Cone Feeder Risk

Help Support CattleToday:

Stickney94

Reaction score
Arrived home yesterday afternoon and found a long yearling had gotten their head stuck in the bale feeder (cone style) and hung/suffocated themselves. My first thought was that the animal had gotten some unremoved sisal twine around their neck and strangled (we've had twine catch on ear tags and cattle have ripped off their tag/part of ear). But there was no twine involved.

Anyone ever hear of the bale falling onto an animal's head neck while feeding? With cone style feeders the bale can get eaten in a bit of mushroom shape and we often tip the bale core over so the animals can feed easier. Been using cone feeders for nearly 10 years with no issues other than the twine thing.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Arrived home yesterday afternoon and found a long yearling had gotten their head stuck in the bale feeder (cone style) and hung/suffocated themselves. My first thought was that the animal had gotten some unremoved sisal twine around their neck and strangled (we've had twine catch on ear tags and cattle have ripped off their tag/part of ear). But there was no twine involved.

Anyone ever hear of the bale falling onto an animal's head neck while feeding? With cone style feeders the bale can get eaten in a bit of mushroom shape and we often tip the bale core over so the animals can feed easier. Been using cone feeders for nearly 10 years with no issues other than the twine thing.

Anyone have any other ideas?
From past goat world, I've heard of the top heavy part of the bale falling onto their heads while feeding-trap/suffocate/broken neck