Butchering a cow question

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
I've got a 4yr old cow that will calve in May. She's got terribly dry, flaky skin and a couple spots that look like rain rot but never go away - she's had them since a calf. So far she has not passed this on to either of her two calves. However, I'm thinking about culling her to free up some space. She won't be exposed to a bull after calving. How long should I hang onto her before butchering? I'm thinking at the normal 6 month weaning time I'll do it, but am looking for any suggestions.

That's what we do, they calve, go to a pasture with no bull, raise the calf and they both go whenever it feels right to the sale barn, weaning or prices are real high or whatever. Are you planning on butchering her for yourself? I am assuming that you will make mostly burger? You will want her to be eating good grass and/or hay so she has some good flesh.

Thanks FJ. Yes she'll be for family. How should I cut her up? Any roasts or the loins worth saving from being burger?

Are you doing the butchering? I am not a good judge. Our butcher will call us after he has hung an animal and tell us how easily the meat cuts. An indication of tenderness. We do the filet on most any/all animals, if the cutting is good then have done some steaks and such. Cube steak and stew beef. 4 is not that old. Ribs and such. NY strip steak, or even sirloin if well marbled, maybe? I always go by our guys' advice.

Might be worth grafting her calf onto someone else an have her come in in the fall nice and fat and butcher ready. Probably be a fine eating experience.

Silver":1ksljfze said:
Might be worth grafting her calf onto someone else an have her come in in the fall nice and fat and butcher ready. Probably be a fine eating experience.

That might be a good idea unless she is one that tends to stay fat. She will have better meat and all if just grazing away with no calf on her.

I'll get the opinion of the butcher in what cuts if any to make. So she'll taste better with no calf nursing? Is there an ideal time without a calf before butchering?

Just my opinion, but I see you are in Michigan. I don't know her condition after calving, but I'd probably either graft her calf, bottle feed or simply sell immediately. We would want to wait to get her on some green grass in spring and even add some corn/grain based feed to her daily diet for 30 days minimum. It will add to the cost, but why go thru the trouble, and cost of processing for hamburger a d possibly sub par steaks etc. Good luck in whatever you do. Let us know.

Latest posts