buying stocker heifers with steers

Help Support CattleToday:

Calhoun Farm

Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting everything lined up to raise stockers this spring, at one time I decided I only wanted to deal with steers or young bulls (cut them). I'm wondering if theirs money in throwing in a few young heifers when I buy and then sell them private as replacements? In my area 350lb heifers are about $.20 cheaper by the pound than steers. I recently sold some 14month old heifers for $1000ea, they won't bring that weight wise at the barn plus I have to pay commission. Just looking for suggestions.

If the bottom falls out, heifers can be converted to cows. There is a shortage of cows right now.

Here there is more than 20$ difference, I wouldn't but any unless they were a real bargain, but I'm not saying you shouldn't.

On second thought, I would have to keep them a year to sell as replacements. Most of my stuff I shoot for 300lb gain and down the road they go. Not sure 600lb heifers would sell as replacements :)

I'm wondering if theirs money in throwing in a few young heifers when I buy and then sell them private as replacements?

Yes and no.
Money can be made if they live and turn out to be quality looking animals as buying at action does carry a risk factor.
Then there are still the unknowns that will bring down your sale price for replacements.
I don't think you will gain any profit selling them as replacements heifer vs beef.

It has been my experience that bought heifers do not make good dollar salable replacement heifers because of all of the unknowns.

Example:
I recently purchased 6 replacement heifers that were destined for Athens from my neighbor who runs a commercial heard.
I paid him the high price for each of their weight class for that weeks market at Athens.
This saved him trucking and commission fees by me buying at the farm.
And also any weight loss due to stress.

Now why would I pay him a premium price for these heifers?
Because I already know:
he runs a closed herd
his heifers almost always bring the high price at the sale barn
I know and can see his cows and bulls
I know how they are well care for
I know what they are feed
I had the time to look them over carefully
In short I know every thing about these heifers as if they were my own.
There were no unknown for me at the time of purchase.

Now had these very same heifers gone to action and I didn't know all of the above and didn't know they were my neighbors animals by the NT tag, I would have only bid about 25% less then what I paid for them and most likely not been able to purchase them, as other buyers who know the seller by the code of the NT tag would have surly out bid me.

Hope this helps
Liz

Calhoun Farm":lti6azk8 said:
On second thought, I would have to keep them a year to sell as replacements. Most of my stuff I shoot for 300lb gain and down the road they go. Not sure 600lb heifers would sell as replacements :)
Nope, I think your steer plan is the way to go.

denvermartinfarms":i5qt3oxg said:
Calhoun Farm":i5qt3oxg said:
Nope, I think your steer plan is the way to go.

Me too.

A lot of times I see stocker heifers discounted more deeply than they should be. I'm not a fan of the replacement project you're proposing but check the numbers, there can be a few more dollars in a grass heifer at various times than one might think. If you've got a couple different fields, maybe try heifers in one.

js1234":3f4kj90s said:
A lot of times I see stocker heifers discounted more deeply than they should be. I'm not a fan of the replacement project you're proposing but check the numbers, there can be a few more dollars in a grass heifer at various times than one might think. If you've got a couple different fields, maybe try heifers in one.

Only one of our fields has water access, the others are used for hay. What would be the issue keeping steers with heifers?

What would be the issue keeping steers with heifers?
None! Just don't run any bulls with them.

I do it all the time when I wean calves and/or buy feeder steers.
When I buy feeder steers I often run them right in with my cow/calf herd with the bull in there.

The only problem with running a mixed gender herd is the chance of heifers getting bred.
Steers you can put with any herd, mixed or not, and not create any problems.

As you only have one water supply it would be best for you to only run steers, unless of course you have no bull (s).
Or you can segregate your bull during the time when the heifers may come in heat until sale time.
Or you could run the heifers with a bull present but you take the chance they will get bred, therefor being forced to sell the heifers as replacement bred heifers if they are showing. And that could cost you around 20% off of beef market prices depending if there are any buyers present who are specifically looking for bred heifers.

It has been my experience that bred heifers go at bargain prices because:
the beef side of the supply chain doesn't want them and there are too many unknowns to justify a price above what the beef market would pay.

Liz

Latest posts