Butcher Time (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Spent the day playing butcher. Killed and quartered this steer today and then started making some kabanos sausage and made some fresh cajun sausage out of a show pig I bought. Plan on giving half the beef to a very unselfish fella that helped me out this year and a quarter to the local food bank since I've heard their donations have fallen short of late. I think he will dress out well since he was pretty thick bodied and short legged. My buddy, a butcher, helped me with it cause I'm still not on the learning curve. He said he thought it was really going to be good since he cut so easily. I'll know more once the carcus is cooled and the marbling is more pronounced but he is usually dead on.

IMG_4075.jpg

Looked a little bigger once we got him winched up.

upright.jpg

Close up of the round. Lots of fat flecks in here.

IMG_4077.jpg

Pic of the meat between the sirloin and the short loin. Fat is dispersed in a gentle web throughout with just one heavy deposit to one side. Lots of flecks though and a pretty good web. I can't really tell what its going to do yet till the carcus cools but I think its going to be pretty decent. Hope so anyway.

steak.jpg

I've done a lot of butchering at home and can say you and your buddy did a very nice job. Nice job of cutting, lots of fat cover and looks to be some good eating ahead. :cowboy:

Wow, a beef and a hog the same day is a lot of work! But at least with the hang time on the beef you get a break before the cut n wrap. Looks like it's gonna be some really good beef. Good of you to give some to the food bank. Let those folks have some good wholesome beef for their kids instead of boxed mac n cheese, cans of tuna and other "non perishables" that usually get donated.

Kingfisher":1g57ovf2 said:
That was cool............................:) Show us the steaks!

Will do. Can't wait to see how they look - kinda like waiting on a test score if you know what I mean - but I'll let them hang a day per 100# before processing. Only reason we quartered it was because of the small cooler they are going in.

MO_cows":1g57ovf2 said:
a beef and a hog the same day is a lot of work!

I already had the hog broken down and have the hams aging in the attic but it still was a lot of work. Maybe its just me but I could do this all day but the clean up wears me out. Guess that's why I try to do a lot at any one sitting.

you put in a days work butchering.the meat looks good thats for sure.an it has a nice fat covering.

Latest posts