Buyer fee

Help Support CattleToday:

I like buying my own cattle. I generally spend a day a week sitting through a sale. But if I'm honest with myself I'd be money ahead paying someone 1 percent to do it while I went to work. I bet that's true for the majority here.

callmefence":2q43jl47 said:
I like buying my own cattle. I generally spend a day a week sitting through a sale. But if I'm honest with myself I'd be money ahead paying someone 1 percent to do it while I went to work. I bet that's true for the majority here.

if you can not do what you enjoy with the cattle........
then why own them....
why pay someone else do do what you enjoy?

In my doterage I have decided to live every day enjoying life....gonna ride my horse more and worry less.

pdfangus":39t72msf said:
callmefence":39t72msf said:

if you can not do what you enjoy with the cattle........
then why own them....
why pay someone else do do what you enjoy?

In my doterage I have decided to live every day enjoying life....gonna ride my horse more and worry less.

I do enjoy cattle if I didn't I wouldn't be doing it. But I don't like seating through a sale all day for multiple days at a time trying to buy up enough calves. I do like going to the stock yard and watching them sale for a couple hours but not all day.

i've sat around many buyers and they do seem to be looking for the best cattle.

I'd say they are worth it.

I think it depends on what the animals are for.. If you want to get stockers, etc that you're going to put some weight on, Order buyers REALLY know that part of the trade and can get you what you want.

If you're looking for replacement cows and heifers, then that's where you have to make the decision because you're not getting rid of them in a few months, you'll be looking at them and their offspring for years.

Nesikep":28xif5mn said:
I think it depends on what the animals are for.. If you want to get stockers, etc that you're going to put some weight on, Order buyers REALLY know that part of the trade and can get you what you want.

If you're looking for replacement cows and heifers, then that's where you have to make the decision because you're not getting rid of them in a few months, you'll be looking at them and their offspring for years.

Yes I agree with you on that. Iam looking to buy stockers.

pricefarm":372mw23u said:
Nesikep":372mw23u said:

Yes I agree with you on that. Iam looking to buy stockers.
It's easier to please people buying calves than cows for them. $5 a head should get them bought and another $5-10 per head to haul them home depending on distance.

snoopdog":2bcro0o9 said:
You can also talk to the barn ahead of time and see if they have a group llike that coming in , they will usually take a bid if you can't be there on a group of that size.
only problem with that is,they work off commission,,,so the more of your money they spend the more they put in the kitty....

ALACOWMAN":20ha3rpa said:
snoopdog":20ha3rpa said:
You can also talk to the barn ahead of time and see if they have a group llike that coming in , they will usually take a bid if you can't be there on a group of that size.
only problem with that is,they work off commission,,,so the more of your money they spend the more they put in the kitty....
True , but ethical barns and experienced auctioneers know what the calves will bring and set them in accordingly , an extra .005 buys them .

Sadly,, Not every one at these stockyards have ethics..its sorta like the car business..you know the ones you can trust..about any business as far as that goes,that pays on commission..the hourly don't care if you buy are not..their there from sunup to payday....

Latest posts