BUYING SEMAN

Help Support CattleToday:

herfdog

Reaction score
I have been looking at seman on the internet for example
seman $25/straw $100/certificate
what is the certificate thing all about? thanks

-You buy semen from a registered bull for $25.
-You AI the cow and she calves.
-You want to register the calf, you must buy the certificate to register the calf.

$100 per certificate seems a bit high but I normally purchase Black Angus semen. Usually the certificates are around $35 on average.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1wzccmvu said:
You're looking at the wrong breed :p Simmental breed does not require "certificates". Buy semen, breed cows of any breed, register offspring as 1/2 blood thru purebreds.
Same with Brahman, no charge. I really don't understand this charge. Almost seems like they penelize you for registering.

There are some sires in the Hereford Breed that do not require certs either. AHA has a list of them on their site.

herfdog":2y9dl8km said:

Some people buy bulls for thousands of dollars and collect them for use by other breeders. The $25 probably doesn't much more than cover the cost of collecting, storing and shipping the semen. The certificate thing is payment for using another's bull.

Frankie":1pms86kg said:
herfdog":1pms86kg said:

Some people buy bulls for thousands of dollars and collect them for use by other breeders. The $25 probably doesn't much more than cover the cost of collecting, storing and shipping the semen. The certificate thing is payment for using another's bull.

Semen we have bought goes anywhere from $15 per straw up to $75. Certs are $5 through the Santa Gertrudis association. Still a lot cheaper then $125 per calf + $25 per straw that does not settle a cow.

greatgerts":3i1w6qyk said:
Frankie":3i1w6qyk said:
herfdog":3i1w6qyk said:

Semen we have bought goes anywhere from $15 per straw up to $75. Certs are $5 through the Santa Gertrudis association. Still a lot cheaper then $125 per calf + $25 per straw that does not settle a cow.

You don't buy the cert until you register the calf. So if the $25 straw doesn't settle the cow, you're only out $25. If it's more than you're willing to pay, don't pay it. The value of the calf may or may not make it worth using bulls with higher priced semen and certificates. Your choice.

Frankie":3eu1lnkv said:
herfdog":3eu1lnkv said:

Last time I checked collecting was around $2.00 a straw and storage is minimal. Shipping would be the responsibility of the purchaser. Trust me they are making money at $25 a straw. They probably aren't going to pay for that over priced bull but they aren't losing money on selling semen.

The highest I have seen a certificate sell for is $50 and that is only on a couple of bulls. Oddly though it seems that the bulls that have the higher $ certs aren't neccisarily the most popular bulls out there like one would imagine. I think the more owners of the bull the higher the cert cost. Moneymaker, Midland, Franchise, Benchmark, On Target just to name a few.

Personally I won't use a bull like moneymaker or franchise with as young and unproven as they are even on a small scale if the semen is going to run $30 to $50 and the cert is $50..... that is $100 plus breeding fees assuming cow conceives on first shot, on a calf out of an unproven bull. I would much rather use a bull that costs less and is more proven.

Latest posts