Buying steer

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
We have an opportunity to buy a steer/steers from a private party that is a friend of our neighbors. They are all BWF, weight ranging from weanling on up. Any size for 83 cents/lb.
My question is which is the better deal a little one or a big one? We don't have tons of pasture,especially as the dry weather hits in August. but would be ok with putting out a lick tub and feeding hay if needed.. Don't really need the beef right now, so I'm leaning toward a smaller one.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
Susie

susie":1olbxrsq said:
which is the better deal a little one or a big one?

"One" as in herd size or size of calves/steers?

BTW, sounds like you've got not too bad of a deal.

susie":3udjibnh said:
We have an opportunity to buy a steer/steers from a private party that is a friend of our neighbors. They are all BWF, weight ranging from weanling on up. Any size for 83 cents/lb.
My question is which is the better deal a little one or a big one? We don't have tons of pasture,especially as the dry weather hits in August. but would be ok with putting out a lick tub and feeding hay if needed.. Don't really need the beef right now, so I'm leaning toward a smaller one.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
Susie

At 83 cents, I'd buy everyone he has and ask for more. This is a very good deal - as long as they are under 1000# - it will just depend on your needs, what your pasture can handle. The big question is who's doing the weighing of these steers ?

Buy as many as he'll sell, keep one back for yourself and take the others off to the market. If these steers are in good condition you shouldn't do anything but make money with them.

Depends on what your market is there, but if I fell into a deal like that here I would buy every single one, keep what I wanted and sale the rest. Right now 300 weights are going for $1.67/lb +/- a little at what used to be the "cheap" sale barn. I could double my money as long as they didn't need much conditioning.

Wish you weren't so far away or I might take a few off his hands, but of course the fuel cost would eat any profits.

Yes it seems like a good deal- We haven't looked at them yet, I'm pretty sure it's only because my neighbor is his friend that we are getting in on such a bargain. We did ask how many are available, because selling them occurred to us too, but we don't want to be greedy and take advantage . So our neighbor will find out.
good point about the weighing, I'll find that out.
I was trying to determine, say if we only get one, would it be a better deal to buy a smaller steer or a bigger steer, since like I said they range in size from just weaned on up. Usually the smaller ones sell for more, but a bigger steer would require less input from us to get to butchering size...thus my question.

Keep you posted,
Susie

susie":oqqm0ubb said:
Yes it seems like a good deal- We haven't looked at them yet, I'm pretty sure it's only because my neighbor is his friend that we are getting in on such a bargain. We did ask how many are available, because selling them occurred to us too, but we don't want to be greedy and take advantage . So our neighbor will find out.
good point about the weighing, I'll find that out.
I was trying to determine, say if we only get one, would it be a better deal to buy a smaller steer or a bigger steer, since like I said they range in size from just weaned on up. Usually the smaller ones sell for more, but a bigger steer would require less input from us to get to butchering size...thus my question.

Keep you posted,
Susie

The smallers sell for more money per pound at a yard, but you have less pounds so its may not actually translate into more money in your pocket.

IMO - If your just buying for beef for yourself then you are getting essentially the same deal regardless of if you choose a large one or a smaller one

Susie...to bad you are on the other side of the hills or Susie and I would come over and get a trailer load...8 and 10 weight.
IMO if you have limited pasture and a need for the big boys, I'd buy all that are available.
If they are raised the way we grow our beef then you are letting the other fella fatten the steers on his dime and for us the bigger the better. Yes this is a real good deal.
Good luck...Dave Mc
Just how far west are y'all?

Just how far west are y'all?

We're between Seattle and Tacoma, a little east - closest town is Enumclaw, although we have an Auburn address. On the Green River- it's nice here- come by any time.

Susie

susie":3mcj3pe6 said:

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
Susie

Call up the closest sale barn and find out what the prices are today.

Go and buy what you want for yourself.

If you figure money can be made - buy them all and directly ship the remainder to the barn.

Remember - the advice you get here depends on the area the person providing the advice lives.

In my area you can buy those animals for less - but they generally only go for about 75 cents a pound at the sale barn.

Do your homework before you spend the money. Local knowledge is imperative!!!

Otherwise buy TWO - for your own freezer. Raise them up - take the best one - by the way NOT always the biggest - for yourself and toss the other for whatever you can get.

Regards,

Bez?

The first thing I would do is ask for a clarification. If the price is actually 83 cents a pound, you can't go wrong. I'd say you have a bargain on your hands. Is there a catch? Do you have to catch them without a pen or what?

Latest posts