Unlimited starter for weaned bulls?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
I have 2 registered bulls left. They are 10 months old and in a pen together. I want to push their weight to the max potential and sell them March 31st. I bought 2 types of feed at the local mill. I posted both labels, the "finisher" is actually 14% protein, and the grower is 16%. The nutritionist at the mill Said feed 2% of body weight. First question which mix is better? Second question can I feed free choice or stay at 2% plus roughage? They weight 900-1000 pounds.

If they are 10 months....they prob do not need real high protien.

But here, starter is 20% and grower is 16 to 18%

No...would not give free access, feed them what the feed maker suggests for x amount of growth, roughage would prob be free choice....depending on what it is and feed value.....

Thanks for input. What percentage of protein/fat/fiber mix should I be looking for ?

I am no expert, but if I were feeding 10 month or so olds, would prob be a 14 to 16 protien....but more important is the energy level...would need to be a min of 11Mj here...12 us common in pellet.

Roughage could be straw or hay...prob 30 or 40%.....work off the pellet makers suggestion, then add roughage .... if they have access to pasture this can allow variation to roghage too.

I am about to do some 6 month olds, will give them about 1% of weight in pellet, free access to good hay, and I give them various other things to make up the energy, but I feed novel waste feed as well. I know the feed values to make up the balance to meet x gain per week.