Buying hay field? Is it possible?

Help Support CattleToday:

Andrew

Reaction score
Hello,
I would like to know if there are people out there in N. Texas that would buy a field to hay. Not offering to sell, I'm just posing a question.
The reason I ask is because I just had 100 ac planted with Oats, WW, and ryegrass+clover and since I don't have any haying equipment or enough caows to graze it, I would probably need to just sell it to someone as a stand of grass and the buyer would have to come in, bale it and haul it away.

Do people actually do this or is it a common practice? I've only grazed cattle but never baled any hay and that's why I'm asking.

I'm spending about $4k to do all this; not including fertilizer, and I just want to see if I can make my money back.

Thanks,
Andrew

Don't know about actually buying a field, but I have several neighbors who lease several fields every yr. They are responsible for the upkeep (fertilizer/fencing) and in turn they bale the hay and sell it most of the time. Seems to be a win/win situation for both parties. Farmers get extra hay to sell, owners get to keep ag exemption and a little pocket change.

With the weather situation the last couple yrs, you shouldnt have any problem leasing it out if you put a sign on the local feed store board or put an ad in the paper.

I lease 3 hayfields but buying a field is something different.
I just don't put my hay equipment in any field. Lot of difference in a planted pasture and a hay field.

Andrew":2xbh24vg said:
Hello,
I would like to know if there are people out there in N. Texas that would buy a field to hay. Not offering to sell, I'm just posing a question.
The reason I ask is because I just had 100 ac planted with Oats, WW, and ryegrass+clover and since I don't have any haying equipment or enough caows to graze it, I would probably need to just sell it to someone as a stand of grass and the buyer would have to come in, bale it and haul it away.

Do people actually do this or is it a common practice? I've only grazed cattle but never baled any hay and that's why I'm asking.

I'm spending about $4k to do all this; not including fertilizer, and I just want to see if I can make my money back.

Thanks,
Andrew

Did you pay someone to plant this field? What was your original intention, if you didn't plan on baling it yourself?
You can always hire somone to bale it, then sell it right from the field.......................

It is a common practice to "buy hay standing" up here. We do this on 300 acres of alfalfa. We have all the inputs in haying it (cutting, baling and picking the bales) We paid $30/ton standing on straight alfalfa this year, that has varied with the price of baled hay. Once baled it is up to us to get some of the bales weighed and let the owner know how many ton we took off.

It is a common practice to "buy hay standing" up here. We do this on 300 acres of alfalfa. We have all the inputs in haying it (cutting, baling and picking the bales) We paid $30/ton standing on straight alfalfa this year, that price has varied in the past, with the price of baled hay. Once baled it is up to us to get some of the bales weighed and let the owner know how many ton we took off.

Several around here cut hay on halves. The owner of the land pays for the fertilizer and the up keep on the land and the other partner cuts and rolls the hay. Each gets half of the hay.

alabama":3g1z4okw said:
Several around here cut hay on halves. The owner of the land pays for the fertilizer and the up keep on the land and the other partner cuts and rolls the hay. Each gets half of the hay.

Ditto

Thanks a lot for the responses. I spoke with a neighbor that deals in hay and he told me the same thing. He can bale it and take half of the bales. He also said he might buy the other half.

The reason had the whole 100 ac ploed and planted in different winter varieties is because I'm in a learning mode and want to see first hand how winter crops work in this area. I don't any neighbors doing it here and never got any concrete reasons as of why. Everybody just feeds hay.

I tried hay my first year in the business and didn't like it one bit. The second winter I just had my cattle graze standing hay on leased property and they seemed to do much better.

This will be my third winter. BTW: I sure picked a lousy time to get into the cattle business. I mean because of the two consecutive drought years. Hopefully my cows will survive.

Since I just acquired this other land where the winter crops are going, I want to see how the cows react to eating green pasture in the winter.

Thanks again.

Andrew

Andrew":29vbzvvc said:
Thanks a lot for the responses. I spoke with a neighbor that deals in hay and he told me the same thing. He can bale it and take half of the bales. He also said he might buy the other half.

If you are going on halves, you should have many takers. Coastal is selling for $110 at the feed stores. I am asking $80 for better hay than the feed store has. I paid $14.50 to have it baled. That would have been $40 on the halves.

I have a couple fields here in TN, that the landowner provides the fertilizer. I do all the cutting, baling, etc. then pay the land owner 1/3 of market price for each bale.

Latest posts