Buying equipment that may have a lien on it

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Did a online search and found a tractor I may consider is financed. Could the bank come back on the buyer? Or should a person ask for proof it was paid off? He does not know that I know this. How would you handle it?

hurleyjd":16rgpqmk said:
Call the bank and make the check payable to the owner and the bank so each has to sign to cash.
Just wonder if he will even admit it has a lien on it? I did a search to see if it possibly did and shows active until 2/2017. He may get upset thinking I was being nosy, but just trying to protect myself.

tom4018":3b16ltxa said:
hurleyjd":3b16ltxa said:
Call the bank and make the check payable to the owner and the bank so each has to sign to cash.
Just wonder if he will even admit it has a lien on it? I did a search to see if it possibly did and shows active until 2/2017. He may get upset thinking I was being nosy, but just trying to protect myself.

Did he tell you it was "free and clear"? People misrepresent all the time.

Nothing wrong with protecting yourself Tom.

TennesseeTuxedo":sb33as15 said:
tom4018":sb33as15 said:
hurleyjd":sb33as15 said:

Did he tell you it was "free and clear"? People misrepresent all the time.

Nothing wrong with protecting yourself Tom.
No I just did a UCC search with his name and it shows a lien. I have not asked yet, it is not exactly what I want but in my budget.

TennesseeTuxedo":1i6iq9ms said:
M-5":1i6iq9ms said:
Ask him and tell him that since you are buying you want to run the vin number before you purchase it.

Exactly, do what the bully suggests. Otherwise he'll punch you.

Bully? Am I missing something ?

tom4018":330hw9gy said:
TennesseeTuxedo":330hw9gy said:
M-5":330hw9gy said:
Ask him and tell him that since you are buying you want to run the vin number before you purchase it.

Exactly, do what the bully suggests. Otherwise he'll punch you.

Bully? Am I missing something ?

M-5 is a registered cyber bully.

Yes the lienholder (bank) can come back on it. Get a bill of sale and make the check payable to the bank as mentioned above. Or make the seller provide a letter from the bank showing a clean title. Nothing wrong with doing a UCC search. Smart man.

if the seller has a lien on the tractor then once you buy the tractor he is supposed to pay the note off.so the bank will release it.but if i was you i would go to the bank with the seller and make sure he pays the tractor off.when i traded tractors in 2013 the dealer payed my tracor off in the trade and i had a nice down payment on the new tractor.

Latest posts