Buyer fee

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
What is the going rate to have a buyer buy calves for you at the stockyard? I never have the time to go and seat through the sales.

pricefarm":259ac04u said:
What is the going rate to have a buyer buy calves for you at the stockyard? I never have the time to go and seat through the sales.

I am my own buyer if it something I want I make time. I want to pick my own cattle for success and or failure so I know who to blame. Get off that paid time off and go to a sale here and there. You wouldn't pay someone to buy your house or truck for you. I look at cattle as an investment and I want to see everything up front. Yes I am weird but thats how I am.

skyhightree1":3f0roe4w said:
pricefarm":3f0roe4w said:
What is the going rate to have a buyer buy calves for you at the stockyard?
I never have the time to go and seat through the sales.

I am my own buyer if it something I want I make time.
I want to pick my own cattle for success and or failure so I know who to blame.
You wouldn't pay someone to buy your house or truck for you.
Poor analogy as a home is very personal, but yes on condition of final approval before purchase is not unreasonable.

IF you want to be a micro manager fine, but hiring others (ie a buyer) and delegating can be more cost effective.
An individual's time might be more valuable elsewhere. Not all owners are good judges of cattle or value.
Being a control freak isn't always the best option.

I've never hired a buyer, the complaints I've heard from those that have is buyer always seems to spend to the limit
of the top price authorized when sale reports seem to indicate better buys were available.

Son of Butch":ipuk0omx said:
I've never hired a buyer, the complaints I've heard from those that have is buyer always seems to spend to the limit
of the top price authorized when sale reports seem to indicate better buys were available.

That could be because they are looking for the best animal and not the best deal. Where you might buy one that's not as nice for less you know how much lower your willing to let your standards go for a good deal.

Craig Miller":pmu3gl53 said:
Son of Butch":pmu3gl53 said:

That could be because they are looking for the best animal and not the best deal. Where you might buy one that's not as nice for less you know how much lower your willing to let your standards go for a good deal.
Yes and when reading sale reports you never know if one bid over would have gotten that lot bought or not.
It kind of comes down to how much trust do you have in the individual you're doing business with or hiring.

Here there's always older men ,,Aka,,,loafers,that haunt the stockyards...if they know what their doing..most will do it for nothing.. Just to have something to do..their going to be there anyway.

I have a situation coming up in the spring where I'd gladly pay a reasonable fee for someone with the right eye to pick out the best heifer from the lot. I'm first on the farm's list to pick and I'm told there are some really great heifers to choose from. In my case I'm just not positive I can pick the best one from the group and that's the one I want.

Going rate here is 1% of total value. So if you spend 100k on cattle, you'll pay the buyer 1k for buying them. That is for order buyer with 30 years experience that buys nearly every day of the week.

Son of Butch":3osd73te said:
skyhightree1":3osd73te said:
pricefarm":3osd73te said:

Poor analogy as a home is very personal, but yes on condition of final approval before purchase is not unreasonable.

IF you want to be a micro manager fine, but hiring others (ie a buyer) and delegating can be more cost effective.
An individual's time might be more valuable elsewhere. Not all owners are good judges of cattle or value.
Being a control freak isn't always the best option.

Most market reports are pulled off a computer generated report that quotes the high, low and average for each 100 lb. weight. The barns around here will quote a range that is around the average on the bottom side and make sure it includes the top selling animal.

Son of Butch":2g9x4fc4 said:
skyhightree1":2g9x4fc4 said:
pricefarm":2g9x4fc4 said:

Poor analogy as a home is very personal,

Any time I spend my money its personal no matter if on a bottle of soda because it didn't come easy... Especially on an investment I could take my time to look over before spending my money.

Some guys prefer to do everything themselves.
Would you object to investing in a mutual fund just because you are not the one picking each individual stock in it?
To each their own.

Son of Butch":1yue6lvx said:

We have a guy locally who "buys" for free, but often they are cattle he previously purchased...

Got some not so great calves once that were under my max price but a poor value. My buyer said yaaa, but they were my (the buyers) neighbors calves...

And so on

Son of Butch":1bfwijli said:
Would you object to investing in a mutual fund just because you are not the one picking each individual stock in it?
To each their own.

The only thing I invest in is houses land business and farm stuff

pricefarm":2hrioxuv said:
Getting back to the original question. Most order buyers get so much a hundredweight to buy calves. Most around here get $0.75 to $1.00 per cwt. to buy. If you want them worked or hauled that is additional charge.

If you approach a buyer and talk to them about your expectations and build a relationship before the purchase , I think you'll have more satisfactory results than worrying about a cwt commission . Not saying that you shouldn't watch your dimes, but sometimes an extra dime is well spent.

Between working a full time job farming and keeping up with my rental houses I don't have a lot of free time. To buy say 50 calves of what Iam looking for could take several days of going to the market. I don't have time for that. I understand that it's a investment of my money but theres more money to be made with my other interests. I was just wondering what was a fair rate to pay someone to buy for me possibly someone with more knowledge than me about buying calves from the market.

You can also talk to the barn ahead of time and see if they have a group llike that coming in , they will usually take a bid if you can't be there on a group of that size.

We trade with our buyer for $10 per head whether it is 1 or 100.

the most important issue to me would be someone whom I could trust and you do not find that in a quick interview process.

everyone hanging around a stockyard is looking to turn a dollar.

I am with Sky....I can look in the mirror to find the guy responsible...

Son of Butch":34x39y93 said:
To each their own.

There is a direct correlation between ability to utilize all available resources and scale. Nothing wrong with it, but inability or decision not to use other resources limits scalability. Can be happy either way, I guess.

Latest posts