buying cows

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338":10zjpgfr said:
an 1/3 of a herd in a sell out needs to go to kill pen.

An interesting thought! If that is universally true, then that means that 1/3 of each of OUR herds also need to go to the kill pen.

I've been struggling with the choice of leasing additional land so I could expand my herd, or culling down some cattle I really don't want to cull to make the size of my herd match the capacity I currently have.

An interesting exercise might be to cull 1/3 of my herd on paper, then look at what I'd have left...and what I'd have to give up!

George

well heres my thoughts on culling.most every1 has problem cows an cows they dont like for 1 reason or another.an those cows should be culled 1st.then you have the cows that just dont raise good calves they are 2nd.then theres the cows over 10yrs in your herd they are 3rd.unless they raise 1 heck of a calf.then there are those cows that come up open they are 4th.but if we all culled that heavy we would have very few cows left.

bigbull338":3m02poya said:
well heres my thoughts on culling.most every1 has problem cows an cows they dont like for 1 reason or another.an those cows should be culled 1st.then you have the cows that just dont raise good calves they are 2nd.then theres the cows over 10yrs in your herd they are 3rd.unless they raise 1 heck of a calf.then there are those cows that come up open they are 4th.but if we all culled that heavy we would have very few cows left.
I think your orders are wrong
1st should be any open cow and disposition
2nd should be age or weaning weights
3rd should be uniformity

and by disposition I mean a true renegade not just cause she looked at ya funny or got a little hot when she had a new calf

bigbull338":izapbj6l said:
alot of yall here think im rough when it comes to buying cows.so im going to tell yall the deal im working on now.to see if yall would pay what ill pay for cattle.the deal is this 4 reg beefmaster cows pairs or bred.the cows are all young 2 2yr olds an 2 3yr olds.2 of the cows have calves on them now.cow 1 sire is crown prince dam miss reba calf at side by raining heart.the bull calf can be weaned.so i can take him or take a price cut an leave him home.cow 2 pair/bred sire pitch black dam angel bull calf at side 4 months old.3 sire pitch black dam angel.due to calve in oct.calfs sire is raining heart.4 sire texas country dam misty.should calf dec or jan.the price is $1750 a hd to $1625 depending on what i do.now would yall take this deal or not.

That sounds a little too high to me Mr. Bigbull, with the weak economy and a uncertain cattle market i think you should get the same lot# of KY and use the same technique that you used on the last buy.

I am having a really hard time understanding the caution on these boards about a $1750 REGISTERED female. If a registered female is not worth at least that, she needs to be in a commercial herd somewhere, or worse...hamburger. Right now, good commercial females are bringing $1500 and better around central TX.

BigBull, if they are good females and they fit your program, get 'em.

well i made him an offer on 2 pairs an 1 bred cow.an i did low ball it pretty good.i offer him $1500 for 1 pair.an then i offered him $1250 for a pair,an $1250 for a bred cow.an i told him what i bought 2 bred cows for and a 11 month old heifer.talked to a friend an reg breeder after i made him the offer.an he told me cows was down at assoc sells an sell outs unless they was buddy buddy deals.he also said paint cows wasnt bringing anything.because every1 wants reds or blacks.

bigbull338":exxy2g14 said:
well i made him an offer on 2 pairs an 1 bred cow.an i did low ball it pretty good.i offer him $1500 for 1 pair.an then i offered him $1250 for a pair,an $1250 for a bred cow.an i told him what i bought 2 bred cows for and a 11 month old heifer.talked to a friend an reg breeder after i made him the offer.an he told me cows was down at assoc sells an sell outs unless they was buddy buddy deals.he also said paint cows wasnt bringing anything.because every1 wants reds or blacks.
sounds like a good time to cash in on some paint's... while the other folks are out chasing rabbits

bigag03":1924o0ac said:
I am having a really hard time understanding the caution on these boards about a $1750 REGISTERED female. If a registered female is not worth at least that, she needs to be in a commercial herd somewhere, or worse...hamburger. Right now, good commercial females are bringing $1500 and better around central TX.
BigBull, if they are good females and they fit your program, get 'em.

If your buying I'll sell you a whole herd at that price because I haven't seen anything but 2200 lb. bulls bring around here in ages. Most commercial or registered females with a calf at side won't bring $1100. unless it's at a special breed sale for registered cattle. (Central Texas)

I didn't say I was buying them, but somebody must be. Did you see any of the Nunley sale? Those Gert x Herf heifers were a valuable commodity that day.

bigag03":2yh78rgr said:
I didn't say I was buying them, but somebody must be. Did you see any of the Nunley sale? Those Gert x Herf heifers were a valuable commodity that day.
"Nunley Sale"....sounds like a special sale.

Considering I don't buy females out of the sale barn, then I guess the only ones I pay attention to are "special sales". I also don't sell good females through the sale barn either.

bigag03":1yx8yvau said:
Considering I don't buy females out of the sale barn, then I guess the only ones I pay attention to are "special sales". I also don't sell good females through the sale barn either.
i dont sell a good female anywhere
:cowboy:

bigag03":2s0ycpn9 said:
Excuse me. You're first comment made it sound like the Central Texas commercial heifer market was $1500 a head on a regular basis. My misunderstanding.