Buther Virgin Bulls?

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
I been told many times by vets etc. that butchering 12 to 18 month old virgin bulls is not a lot different from steers. Any and all opinions would be appreciated. I have a lot of repeat customers that keep wanting beef but, now I'm in the seedstock business and at this time all I have are cull virgin bulls that to me are getting to big to band/cut. They are on a good feed program. Thanks for the input. B&G

Black and Good said:
I been told many times by vets etc. that butchering 12 to 18 month old virgin bulls is not a lot different from steers. Any and all opinions would be appreciated. I have a lot of repeat customers that keep wanting beef but, now I'm in the seedstock business and at this time all I have are cull virgin bulls that to me are getting to big to band/cut. They are on a good feed program. Thanks for the input. B&G

We had a 15 or 16 month old Angus bull processed for beef a few years ago. I had kept him to use in our herd, but decided that his feet and legs were not sound looking enough to suit me, so we, sold the steer we kept back to feed out and fed out the bull instead. The meat was excellent, I would not hesitate to feed out another bull at all if the opportunity arose. In fact I have often thought about selecting a calf and leaving it a bull for the very purpose, because I have not seen any benefit to processing a steer. We have done both and both have turned out well. Years ago when I was in the registered cattle circles, it was fairly common for some to feed out and butcher bulls that they did not sell.

If your cattle are quiet and your slaughter house keeps them that way you won't have an issue. Yield is better to on a bull generally. Most of the ones I send are bulls.

We had a young holstein bull get electrocuted, cut his throat, loaded him on back of flatbed truck and hauled to the locker plant. Meat was out of this world and he was steady breeding cattle. Weighed about 1500 lbs and was eating all he wanted of a good TMR on the dairy.

Would you guys come to the same conclusion with a 24mo old slower growing breed (Belties)? I could check off one more thing on my to-do list.

We processed our 2 1/2 year old Jersey bull, he became quite a menace. Charging fences, attacking the tractor and the unbelievable growls he let out. My husband decided time to go before he hurt someone. He was our breeding bull at the time. Popped him right in the pasture and had a big pitch with friends getting him dressed out. Meat was awesome! They don't get taint like a boar hog or goat buck do. If I had the additional land I wouldn't bother cutting the steers! I don't want any accidental breeding.

TexasBred said:
We had a young holstein bull get electrocuted, cut his throat, loaded him on back of flatbed truck and hauled to the locker plant. Meat was out of this world and he was steady breeding cattle. Weighed about 1500 lbs and was eating all he wanted of a good TMR on the dairy.

Would love to hear the back story, not everyday you hear that.

Redgully said:
TexasBred said:

Bull along with quite a few cows were all under a shed attached to a tin barn. Apparently there was an electrical short in the small barn and when the bull stuck his wet nose to the barn it knocked him and several cows down; Appeared to kill him instantly. The real story was us driving down the busiest highway in the county in a one ton flat bed truck with that big a$$ pull stretched across the bed with his throat cut. :lol2:

TexasBred said:
Redgully said:
TexasBred said:

Bull along with quite a few cows were all under a shed attached to a tin barn. Apparently there was an electrical short in the small barn and when the bull stuck his wet nose to the barn it knocked him and several cows down; Appeared to kill him instantly. The real story was us driving down the busiest highway in the county in a one ton flat bed truck with that big a$$ pull stretched across the bed with his throat cut. :lol2:

Well that is about as unlucky as you can get. You'd think a fuse or safety switch would have tripped first. Having said that i guess it was lucky it wasn't you who touched the shed. I bet you had some strange looks on that drive!