Buying and selling cattle through stock yards

Help Support CattleToday:

tmetzzz

Reaction score
Hello all, new to this site and the general idea of cattle ranching.

Just looking for opinions on buying cattle from one stock yard at a current price and traveling across the county to sell at a higher price at a stock yard. Just curious if any of you do something like this? Play the market and hope prices go up rather than down.

Dont know if this is the right place to post this, thanks for having me.

You would be referring to trading. Its a horrible thing for the cattle industry and should be illegal. Its animal/backgrounder abuse- and done all the time.

I know a man who made a lot of money doing it. He bought at a small country sale on Wednesday, drove 2 hours and sold them at a larger sale Thursday. The small sale only ran 200 head on a good day. Not enough for order buyers to show up. He bought every descent calf and the locals were glad he was there.
The larger sale barn frowns on trader cattle and began distinguishing between home grown and trader's at the sale.
Some sale barns look the other way because they want the numbers and commission.

I appreciate your thoughts on the subject, well my original thought was to start on my own leased land on a small scale selling some of my herd off. While keeping 2-3 cows per load, but selling the other 3-4 at the stock yard.

Never thought of it as abuse, or frowned upon. As a caring animal owner, I would do whats best for my herd and nothing would get in the way of that. Brings up some other questions Ill have to look into.

Howdyjabo":3f7y41rn said:
You would be referring to trading. Its a horrible thing for the cattle industry and should be illegal
A person can go to a sale barn and buy and know that the stock may be "TRADER STOCK" or buy off of the farm and pay more for farm fresh stock totally left up to the person buying .BUT to say "IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL ' for someone to trade cattle ??????????? my -my what is this world coming to more and more of some one else sticking there nose into some ones business. Next we will out law used cars, used homes ,garage sales , second hand stores ,ect... it just goes on and on and on

I have a friend who does this fairly regularly. I have seen him make a thousand or more on a gooseneck load of cattle. I have also seen him lose a thousand on a load. I do a little on occasions, although I am not flipping them quickly. I am generally buying some to add to my cattle to make a full load. I almost always make money when I do it.

Howdyjabo":1ayu8rgl said:
You would be referring to trading. Its a horrible thing for the cattle industry and should be illegal. Its animal/backgrounder abuse- and done all the time.

Really? Illegal? How is it animal abuse if they are fed and taken care of explain to me how this is abusive. Posts like this are outrageous and paint a poor image of our industry as they are a farce.

Illegal to buy and sell cows or calves is BS. Once I buy them there mine and no one should be able to dictate what I can or can't do with them. I don't day trade myself but you never know what the future might bring.

Jake":10untdt4 said:
Howdyjabo":10untdt4 said:

Really? Illegal? How is it animal abuse if they are fed and taken care of explain to me how this is abusive. Posts like this are outrageous and paint a poor image of our industry as they are a farce.
Sounds like more liberal garbage trying to control EVERYTHING we do
Lets see Howdy you buy calves and feed them then sell them so I guess you could be labeled a trader so you better get out of the business
The only person that can raise cattle under these rules is someone who has cows and then raises that calf all the way thru it being slaughtered and then marketed as beef or else they could be labeled a trader

Yes I do know of some wanna be traders that buy junk at one sale and then try to sell junk at a better sale but they are readily indentifiable if you sit and watch the sale
I know lots of guys who buy small groups of calves at barns bring them in turn them out and then sell them at a different barn once they have a group of like cattle to market and yes they are traders

Many times the traders add value to the calves by consolidating similar calves into larger load lots. Illegal? Abuse? I don't think so.

The more I read the stupider I see our world has come
this 30 to 60 day hold sounds great to me should apply to every thing that is bought and resold just think about it packer buys them has to hold for 30 - 60 days before killing then the store another 30 -60 that way it aged beef think about the produce rotten apples , stale bread this can go on an on . Why can't people just stay out of other people business. It does not set well with people getting in my business I don't care if its the man down the road or the IDOT IN THE WHITEHOUSE .
after all no one is required to buy the trader stock . I have bought them and sold them before I ever unloaded them and will do it again REGUARDLESS of the law !!!
got to get off of here my blood pressure is raising :bang :bang: :

BRYANT":2jjxtajf said:
The more I read the stupider I see our world has come
this 30 to 60 day hold sounds great to me should apply to every thing that is bought and resold just think about it packer buys them has to hold for 30 - 60 days before killing then the store another 30 -60 that way it aged beef think about the produce rotten apples , stale bread this can go on an on . Why can't people just stay out of other people business. It does not set well with people getting in my business I don't care if its the man down the road or the IDOT IN THE WHITEHOUSE .
after all no one is required to buy the trader stock . I have bought them and sold them before I ever unloaded them and will do it again REGUARDLESS of the law !!!
got to get off of here my blood pressure is raising :bang :bang: :
I hope someday your ass gets burned and the USDA hangs you out for all your worth. No common sense won't work for an excuse.

Latest posts