Buying Land In South Dakota/Wyoming

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie":3ee9atn3 said:
I know of some land in a good location in Wyoming with corrals and hay land already there, how much are you looking for?

A significant amount, water is the primary concern. I'll drop you a PM, thanks.

msscamp":3i722ja8 said:
sanchez":3i722ja8 said:
msscamp":3i722ja8 said:
sanchez":3i722ja8 said:
Well hopefully I posted this in the correct forum. I've been reading and searching for the past week. I'm getting ready to retire from my telecom business and am looking for a change of pace. I have little experience with cattle, but I've owned and been around horses and sheep since I hit the ground. I'm currently in H ell-on-earth (Phoenix, AZ) and want to move to a colder climate.

So my question is, I'm looking to purchase a decent tract of land to live on full time in the Northwest/Central area, preferably in a cold climate that is cattle-friendly as I want to start a hobby cattle operation. I love South Dakota and Wyoming because of how sprawled out the areas are, and how unbelievably friendly people are. Is there anything in particular I should look for in the property search endeavor? According to the realtors I've talked to, soil is generally not an issue, and ground water (+ irrigation) is pretty common.

Any insight, or the occasional scolding is greatly appreciated.

Yeah, I've got a little insight for you - depending on the type of operation you're looking to start. Are you familiar with -40 to -60 degree(rare, but it does happen) temperatures, and do you know how to keep your calves ears (if not the calves themselves) from freezing? Are you aware that Wyoming is in an 8 year drought and, if we don't get some relief very soon, there will be no water for irrigation - or anything else, for that matter - sometime within the next couple of years? Are you prepared to attempt to live a dream in a state that has, on average(in a normal year), 10" of rainfall/year? Maybe you need to get the stars out of your eyes, and do a little research. Yes, the people in Wyoming are friendly, but the environment is not - as witnessed by the number of people from Colorado (and many other states) that bought land here, only to sell out a year later and move back where they came from.

I appreciate your candid response - definitely what I was looking for. I lived in both extremes and realize the impacts of both (125F Summers, and way below zero winters). I've done quiet a bit of research, and noticed that a multitude of areas across the nation are in a drought, and have been for some time, so I assure you there's no "stars in my eyes" as you call it, but I was looking for candid input on the area.

I was afraid that my response would be seen as harsh, and I'm glad you didn't take it that way. :) Good for you! I was hoping you would come back with this type of response, and I wish you the very best! :D

Absolutely - Thanks, it's much appreciated.

Latest posts