Buying and selling cattle through stock yards

Help Support CattleToday:

ibetyamissedme":3vhu0b2d said:
Denvermartin you and so many others are oblivious to the risk you expose the industry too. You have admitted to selling an animal into the meat market that you know nothing about, yet you say nothing to make those aware of that fact. I will never understand why anyone with a vested interest in this industry would jeopardize it the way so many of you so nonchalantly do.
Ok, I've sold a animal I know nothing about, it was for sale a week earlier by someone else when I bought it with no information given to me. I'm doing nothing more than transporting and picking up money left on the table by others.

ibetyamissedme":1ip62x86 said:
Jake this is where you and I disagree, 1000# cattle that are bought and sold by traders are bought by packers everyday, freshly ivomeced cows same thing. You need to look outside your little box.

It is the original seller who is liable for such things if they are not announced. You are never going to be able to make a feasible traceable system that doesn't involve packer ownership for an extended period of time.

edit: And its not like another rule is going to stop a crook from breaking the ones already in effect.

You can worry about the size of your own box

Jake":1np3env5 said:
ibetyamissedme":1np3env5 said:
Jake this is where you and I disagree, 1000# cattle that are bought and sold by traders are bought by packers everyday, freshly ivomeced cows same thing. You need to look outside your little box.

It is the original seller who is liable for such things if they are not announced. You are never going to be able to make a feasible traceable system that doesn't involve packer ownership for an extended period of time.

edit: And its not like another rule is going to stop a crook from breaking the ones already in effect.

They are your legal responsibility the second you take physical possession of the animal. Trying to blame the guy before you won't work his responsibility ended when you took the animal home. He said she said at that point.

ibetyamissedme":3iw1udib said:
Jake":3iw1udib said:
ibetyamissedme":3iw1udib said:

They are your legal responsibility the second you take physical possession of the animal. Trying to blame the guy before you won't work his responsibility ended when you took the animal home. He said she said at that point.

If they are not originally sold as "must go back to the farm" the purchaser is no longer liable

I'm going to derail this argument :)

what is the difference in someone trading cattle vs penhookers in everyones opinion?

tmetzzz":1wv2m0uz said:
Hello all, new to this site and the general idea of cattle ranching.

Just looking for opinions on buying cattle from one stock yard at a current price and traveling across the county to sell at a higher price at a stock yard. Just curious if any of you do something like this? Play the market and hope prices go up rather than down.

Dont know if this is the right place to post this, thanks for having me.

I asked the same thing

skyhightree1":2g78souz said:
tmetzzz":2g78souz said:

Just looking for opinions on buying cattle from one stock yard at a current price and traveling across the county to sell at a higher price at a stock yard. Just curious if any of you do something like this? Play the market and hope prices go up rather than down.

I asked the same thing

Yes you did but since you're a Hobby Trader it didn't get much attention. LOL! :lol:

TennesseeTuxedo":1hwm2cik said:
skyhightree1":1hwm2cik said:
tmetzzz":1hwm2cik said:

I asked the same thing

Yes you did but since you're a Hobby Trader it didn't get much attention. LOL! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: skyhigh H.T. Has a nice ring to it.

ibetyamissedme":2lnuohak said:
Jake I applaud you for selling your trader cattle as "must go back to the farm" it shows honesty and represents the cattle as potentially medicated. Inadvertently it shows the very problem traders bring to the marketplace.

But that is my whole point. You can't broadly paint "traders" with that brush. There just as many crooked producers who don't specify what has been done and when it comes to the the liability of the cattle you can't regulate people into doing what is "right." But broadcasting to the public about how people are abusing and mistreating animals and how horrible these things are only feeds our enemies at the HSUS and PETA.

Every barn I have been to says that all guarantees are between seller and purchaser. That will include medication which will trace back to point of origin. It's not the traders fault somebody tried sneaking drugged/junky cattle through.

][
this 30 to 60 day hold sounds great to me should apply to every thing that is bought and resold just think about it packer buys them has to hold for 30 - 60 days before killing then the store another 30 -60 that way it aged beef think about the produce rotten apples , stale bread this can go on an on . Why can't people just stay out of other people business. It does not set well with people getting in my business I don't care if its the man down the road or the IDOT IN THE WHITEHOUSE .
after all no one is required to buy the trader stock . I have bought them and sold them before I ever
:banana: I sure ruffled your feathers USDA can check me any time they would like its not against the law to trade cattle where I am from .I have and I will and I even claim the profit on my taxes don't know what made you so mad maybe you would like to explain[/quote="ibetyamissedme"]Keep studying you have a lot to learn.[/quote]

I 'M STUDYING

and I don't think you know what made you so upset but I think it was the comment about the "Idot in the Whitehouse" you must be in bed with the government as much as you keep using USDA

ibetyamissedme":3lcgsx16 said:
NOT TRUE so keep studying I could give you 2 different traders I know that sold cattle that had been shot up before they bought them both times the seller before the trader had signed the papers saying they were clean and they were not and both times your good friends the USDA were involved and could do nothing to the trader because he was not the one that gave them the shots . I know both men personally and could give names to prove what I am saying , but I will not do that without there permission

BRYANT":8kxzt077 said:
I could give you 2 different traders I know that sold cattle that had been shot up before they bought them both times the seller before the trader had signed the papers saying they were clean and they were not and both times your good friends the USDA were involved and could do nothing to the trader because he was not the one that gave them the shots . I know both men personally and could give names to prove what I am saying , but I will not do that without there permission
Before you were oblivious to what I was talking about and now suddenly this exact thing I've been preaching about has happened to 2 of your buddies. Imagine that. What a coincidence, and by the way learn how to properly quote that last post was goofier than a homemade radio.

The people crying about trader cattle are same people that cry about there calves being discounted or about there only being a couple of order buyers at the sell and setting a low price. When I sell calves I want every cattle jockie for a hundred miles there. I bought calves that were obviously trader cattle two glue spots they had lost a ton of weight that they put right back on I gave them a shot of draxson a soon as they got off trailer made good money. I've tried trading the same week but always had to much shrink to make it work. I always go by the rule that you can't cheat a grown man. If I buy trader cattle and don't know its my fault.

Actually, Jake said "Calves" and the other feller said "cattle" which to me might mean something other then calves. But, it could have been 200lb dink's that were sold and went straight to slaughter as well. Hard to tell exactly which class of animal "cattle" referred to.

ibetyamissedme":33fxckq6 said:
BRYANT":33fxckq6 said:
I could give you 2 different traders I know that sold cattle that had been shot up before they bought them both times the seller before the trader had signed the papers saying they were clean and they were not and both times your good friends the USDA were involved and could do nothing to the trader because he was not the one that gave them the shots . I know both men personally and could give names to prove what I am saying , but I will not do that without there permission
Before you were oblivious to what I was talking about and now suddenly this exact thing I've been preaching about has happened to 2 of your buddies. Imagine that. What a coincidence, and by the way learn how to properly quote that last post was goofier than a homemade radio.
but do you not understand USDA was not able to do anything about it the dishonest person was the one who sold them before the trader and signed the paper saying they were clean. The one who lost was the packer kind of like all the bulls I have killed, when I used to work at a packinghouse, that had been shot full of buckshot and we had to throw them into the gutwagon because the USDA boys tagged them out there again it was not the buyer/trader that was at fault but some dishonest farmer/rancher the real problem here is dishonest people

LRTX1":2o59v0yl said:
Actually, Jake said "Calves" and the other feller said "cattle" which to me might mean something other then calves. But, it could have been 200lb dink's that were sold and went straight to slaughter as well. Hard to tell exactly which class of animal "cattle" referred to.
killer cows not calves

man I hope this "quote" thing works this time I am using an old computer that I made out of one of them there old transistor radios :bang:

BRYANT":tg5manjp said:
LRTX1":tg5manjp said:
killer cows not calves

man I hope this "quote" thing works this time I am using an old computer that I made out of one of them there old transistor radios :bang:
How many days did your friends have physical possession of these killer cows and what medications residued?

Latest posts