Buying and selling cattle through stock yards

Help Support CattleToday:

salebarn junkie":1wjutrj5 said:
The people crying about trader cattle are same people that cry about there calves being discounted or about there only being a couple of order buyers at the sell and setting a low price. When I sell calves I want every cattle jockie for a hundred miles there. I bought calves that were obviously trader cattle two glue spots they had lost a ton of weight that they put right back on I gave them a shot of draxson a soon as they got off trailer made good money. I've tried trading the same week but always had to much shrink to make it work. I always go by the rule that you can't cheat a grown man. If I buy trader cattle and don't know its my fault.

Right on agree 100%!

ibetyamissedme":jose7zx9 said:
If nothing else we are certainly sorting out the folks who make money raising cattle, and those who make money selling cattle.

Yes I'm still following and I stand by my statements.

ibetyamissedme":1g50gs1y said:
BRYANT":1g50gs1y said:
LRTX1":1g50gs1y said:
Actually, Jake said "Calves" and the other feller said "cattle" which to me might mean something other then calves. But, it could have been 200lb dink's that were sold and went straight to slaughter as well. Hard to tell exactly which class of animal "cattle" referred to.
killer cows not calves

man I hope this "quote" thing works this time I am using an old computer that I made out of one of them there old transistor radios :bang:

How many days did your friends have physical possession of these killer cows and what medications residued?

I am not forsure on either .both men that is all they do for a living. the one, they may have never even came to his place ??? may have been bought at a small sale where there is not the big killer buyers then sent on to a large sale where there is killer buyers. here in this part of the country we have a lot of sales and the killer buyers mainly go to the larger sales. I know both men ,one well, but I don't know the details of it all.

BRYANT":rzixehrh said:
I am not forsure on either .both men that is all they do for a living. the one, they may have never even came to his place ??? may have been bought at a small sale where there is not the big killer buyers then sent on to a large sale where there is killer buyers. here in this part of the country we have a lot of sales and the killer buyers mainly go to the larger sales. I know both men ,one well, but I don't know the details of it all.
Did your friends personally haul these cattle from one barn to the next?

ibetyamissedme":1giiky5y said:
BRYANT":1giiky5y said:
can't say I was not there so I don't truly know ???

BRYANT":35mf3ofh said:
ibetyamissedme":35mf3ofh said:
BRYANT":35mf3ofh said:
can't say I was not there so I don't truly know ???
Just to be clear, you do not know that they ever took physical possession of the cattle correct? Are your friends bonded thru P&S

ibetyamissedme":2dzz5sum said:
Just to be clear, you do not know that they ever took physical possession of the cattle correct? Are your friends bonded thru P&S

I do know the answer to both questions but had rather not say anymore about their business

Forgive me if this has been mention but I might have missed it. If someone was to buy cows that were going to be sold as slaughter cows they knew nothing about and sold them in their name somewhere and the cow ended up having a drug residue show up, that would cause problems for them and not the farmer the cow originally came from. Lots of risk there I would think, I could see trading around on feeder calves and maybe making some money. Buy one slaughter cow having some drug residue show up could raise some red flags.

Im not sure I know the answer but if they came back with a drug residue the only person they have a record of owning the cow would be you. I would think you could be held responsible but I am not sure.

I was somewhat interested in this conversation for a while, but it's got to the point it just gives me a headache to read it. We all have our own opinion and are not gonna change anyone's mind.

denvermartinfarms":3g5it136 said:
I was somewhat interested in this conversation for a while, but it's got to the point it just gives me a headache to read it. We all have our own opinion and are not gonna change anyone's mind.
Surprisingly I find myself agreeing with Denver. I think this argument has a lot to do with some people not liking people who are in the cattle business but not in a cow calf operation or something like that.
I think everyone on here agrees that misleading or selling under false pretenses is wrong no matter if its a trader or a farmer. What some seem to expect is that every cow that walks into a sale ring should be in good shape. If thats the case you shouldn't go to a sale because there is often a good reason an animal ends up there. Its like going to a used car lot, you should check it out before you buy.

kenny thomas":1wbz2h6t said:
Im not sure I know the answer but if they came back with a drug residue the only person they have a record of owning the cow would be you. I would think you could be held responsible but I am not sure.
In the states that I have gotten cattle from they can track them with the metal ear tag that is put in by the vet at the salebarn because every adult cow has to be tested. Several years ago when I worked on killfloor we would have to save a vial of blood and any salebarn tags along with the metal ear tag it all went into a small zip bag then was taken by the government insp. This was only on adult cattle not fats. this was several years ago don't know how it works today I am also way south of ibetyamissedme so I don't know how they do things in there state

tom4018":mr4wqml5 said:
Forgive me if this has been mention but I might have missed it. If someone was to buy cows that were going to be sold as slaughter cows they knew nothing about and sold them in their name somewhere and the cow ended up having a drug residue show up, that would cause problems for them and not the farmer the cow originally came from. Lots of risk there I would think, I could see trading around on feeder calves and maybe making some money. Buy one slaughter cow having some drug residue show up could raise some red flags.
The only exception would apply to bonded dealers thru P&S. Maybe a loophole if the farmer never physically took possession of said animal but at that point they became a dealer and that also would create problems with the USDA.

Atleast my post didn't have the arguments and got helpful suggestions... no arguments :lol2: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Latest posts