eligible for Approved Beef Programs Claiming Angus Influence (GLA), (b) be practically free (not detracting from visual quality) of capillary rupture in the ribeye, (c) be free of "dark cutting" characteristics, and (d) meet the following set of requirements:

(1) marbling score of minimum Modest or higher;
(2) lean color, texture, firmness, and overall skeletal characteristics, each of which must meet the requirements for A maturity in the U.S. Prime or Choice grade;
(3) a yield grade of 3.9 or numerically lower (except that carcasses evaluated after removal of all or part of the kidney, pelvic and heart fat may not have a yield grade higher than 3.5);
(4) medium or fine marbling texture;
(5) moderately thick or thicker muscling and tend to be moderately wide and thick in relation to their length; and,
(6) no hump exceeding 2 inches in height.

Items 1, 2, and 3 shall be determined in accordance with the "Official United States Standards for Grades of Carcass Beef."

Item 4 shall be evaluated using the USDA-AMS-LS-SB-02 Marbling Texture card.

Item 5, muscle thickness, is evaluated by averaging the thickness of the various parts, considering not only the proportion (%) each part is of the carcass but also the general value of each part. Superior muscle thickness implies a high proportion of meat to bone and a high proportion of the weight of the carcass in the more valuable parts.

Item 6 shall be measured from a line formed by the extension of the top line (including the fat) and measuring the lean muscle (excluding the fat) perpendicular to that line in the center of the hump.

CERTIFICATION

Carcasses to be examined for compliance with the requirements of this specification shall be clearly identified when presented to the AMS agent for certification. Procedures for identification, certification, the removal of preliminary identification marks (or other methods of control) from non-qualifying carcasses, and control of certified carcasses shall be in accordance with established MGCB procedures. The AMS agent shall certify acceptable carcasses and complete the Live Animal/Carcass Certification Worksheet (Form LS-5-6).

The costs of all grading and certification services performed by the AMS agent involving examinations, supervision, official documentation, and related services shall be borne by the person, group, or plant requesting the service.

LABELING

Labeling of Certified Angus Beef's products shall be in compliance with FSIS regulations and LS Policy SP2 (issued July 25, 2002).

Bez!, that's a start. But surely you see that it is referring to all programs with the word "Angus" in the title. We're talking about CAB.

Bez, I see they aren't "EXCLUDING" CAB are they? :lol: :lol:

If you don't "Exclude" one of the angus programs, prolly means you are "INCLUDING" it. EH? :roll: :roll:

Hasn't this subject been hashed and rehashed about once a month for tha past year or so?
What's the point? Those that support it won;t change their minds and neither will those that don't.
If anyone could be sued over it, don;t you thnk some shyster lawyer would have filed a classaction lawsuit by now so he/she/it could line their pockets? Doesn;t even have to have any merit, the seem to figure if you squeel long enough loud enough and often enough someone will cave in and pay up just to shut them up.

dun

MikeC":2p2g1nb3 said:
Bez, I see they aren't "EXCLUDING" CAB are they? :lol: :lol:

If you don't "Exclude" one of the angus programs, prolly means you are "INCLUDING" it. EH? :roll: :roll:

I'm not doubting that you have plenty of ACCUSATIONS and ASSUMPTIONS.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :p :p :p :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p :p :p :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am an average consumer, I buy according to the labels. If it says Certified Angus Beef then I expect to get 100% Angus beef. If it said Certified 50% Angus Beef, the I would expect to pay less, not the same amount. Before joining this board and getting into cattle, I though MOST large solid black cattle were angus. I knew there were reds out there and that some were lims, but I still can't tell them apart and probably never will. I've had some great steaks and some bad ones all with the CAB label. Had I known I wasn't getting what I paid for, I never would have bought them.
To me it's about getting what you pay for. I was paying for what I thought was 100% Angus. I think the advertising is deceptive.
Just my 2 cents.

Gliderider":14y1ittd said:
To me it's about getting what you pay for. I was paying for what I thought was 100% Angus. I think the advertising is deceptive.
Just my 2 cents.

You got what you paid for, just not what you thought you paid for.

dun

I thinking maybe the CAB folks could buy me and the mrs. a bigger place and maybe retire a little early. Got a call into my lawyer. :p :D

Alan

dun":5ustkcjn said:
Gliderider":5ustkcjn said:
Just my 2 cents.

You got what you paid for, just not what you thought you paid for.

dun

LOL...I stand corrected. :oops: :D

I can't do this anymore. Too much fun.

I actually have to take a break - the folks are coming. If it is still ongoing I'll be baaawck.

:lol: :lol:

Bez!

I guess the worst part about it is we only have one black cow so no CAB premiums for us. But our reds seem to garner decent premiums so I'm not about to complain

dun

Frankie:There is no requirement that the animal be Angus, but Angus is the only breed of black cattle in the US, so the black is considered proof of Angus influence.

Guess you never heard of Corriente, Welsh Black, Wagyu, Holstein?

I'm sure there are others also. These are just off the top of my head.

Although I do agree with your part about: "There is no requirement that the animal be Angus". (To qualify for CAB) :p

Alan":cw5qswk2 said:
I thinking maybe the CAB folks could buy me and the mrs. a bigger place and maybe retire a little early. Got a call into my lawyer. :p :D

Alan

At least your lawyer will get paid. :D

lakading,

I think you may have missed the point when I wrote about the chevy. The CAB is the same way. The people bought cars that had Chevrolet on the front, back, books, all labels, etc. But what was under the hood, while it was a GM product, was not what the people had purchased.

The Certified ANGUS Beef is kind of the same thing. The label says Certified ANGUS Beef. True, it would have to be at least 50% angus (Angus X Hereford = Black Baldie with 50% Angus influence), I think that this is fine because if qualifies. The big complaint that everyone is having is when there is no Angus influence (Black Simmental X Hereford, Balck Gelbvieh X Hereford; Black Maine Anjou X Hereford) where is the ANGUS in those black baldie cattle) Not an ouce of Angus blood. Black hair only.

To the unsuspecting consumer, and most urban americans don't know Angus from Jersey, if they buy a product according to what is on the label, they would expect the product inside to be what is on the label. Look at Pork and Beans, when you buy a can of them you expect there to be pork in it, and thankfully there is that 1/2 inch square peice of pork in it that does qualify it to be PORK and beans.

An Angus breeder should be proud that their breed has a program that is very successful. What they should be upset and demand is that the product should be ANGUS influenced gentically as well. If they look at it from the standpoint that what ever percent that qualifies for CAB that has absolutely no Angus influence in it, then they are not receiving all the premium that they should be on their cattle. The Angus people are taking credit for anything that has a black hair coat even if it has no ANGUS breeding in it. That ain't right.

MikeC":2n2p67jz said:
mtnman":2n2p67jz said:
Most of the CAB I have eaten is pretty bland, really.

I would hate to see them marketing taste for CAB, it isn't very tasty to me.

CHB has way more beef taste, than CAB.

mtnman

3 out of 4 taste tests showed it too!

Ok , are these your taste tests or just blind ones.

MikeC":1uabosoi said:
lakading":1uabosoi said:
MikeC":1uabosoi said:
lakading":1uabosoi said:
Alan":1uabosoi said:
The name is misleading the consumer, and by CAB standards Reds would not make it.

Alan

My contention is that the taste is what the brand is selling. You guys I guess think the consumers are picturing black angus cattle instead of a tasty steak in a certain package that satisfies their pallet.

I'm willing to agree to disagree.

Well, disagree with this.........Is there not a "picture" of an "Angus" on the label of every package of CAB beef?

Well, disagree with this.........Is it not the TASTE that brings back the repeat buyers?

Could it be the Sim taste, or the Limi taste? :lol: :lol:

Simi and Limi taste. Sounds like you can tell the difference to me. Bez I take back my comments to you, my applogies if I offended or mispoke.

For there to be a lawsuit, somebody has to be damaged. I defy anyone to submit proof that steaks from purebred Angus would be any more flavorful, nutritious, or enjoyable than the current CAB steaks. If the same then how can there be damages??? IF there are no damages and Angus does make a good faith effort to restrict non-qualifying carcasses from the program you don't have a case.

Latest posts