Buying Bred Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Here is one of the heifers we bought this fall. She isn't 'due' to calve until about April, and she was pregchecked as about 4 1/2-5 months along at the sale in early Dec. Somehow, I get the feeling that she isn't going to make it that long........ :shock:

DSC00212.jpg

DSC00215.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

One thing to remember when buying bred cattle, the due dates are not always right, nor are the vets that do the pregchecking.

I bought a bred cow a month ago preg checked to be 6 mts, she calved this past weekend. I'd rather them be earlier then later though. I'd surely be supprized if she went to April :eek:

by the looks of her she is gonna calve fore april.my guess is a march calf on the ground.she isnt springing to heavy yet.but she may calve sooner than that though.

Other than calling them bred, I really don't have a lot of faith in vets, when they start dating the pregnancies. Maybe, early or late, but trying to say she is 4 1/2 or she is 5 months along, that is pushing it.

I would imagine that this heifer will calve within the next couple weeks. Definitely before March. That is when the herd is due, and she is showing a LOT more than anything in the herd, heifers included. Haven't looked at the long range forecast, but I should be able to tell when from that ;-) . It is January, and there is a lot of cold weather to come.....

I am curious to see what that udder is going to look like once she calves.Not very impressive now but that doesn't mean much as a lot can change.

Syd Sydney":1b59y7zc said:
I am curious to see what that udder is going to look like once she calves.Not very impressive now but that doesn't mean much as a lot can change.

I think she will have a pretty nice udder once she calves. Teats might be a bit on the long side, but that doesn't concern me too much.

Bought a 4 year old a week before christmas that vet checked in at 4 months bred. She had a really nice heifer the day after christmas....he was only 5 months off! I would say this heifer is closer than the vet thinks! Good looking heifer too..... good luck with her and let us know what happens!

Latest posts