Buying feeder bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbillycwo

Reaction score
I was wondering ... it seems in my area the cattle buyers are getting good bull feeders at a 20-25 cwt discount over the same type steers for the 300-400 and 400-500 weights. This is fairly consistent. Are they cutting these calves weaning them and then reselling them in 2-3 months as 600-700 wts? I hve been penciling on this and it looks like you could make a little bit doing that right now. I have the facilities to do so/ Hay is about 25 per 1200 pd roll and 50/50 corn distillers grain is abot 300 per ton. Was thinking about 10-20 of these. Thoughts?

There probably is money to be made if everything goes well. If they haven't been cut what else hasn't been done? Also be careful of the heifer mates.

there is a reason they are sold at a discount
you had better know what you are doing- as the likelihood of a train wreck are higher-esp if you can' read subtle signs

and they take more work

I hope it works but here the bull calves are not that much cheaper this week. Same quality maybe 3-5 cheaper. Reason is the weather cooled off. Easier on the calf. I bought a few this week weighing 364 costing 137.17 average. Probably ship them in December but might just send them to Jed for the winter.

hillbillycwo":hq9ce48q said:
I was wondering ... it seems in my area the cattle buyers are getting good bull feeders at a 20-25 cwt discount over the same type steers for the 300-400 and 400-500 weights. This is fairly consistent. Are they cutting these calves weaning them and then reselling them in 2-3 months as 600-700 wts? I hve been penciling on this and it looks like you could make a little bit doing that right now. I have the facilities to do so/ Hay is about 25 per 1200 pd roll and 50/50 corn distillers grain is abot 300 per ton. Was thinking about 10-20 of these. Thoughts?

I think it would be hard to make money paying $300 a ton for feed. I know you have a couple choices in your area for about $200 a ton if you can take 3 ton at a time.

If I decide to try it the calves would definitely get vaccinated and isolated form everything else and would go ahead and give Shipping fever prevents before they hit the farm. Cut too for that matter. Will see how they are going on the market. Not sold on the idea but does look like a niche that might just pay a little bit come spring time. Gonna depend on the fall cutting of hay before I completely decide.

I used to buy a lot of cutter bulls. You have to assume they have never had a shot. Break even for me was about $10 back of steers due to more health problems and a little less gain... A good deal if you have the labor and facilites and skill to handle them. A great deal if you can buy small bunches of bulls and sell a load steers. :cowboy:

BC":2s44cplr said:
ANAZAZI":2s44cplr said:
It is also entirely possible to feed them out as bulls.
Not here in US. Bullocks are severely discounted.

Few consumers notice the difference between meat from steers and meat from bulls under 18 months.
Would they be discounted sold to the abattoir at slaughter size?

ANAZAZI":xf4j1aa2 said:
BC":xf4j1aa2 said:
ANAZAZI":xf4j1aa2 said:
It is also entirely possible to feed them out as bulls.
Not here in US. Bullocks are severely discounted.

Few consumers notice the difference between meat from steers and meat from bulls under 18 months.
Would they be discounted sold to the abattoir at slaughter size?
Yes they would sell for a severe discount. Only way tgo avoid that discount would be to sell to an individual.

At the local markets in central Kentucky the buyers look for any reason to discount the calves they buy. Color, bobbed tails, small white spots in eye, scurred anything. Good business and with today's shrinking margins I guess I can't blame them but the price different between comparable bull calves and steers just sickens me sometimes. Haven't tried buying any bull calves but I bet if I did they would just run the price up knowing I was trying to get some, cut and vaccinate them. I think I could make some money on them. I may look at buying 5 and cutting them and vaccinating for blackleg and see how it goes.

hillbillycwo":eelfz7io said:
At the local markets in central Kentucky the buyers look for any reason to discount the calves they buy. Color, bobbed tails, small white spots in eye, scurred anything. Good business and with today's shrinking margins I guess I can't blame them but the price different between comparable bull calves and steers just sickens me sometimes. Haven't tried buying any bull calves but I bet if I did they would just run the price up knowing I was trying to get some, cut and vaccinate them. I think I could make some money on them. I may look at buying 5 and cutting them and vaccinating for blackleg and see how it goes.
Do you have a cheaper source for feed than the $300 you talked about before? Can you take 3 tons at a time? I think it would be hard to make anything at the $300 a ton rate.

Tom, I have enough grass and good quality hay that left that I won't have to pour the feed to em to make some on them. I won't get rich doing it and I would expect about an overage of 1.5 pounds a day in gain. Get them around mid November (4-5 wts) and grass, hay, feed until around mid April (6-7 wts). Kinda hedging that there will be price increase in that size range in the spring to help the feed offset. Main thing the feed is for me (small operator) is a forced savings account. Would start them out in the weaning pen on free choice hay and 4-6 pds each of corn/distillers grain 50/50 mix working them up to about 8-10pds each a day. Would get between 5-10 black calves. If I try it I will keep my reciepts to see what kind of profit/loss it carries over that time period. I wouldn't try it if I didn't have the grass/hay. Well I have it now anyway our winter may change be cold and wet instead of cold and frozen.

Latest posts