Buying Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Then there are those who want to sell cattle full. Buy one of these at a discounted price, take 4 or 5% off and see if the animal is still cheap at the lesser weight.

Love them bull calves and stags. Not so much the horned cattle. They take far to long to get going if the dehorning job is done right.

pricefarm said:
Went today and look at the calves that man had for sale. I passed they where rough.

Those can be the kind to buy if they are healthy.

Sold some heifers for 1.35 last week weighing 453. They cost .72 weighing 284. I'm happy. Especially when it included calves with white spots in their eyes.

kenny thomas said:
Sold some heifers for 1.35 last week weighing 453. They cost .72 weighing 284. I'm happy. Especially when it included calves with white spots in their eyes.

Any tips on how to tell if a calf is healthy that's in the sale ring? A couple I bought I have had a rough time with. Lost one and the other one is starting to recover. Both with respiratory problems. They seemed ok going through the ring but as soon as I got them home I could tell they where sick.

kenny thomas said:
I haven't been to the Tri State yard in years but can still tell you what is going on. Todd Hurt is probably the one in the ring. He buys for a couple companies. Todd, Sanders, and a few more will be the Kingsport buyers.
If most people really realized what goes on at a sale they would be really surprised.

I could write multiple books on the subject. I agree there are good cattle buyers, but even the "honest" ones are a little crooked . They have to be or they wouldn't in in the game very long.
You know what they say "Liar liar cattle buyer"

pricefarm said:
kenny thomas said:

Any tips on how to tell if a calf is healthy that's in the sale ring? A couple I bought I have had a rough time with. Lost one and the other one is starting to recover. Both with respiratory problems. They seemed ok going through the ring but as soon as I got them home I could tell they where sick.
It's just one of those things that years of doctoring sick ones make you aware of. The ears, their eyes, how they hold their head. Sometimes one is healthy and picks something up at the sale barn. But not by the time you get home.

Latest posts