buying cows

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
alot of yall here think im rough when it comes to buying cows.so im going to tell yall the deal im working on now.to see if yall would pay what ill pay for cattle.the deal is this 4 reg beefmaster cows pairs or bred.the cows are all young 2 2yr olds an 2 3yr olds.2 of the cows have calves on them now.cow 1 sire is crown prince dam miss reba calf at side by raining heart.the bull calf can be weaned.so i can take him or take a price cut an leave him home.cow 2 pair/bred sire pitch black dam angel bull calf at side 4 months old.3 sire pitch black dam angel.due to calve in oct.calfs sire is raining heart.4 sire texas country dam misty.should calf dec or jan.the price is $1750 a hd to $1625 depending on what i do.now would yall take this deal or not.

The bred cattle sound just like the ones you got from the college boy for $800 a head. Why not hit this guy with the same price. Take it or leave it. No need to pay double what they're worth. There can't be that much of a difference in the value or your herd has a huge swing between the top and bottom end.

TB i havent told him about the bunch i recently bought.im saving that for when we get down to brass tacks on the deal.an you have to remember those cows i just bought are like 4.5 an 5.5 yrs old.an they are bred angus.these cows will have a reg calf in their belly.an im hoping that theyll have 3 heifers an 1 bull.

bigbull338":3hg00jvp said:
TB i havent told him about the bunch i recently bought.im saving that for when we get down to brass tacks on the deal.an you have to remember those cows i just bought are like 4.5 an 5.5 yrs old.an they are bred angus.these cows will have a reg calf in their belly.an im hoping that theyll have 3 heifers an 1 bull.

Bred angus makes them worth a thousand a head less?? And not ALL calves should be registered even if they could be. If they're not top calves they're not worth a nickel more than those that were "bred angus". These are too expensive or the other group was priced way too cheap.

the angus cross calves will go to the sale barn weather they be heifers or bulls.an the full blood beefmaster bull calves wont be reg.they will go to the sale.an your right not all heifers are keepers.an those will be culled.i guess im to hard on the cattle because i expect certain things from them.i expect them to calve every year an wean a calf.an i expect them to breed in a timely mannor.i sold a coming 2yr old sub to reg heifer to my nephew because i couldnt get the papers on her.an i have a cow on the cull list now if she doesnt calve pretty soon or isnt bred.those cows im looking will pay for theirselves in 2yrs.

It's hard to find a good cow (even 5 or 6) for $800. In fact, I sold an open 10 year old baldy for $800 slaughter this summer. I'd pay $1600-1800 for the right cow with the right pedigree bred the right way. That said, don't know if the ones you're looking at qualify as the "right ones" or not. I guess if you can find good 5 year olds for $800 then it does make $1700 seem pretty high even for younger cows.

I sold a pen of six grade pairs for $1,300 a pair a month ago. They were a young mix of black/bwf with two week old calves on their side. I wouldn't have paid that for them myself(I bought them as bred cows in Jan for $400 a head. :banana: ) but aparently that's what decent grade pairs are worth. If you like the genetics and have papers to show for the bloodlines then it sounds like it's not out of line with the market.

i know raining hearts sire apaches heart.an i know his calves are good esp if he is anything like his daddy.when i buy cows i buy according to their bloodlines.sometimes you get lucky buying cows.i have a friend that sells cows for big money.an their bloodlines are what sells them.he has 1 heck of a herd bull.an if the sell cows have a calf by side by him.then the calf alone is worth $2000 at weaning.if i have a choice of giving $1300 for stock cows or $1700 for reg cows.ill take reg cows everytime.

bigbull338":3dpi1grc said:
i know raining hearts sire apaches heart.an i know his calves are good esp if he is anything like his daddy.when i buy cows i buy according to their bloodlines.sometimes you get lucky buying cows.i have a friend that sells cows for big money.an their bloodlines are what sells them.he has 1 heck of a herd bull.an if the sell cows have a calf by side by him.then the calf alone is worth $2000 at weaning.if i have a choice of giving $1300 for stock cows or $1700 for reg cows.ill take reg cows everytime.
That makes those $800 registered beefmasters a "steal".

bigbull338":3m54jspp said:
to see if yall would pay what ill pay for cattle.

I wouldn't. That's just me BB.

Sitting on 200 surplus bales and a pile of nickels. Been thinking about a lot of HB's come the winter price drop. Dunno. Got hopes for the Nov election and may throw some nickels back into the stocks. Sell the hay.

backhoeboogie":rrzw3h2h said:
bigbull338":rrzw3h2h said:

Sitting on 200 surplus bales and a pile of nickels. Been thinking about a lot of HB's come the winter price drop. Dunno. Got hopes for the Nov election and may throw some nickels back into the stocks. Sell the hay.

I have the same hopes. Time to pray like never before. :help:

3waycross":4ogm1rvu said:
backhoeboogie":4ogm1rvu said:
bigbull338":4ogm1rvu said:

I have the same hopes. Time to pray like never before. :help:
Amen bro....and put your nickels in cattle. If you can't sell them you can always eat'em.

if i didnt think i could make money off them.i wouldnt be buying them.i know what top end weaned heifers will bring.an thats double what the heifer calves will bring at the sale barn.

1982vett":6s87iqhz said:
TexasBred":6s87iqhz said:
Amen bro....and put your nickels in cattle. If you can't sell them you can always eat'em.
If they don't eat you first. :)
vett we all know that nobody on here feeds...you just sit on them. Jerky brings more per pound that ribeye anytime.

bigbull338":h3mxjz5a said:
if i didnt think i could make money off them.i wouldnt be buying them.i know what top end weaned heifers will bring.an thats double what the heifer calves will bring at the sale barn.
Tthey only bring that kind of money if you're selling them to another registered beefmaster breeders along with all the contacts, promotion and other BS that comes with it. To anyone else they're just nice heifers bringing market price.

Bigbull if you think you can make money on them then I would go for it. I couldnt make money on them but every market is a little different.

bigbull338":2uji1pzr said:

It sounds to me like you need to be buying from the sale barn and marketing with your methodology. There's been a few nice estates go through the sale barn lately.

Saw a couple of pens of white face brindle F-1s (Tigers if you like) go through Meridian in July. One group was 15 months and another group was around 12 months. I've been kicking myself for not buying them.

yes if i sell any heifers its to other reg breeders.i have yet to sell anything though an assoc sale.an doubt i ever will.purely because the bloodlines an cattle are what i like.im hoping to get the reg herd to a point that i can quit buying cattle.boogie i used to trade on some sale barn cattle years ago for fun.but i wont ever do that again.theres a big cattle jockey in our area.an he buys all the best pairs no matter what they cost.an 1/3 of a herd in a sell out needs to go to kill pen.

Latest posts