butchering at 12 to 14 months

Help Support CattleToday:

rw77

Reaction score
I'm planning on butchering at 12 to 14 months . I would like your opinions on how to feed

Aggressively. :)

Your cattle's genetics will play a large part in what your outcome will be. If you are simply feeding out to butcher for personal use -- you can either just go cheap (grass/hay) or simple (whole corn + hay/grass) or expensive (purchased feed ration from a reputable feed mill + hay/grass).

I start my weaned calves on a grain ration immediately. That gets slowly raised until they are given a heavy grain diet (always with access to plenty of hay/grass/corn stalks).

I'm planning on butchering at 12 to 14 months . I would like your opinions on how to feed
Where are you located? What breed? A steer? How old currently?
I'd feed him hard and heavy if I wanted to butcher young.
I want some meat on the bone and at just 12-14 months expect a lot of skeleton
hanging weight with sub-optimal yield, if you don't push the feed to him.
15 month breeding age = calving at 24 months
Just to give you a perspective on size/weight.

Last edited:
I've found 18-20 months old to be the sweet spot for me. I butchered some last year a little younger, it was good meat, just had to push them harder to get finish and they didn't have as much frame as they could've if I'd waited til that 18-20 month time frame. As Stickney stated, genetics plays a big part of that but I've fed out several sets from other producers and 18-20 months old seems to work good with about any genetics.

I think that is too young/small. But to each their own. 😃

It all depends on what you like.

I prefer a full size carcass. I have heard/read that they don't put on intramuscular fat until a certain point in maturity. Could be wrong.

I see show steers grade choice at 14-15 months but it takes the right genetics and very good feed.
I'm going to venture to say I doubt that 90+% of the beef killed in this area is choice grade. Some are 600-800lb, some are fat cows. But it's beef off the farm so it's usually (good).

ok friends , after reading all comments I've decided to stretch it to closer to the 18 months . I haven't made the butcher appt. yet so shouldn't be a problem . I forgot to mention I'm in Ohio and raising black Angus so the calves are on the mother and hay right now and were born the first part of December

ok friends , after reading all comments I've decided to stretch it to closer to the 18 months . I haven't made the butcher appt. yet so shouldn't be a problem . I forgot to mention I'm in Ohio and raising black Angus so the calves are on the mother and hay right now and were born the first part of December
Better make your appointment now, some areas are scheduling 6-12 months out…

when you butcher will really depend on genetics and cost of high energy feeds... Grain around here is too expensive and a PITA to get, so mine are grass fed.. I found 26-28 months to be a good time, they've had some green grass after their 2nd winter, they've put on frame and now put on fresh fat
unless you push them really hard, I think it's kinda wasteful to butcher before they've grown up a bit

Latest posts