Buying Land In South Dakota/Wyoming

Help Support CattleToday:

sanchez

Reaction score
Well hopefully I posted this in the correct forum. I've been reading and searching for the past week. I'm getting ready to retire from my telecom business and am looking for a change of pace. I have little experience with cattle, but I've owned and been around horses and sheep since I hit the ground. I'm currently in H ell-on-earth (Phoenix, AZ) and want to move to a colder climate.

So my question is, I'm looking to purchase a decent tract of land to live on full time in the Northwest/Central area, preferably in a cold climate that is cattle-friendly as I want to start a hobby cattle operation. I love South Dakota and Wyoming because of how sprawled out the areas are, and how unbelievably friendly people are. Is there anything in particular I should look for in the property search endeavor? According to the realtors I've talked to, soil is generally not an issue, and ground water (+ irrigation) is pretty common.

Any insight, or the occasional scolding is greatly appreciated.

I would think you would want to look for property that might be located within reasonable distance to :

Large Animal Vet
Sale Barn
Aq Equipment Store
Feed Store

It could be very helpful to purchase property adjacent to or close to other cattlemen.

Good luck !

arkcowman":a0b6xpzy said:
I would think you would want to look for property that might be located within reasonable distance to :

Large Animal Vet
Sale Barn
Aq Equipment Store
Feed Store

It could be very helpful to purchase property adjacent to or close to other cattlemen.

Good luck !

You know that is really good advice! I am on a family place that has been here forever so would have never thought about what to look for if I was starting new somewhere. Large animal vets are getting hard to come by around here. Used to have a good one, now it is all about fancy horsies, not ranch hosses or cows.

arkcowman":21fnqxj6 said:

Large Animal Vet
Sale Barn
Aq Equipment Store
Feed Store

Good luck !

Thanks for the input - greatly appreciated.

Sanchez, Fist of all welcome. Man there is so much to learn about land in that neck of the prairie. You can go from bottom type irrigated land that is among the best producing in the world to sage desert that a jack rabbit has got to pack a lunch to venture into. What are you looking for?

mnmtranching":23qg18pl said:
Sanchez, Fist of all welcome. Man there is so much to learn about land in that neck of the prairie. You can go from bottom type irrigated land that is among the best producing in the world to sage desert that a jack rabbit has got to pack a lunch to venture into. What are you looking for?

Thanks for the response.

Haha - well based upon what I had seen over the few weeks I was in that area over the summer, the land is so diverse (one of the reasons I love it), but naturally something with a significant amount of prarie. I'm really just looking on suggestions for areas that are prone to ranching, low populated, plenty of available land, and of course, decent water. I'm in Arizona now and want to move up north to a cooler climate, somewhere that actually has four seasons, snow fall, decent people, low traffic, etc.

Sanchez, WY is like one big energy project. New gas wells, oil rigs and new graved roads where ever you look. Seems a shame, but pretty much true. I took a mid Oct trip to WY. Didn't see the whole state, but that vast country from Powder River through to Casper, Lander, Riverton, Gillette, to the SD border is nothing but energy everywhere. Not the pristine country is was just a few years ago. My opinion. Of course there must be some unspoiled areas. I wish you luck.

mnmtranching":2mb671il said:
Sanchez, WY is like one big energy project. New gas wells, oil rigs and new graved roads where ever you look. Seems a shame, but pretty much true. I took a mid Oct trip to WY. Didn't see the whole state, but that vast country from Powder River through to Casper, Lander, Riverton, Gillette, to the SD border is nothing but energy everywhere. Not the pristine country is was just a few years ago. My opinion. Of course there must be some unspoiled areas. I wish you luck.

Besides the obvious mineral rights issues, "devaluing" of property and potential nuisance of oil equipment, is there any other negatives of this? I'm pretty much immune to this as I lived in the four corners (Co-Utah-NM-AZ) area for quiet some time, but are there any negatives I'm missing? Thanks

sanchez":2zcgpiij said:
mnmtranching":2zcgpiij said:

Besides the obvious mineral rights issues, "devaluing" of property and potential nuisance of oil equipment, is there any other negatives of this? I'm pretty much immune to this as I lived in the four corners (Co-Utah-NM-AZ) area for quiet some time, but are there any negatives I'm missing? Thanks

I know were a energy hungry nation, and eventually the fossil fuels will have to be extracted from even the most pristine of wilderness's. Not that I'm against going after it, I just enjoy unspoiled areas. When you have your place in WY I hope you don't have the views of gas wells, oil pumpers or dust plums from trailer pulling tanker trucks.

I can think of a couple more negatives. There will be no quiet walks. no still nights with sounds of the prairie. Tankers do not slow down or pull over on the narrow dusty gravel, that's your responsibility. Wildlife is practically non existent. Air quality is reduced, and water quality is gone forever. Energy booms bring in riff raff, folks are locking doors for the first time, crime rate, Make shift housing, range land development. Ummmm that's about it.

sanchez":hielsw49 said:
Well hopefully I posted this in the correct forum. I've been reading and searching for the past week. I'm getting ready to retire from my telecom business and am looking for a change of pace. I have little experience with cattle, but I've owned and been around horses and sheep since I hit the ground. I'm currently in H ell-on-earth (Phoenix, AZ) and want to move to a colder climate.

So my question is, I'm looking to purchase a decent tract of land to live on full time in the Northwest/Central area, preferably in a cold climate that is cattle-friendly as I want to start a hobby cattle operation. I love South Dakota and Wyoming because of how sprawled out the areas are, and how unbelievably friendly people are. Is there anything in particular I should look for in the property search endeavor? According to the realtors I've talked to, soil is generally not an issue, and ground water (+ irrigation) is pretty common.

Yeah, I've got a little insight for you - depending on the type of operation you're looking to start. Are you familiar with -40 to -60 degree(rare, but it does happen) temperatures, and do you know how to keep your calves ears (if not the calves themselves) from freezing? Are you aware that Wyoming is in an 8 year drought and, if we don't get some relief very soon, there will be no water for irrigation - or anything else, for that matter - sometime within the next couple of years? Are you prepared to attempt to live a dream in a state that has, on average(in a normal year), 10" of rainfall/year? Maybe you need to get the stars out of your eyes, and do a little research. Yes, the people in Wyoming are friendly, but the environment is not - as witnessed by the number of people from Colorado (and many other states) that bought land here, only to sell out a year later and move back where they came from.

mnmtranching":16nbskkj said:
sanchez":16nbskkj said:
mnmtranching":16nbskkj said:

I know were a energy hungry nation, and eventually the fossil fuels will have to be extracted from even the most pristine of wilderness's. Not that I'm against going after it, I just enjoy unspoiled areas. When you have your place in WY I hope you don't have the views of gas wells, oil pumpers or dust plums from trailer pulling tanker trucks.

I can think of a couple more negatives. There will be no quiet walks. no still nights with sounds of the prairie. Tankers do not slow down or pull over on the narrow dusty gravel, that's your responsibility. Wildlife is practically non existent. Air quality is reduced, and water quality is gone forever. Energy booms bring in riff raff, folks are locking doors for the first time, crime rate, Make shift housing, range land development. Ummmm that's about it.

I couldn't agree with you more, but unfortunately it seems like so much of the nation that is rural, and west of the Mississippi, has gone that way. Definitely something to keep in mind - your insight is appreciated.

msscamp":1o1n60p5 said:
sanchez":1o1n60p5 said:

Yeah, I've got a little insight for you - depending on the type of operation you're looking to start. Are you familiar with -40 to -60 degree(rare, but it does happen) temperatures, and do you know how to keep your calves ears (if not the calves themselves) from freezing? Are you aware that Wyoming is in an 8 year drought and, if we don't get some relief very soon, there will be no water for irrigation - or anything else, for that matter - sometime within the next couple of years? Are you prepared to attempt to live a dream in a state that has, on average(in a normal year), 10" of rainfall/year? Maybe you need to get the stars out of your eyes, and do a little research. Yes, the people in Wyoming are friendly, but the environment is not - as witnessed by the number of people from Colorado (and many other states) that bought land here, only to sell out a year later and move back where they came from.

I appreciate your candid response - definitely what I was looking for. I lived in both extremes and realize the impacts of both (125F Summers, and way below zero winters). I've done quiet a bit of research, and noticed that a multitude of areas across the nation are in a drought, and have been for some time, so I assure you there's no "stars in my eyes" as you call it, but I was looking for candid input on the area.

Wyoming is very diverse state by location. There are areas with heavy oil & gas production, coal, cattle, farming, and recreation. Where I'm located we are 7500 ft. mostly prairie grass land, yet 20 minutes to the mountains. We have blizzards, wind, but the coldest I've seen it was -21 wind chill.
Areas like the Sheridan area are 3000 ft. 20 minutes to mountains and good hay and alfalfa land, but expensive because of the views. Then there are areas of miles of desert sage.
You can find what you are are looking for, but you need to look at it all, not visit say Casper and judge Wyoming as a whole.

Central Kentucky has the best value currently with acreage price and expected forage growth during the season and moderate temperatures.

msscamp":3vridr23 said:
sanchez":3vridr23 said:

Good luck Snachez....I left Arizona a number of years ago and haven't looked back (worked the Globe area as a kid). If I had it to do over I'd spend some time visiting the areas that sounded promising when I was doing the paper search and gathering the ads for ranches for sale.
Being familiar with the four corners area you know about the isolation that can come with living in a rural setting....going grocery shopping can be a weekend adventure for the family.
As I get older I wish that fortune had settled me in a slightly warmer climate with good water and reliable rain fall and not as many winter months to contend with.
We're being discovered by the northern migration and can see good farm land now growing sub-divisions and yuppie ranchetes complete with the llamas and plastic fences springing up around Spokane.
Know what yor really want and know what you are getting into...and enjoy the journey there.
And that's my two bits worth....asked for or not....DMc

Susie David":37pihauc said:
Good luck Snachez....I left Arizona a number of years ago and haven't looked back (worked the Globe area as a kid). If I had it to do over I'd spend some time visiting the areas that sounded promising when I was doing the paper search and gathering the ads for ranches for sale.
Being familiar with the four corners area you know about the isolation that can come with living in a rural setting....going grocery shopping can be a weekend adventure for the family.
As I get older I wish that fortune had settled me in a slightly warmer climate with good water and reliable rain fall and not as many winter months to contend with.
We're being discovered by the northern migration and can see good farm land now growing sub-divisions and yuppie ranchetes complete with the llamas and plastic fences springing up around Spokane.
Know what yor really want and know what you are getting into...and enjoy the journey there.
And that's my two bits worth....asked for or not....DMc

I lived in Post Falls as a kid, so I can definitely appreciate the complaint. I'm totally done with *urban* living, if you can call it that.

Thanks for the response.

Sanchez, Good conversation you got started here. Glad to participate. Keep up the good posts.

mnmt

I know of some land in a good location in Wyoming with corrals and hay land already there, how much are you looking for?

sanchez":33m2a8jn said:
msscamp":33m2a8jn said:
sanchez":33m2a8jn said:

I appreciate your candid response - definitely what I was looking for. I lived in both extremes and realize the impacts of both (125F Summers, and way below zero winters). I've done quiet a bit of research, and noticed that a multitude of areas across the nation are in a drought, and have been for some time, so I assure you there's no "stars in my eyes" as you call it, but I was looking for candid input on the area.

I was afraid that my response would be seen as harsh, and I'm glad you didn't take it that way. :) Good for you! I was hoping you would come back with this type of response, and I wish you the very best! :D

Latest posts