Butchering a bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I've harvested many a 6yr or older bull moose over the yrs! The older the tastier as long as you get them before rutting season in November. Oldest Angus bull 4yrs was no different just not much fat in the meat

I've harvested many a 6yr or older bull moose over the yrs! The older the tastier as long as you get them before rutting season in November. Oldest Angus bull 4yrs was no different just not much fat in the meat
Was there any extreme toughness?

I'm kicking around the idea of keeping 2 or 3 bull calves back yearly to let some folks use to breed as long yearlings. Plan would be to beef them as a 2 year old ish. I figure as long as they get 120 to 150 days post breeding and fed well the whole time they should be good eating.

Well - I was always told bulls make good carcasses IF they have not been breeding <16 months old. Hormones change the flavor of the meat. Also, I "believe" it also affects the marbling, but old brain, not sure on that one.
In the least, the marbling part makes a lot of sense. Was wondering if 100+ days of corn could put it back. Could grind them maybe if could find a place to go with it.

Was there any extreme toughness?

I'm kicking around the idea of keeping 2 or 3 bull calves back yearly to let some folks use to breed as long yearlings. Plan would be to beef them as a 2 year old ish. I figure as long as they get 120 to 150 days post breeding and fed well the whole time they should be good eating.
Not really

Big fat bulls bring a lot of money when sold through the ring, they are butchering these bulls, does it all go to hamburger?
My kin in the business says they will cut some steak and brisket off of them?
The bigger and fatter the bull, the more money they bring.

I'm thinking when my hereford bull gets too old to breed anymore that I'll probably have him all ground up and sell to my customers, would the meat be any different than having a cow ground up? I've had several grass fat cows ground up with good results. I'll just have to have several people buy in on the bull as he'll make a lot of burger.

I'm thinking when my hereford bull gets too old to breed anymore that I'll probably have him all ground up and sell to my customers, would the meat be any different than having a cow ground up? I've had several grass fat cows ground up with good results. I'll just have to have several people buy in on the bull as he'll make a lot of burger.
I'd probably let the butcher decide if the steaks were good if it were me. Probably a slim chance, but ya never know. Their knife should be able to tell.

In the least it'll be some jam-up ground beef.

I'd probably let the butcher decide if the steaks were good if it were me. Probably a slim chance, but ya never know. Their knife should be able to tell.

In the least it'll be some jam-up ground beef.
Im going to promise you that most bulls sold each week for slaughter doesnt go into ground beef.
Someone stated that they dont kill the young elk or moose, they kill the oldest and biggest. That sure doesn't go into burgers.

Im going to promise you that most bulls sold each week for slaughter doesnt go into ground beef.
Someone stated that they dont kill the young elk or moose, they kill the oldest and biggest. That sure doesn't go into burgers.
I can believe it! I just figure most people wouldn't. Hence me wording that with an "easy out." I don't wanna box myself in.

I had a ribeye and egg sandwich for breakfast that came from a 3 year old bull but it was fed corn few times a week its whole life and didnt tend very many cows. Not sure how that compares to most.

I had a mrkt bull buyer tell me once that a bull carcass can absorb its weight in water. Then they add cow fat and get a $hit ton of hamburger.

Big fat bulls bring a lot of money when sold through the ring, they are butchering these bulls, does it all go to hamburger?
My kin in the business says they will cut some steak and brisket off of them?
The bigger and fatter the bull, the more money they bring.
90%+ Hamburger and processed meats. Younger bulls will have some cut out.

I've not done a bull either.
Did an old cow last year. Mostly burger, except filets and ribeyes. The filets were great. The ribeyes not so great.

I've got an older cow being processed right now. Butcher says to do filets and ribeyes. May even take a couple sirloins. Thinks they will be decent. I'll take his word for it. He's been doing it long enough.

All else fails, I'll chicken fry them ribeyes!
Filets are good no matter the age only muscle not used lol so doesn't get tough with age. At least that was what a butcher told me and we have butchered older bulls and found it to be true. We did butcher one that had broken his leg and that was the worst meat we have ever had, flavor was just off. I wondered if is was due to the injury and stress.

Latest posts