Feeding bulls ?

Help Support CattleToday:

jd720

Reaction score
I plan on keeping this One Eyed Jack X G W Lucky Man bull for a herd bull. I know some on here feed bulls to sell my question is how are you feeding them ? What protein and what % of their body weight a day ? I feed a mostly by product ration from CPC they call Brutons blend it`s 12% protein 2.40% fat 20.5 fiber. He will be about 15 months old when I plan to start using him. I`ve fed plenty of heifers with good results but I think bulls are a little different.

jd720":4tx8jxom said:
I plan on keeping this One Eyed Jack X G W Lucky Man bull for a herd bull. I know some on here feed bulls to sell my question is how are you feeding them ? What protein and what % of their body weight a day ? I feed a mostly by product ration from CPC they call Brutons blend it`s 12% protein 2.40% fat 20.5 fiber. He will be about 15 months old when I plan to start using him. I`ve fed plenty of heifers with good results but I think bulls are a little different.
Some of the guys that like fat bulls will disagree but I wouldn't feed him a lot and I wouldn't feed him a real hot feed. The one you're feeding sounds about right (any idea what the fiber source is in the mix?). Let him grow out slow and strong. He'll make you a good bull.

If I was betting on the fiber source I would guess rice hulls, I know CPC uses them a lot.

Ojp6":3hsnl0cn said:
If I was betting on the fiber source I would guess rice hulls, I know CPC uses them a lot.

Gonna be a pretty worthless feed then, very low in energy. Might want to upgrade a bit and look for one around 10% crude fiber max or find a textured feed with some loose cottonseed hulls in the mix.

I`m not sure what the fiber source would be it looks like gluten pellets, soy hull pellets and a little corn mostly. I can always get Performance feeds which is similar but its 15% protein and I think around 15% fiber I think it`s probably a better feed all around just a little farther drive. I usually try to get the feed that has less fines in it the fines may not hurt the feed I just don`t like the looks of it.

jd720":2mbpzuo4 said:
I`m not sure what the fiber source would be it looks like gluten pellets, soy hull pellets and a little corn mostly. I can always get Performance feeds which is similar but its 15% protein and I think around 15% fiber I think it`s probably a better feed all around just a little farther drive. I usually try to get the feed that has less fines in it the fines may not hurt the feed I just don`t like the looks of it.
If your current feed does get it's fiber from soyhulls no need to change the feed. Hulls are highly digestible and a good source of energy. Just don't overfeed.

If you are feeding the bull to keep for yourself, there is little reason to feed for expense. A slow developed bull will go the miles much more than a racing bull on high octane. Those extra pounds they carry in youth wear on young joints. And the extra feed will never improve breeding ability while excessive size and weight culls a lot of bulls early; too early.

Latest posts