Butchering Shop

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I seen slicks post and decided to post about my project that I am doing it will be a off and on thing till completion. I have decided after numerous arguments and dirty looks and hours of clean up in my kitchen and garage I will no longer be processing animals in those places. I have decided to build a lil butcher shop where I can house my meat slicer knives grinder and a table to cut the animal on. My question is what size should it be ? I was thinking an 8x8 would be good enough and keep me from junking it up. I plan to hang hams after cured from the ceiling so I was going with an 8' roof. I thought about insulating it where I can plug in a portable A/C unit to keep meets cold if need be and insulating the walls. No windows in it. Any suggestions? Does anyone have a lil butchering shop? The largest animal butchered inside will be a hog. I am also placing a hanging pole right outside of the shop so I can easily put hog halves inside.

I have a 12x18 meat room and it's to small if you have a couple of helpers. I have 2 freezers that take up a lot of room though. Once you have it built you'll wonder how you ever did without it. Make sure to put a good double or triple SS sink, hot water and good white LED lights.

Sky, 8 x 8 ain't big enough, we built one at our place a few years back, built it 10 x 10, wish it was 16 x 16.

True Grit Farms":3grkamvw said:
I have a 12x18 meat room and it's to small if you have a couple of helpers. I have 2 freezers that take up a lot of room though. Once you have it built you'll wonder how you ever did without it. Make sure to put a good double or triple SS sink, hot water and good white LED lights.

I have a slop sink outside my barn that I use where I will be putting this beside. I only have gravity fed water out of a tank there and no access to hot water. I have electric available at the barn that I can run into the shop. My freezers are in my house and garage so no need for a freezer there. The only helpers I have are my kids most of the time its just me which is why I though of an 8x8 maybe a 10x10 cause heck the space I was cutting the stuff up in was a tiny portion of the garage like a 6x6 section

jehosofat":1am81p22 said:
Sky, 8 x 8 ain't big enough, we built one at our place a few years back, built it 10 x 10, wish it was 16 x 16.

Gotcha, My problem is the bigger the space the more crap I figure I can just put in there fore now if its just enough room I tend not to do it lol I think 10x10 will probably be all I build.

TGF / Jehos do you all have drywall in there or just studs or what?

True Grit Farms":10ikv4kb said:

Do you process anything for the public or just yourself?

skyhightree1":82zncl59 said:

We put the white styrofoam insulation in the walls, then corrugated roof metal, so we can just hit it with the hose. Whatever you do, put a drain in the center of the floor.

willow bottom":1go7amyt said:
True Grit Farms":1go7amyt said:

Do you process anything for the public or just yourself?

I have but I don't really care to. Besides deer season, I use the room to process shrimp and fish that I sell or trade locally.

skyhightree1":3q2rrhnw said:
True Grit Farms":3q2rrhnw said:

I have a slop sink outside my barn that I use where I will be putting this beside. I only have gravity fed water out of a tank there and no access to hot water. I have electric available at the barn that I can run into the shop. My freezers are in my house and garage so no need for a freezer there. The only helpers I have are my kids most of the time its just me which is why I though of an 8x8 maybe a 10x10 cause heck the space I was cutting the stuff up in was a tiny portion of the garage like a 6x6 section
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CJPU6JI/re ... 1367582208
This little thing works unbelievable for cleaning up grinders and knives from fat.

jehosofat":1ep21jv6 said:
skyhightree1":1ep21jv6 said:

We put the white styrofoam insulation in the walls, then corrugated roof metal, so we can just hit it with the hose. Whatever you do, put a drain in the center of the floor.

Thanks for the info

True Grit Farms":197rzroz said:
skyhightree1":197rzroz said:
True Grit Farms":197rzroz said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CJPU6JI/re ... 1367582208
This little thing works unbelievable for cleaning up grinders and knives from fat.

Thanks... That is awesome I never knew they made those .. Thanks again

HDRider":3i7xd6wd said:
I really want to do something like this too.

Keep us posted Jules.

Will do. I been needing one for years and am pretty close to being caught up with more pressing projects so I will be able to work on this finally. First step is putting my hanging pole together its some metal poles I got from a warehouse that was being demolished.

might be able to pick up a refrigerated box for the back of a box truck and use it. i've seen them around.

I agree with everyone saying your plans are too small. I'd suggest thinking of the largest size you would ever need then building it twice this size. You'll be cramped but you can get by if you organize things right. With all the stuff you make I'd love to see you try and fill the eventual Walmart orders in an 8x8 space.

Are you making any progress ? I would love to see some pictures of your set up when you get started as well as from some of you that already have your own processing sheds .

mayesfarm":zhi7mzcx said:
Are you making any progress ? I would love to see some pictures of your set up when you get started as well as from some of you that already have your own processing sheds .

I wish i could say i started but with the rain behind work and behind on hay behind on baling straw etc I havent even done anything i will post pics once i start

I know its tiny but this is going to have to do this year as I am slam behind on everything and still not feeling 100% and up to building a shed so I got a 6x6x7 sturdy crate that I will install a table to cut up pigs on for this year I will probably only keep and process 2 for myself and hopefully next year will be a better year and I can build the one I really want. I know I can go back and turn it into a cooler after my shop I want is built. Just one of those years where you spin your wheels and cant get a lot done but you do what you can and use what you have. I may incorporate this into the build of the one I want