Butcher prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy,
You keep talking about the sale barn and feedlot??? So you sell junk at the feed lot. OK I understand this. You slaughter junk, ok I understand this. Most here are very interested in improving the quality of the beef they raise. I for one finish my beef. If I finish it, I put $$$$$ into it. I charge accordingly. If I just sell something out of the field with no finish, then the feedlot has something to do with it before slaughter. They put $$$$ into it. Or do you think all sale barn animals are slaughtered the next day after then sell :banana: ?

larryshoat":1uzpcr2t said:
JMichal":1uzpcr2t said:
SOMN

I am not saying you should be unfair to your customers. I am saying you should be fair to yourself.

If you charge $2.00 it would be $1920. At least you might cover your feed cost and time.
Feed would be 1.80 per day at 20lbs. Again using 2% of1000 lbs body weight.
1.80 X 270 days = $486 per head to finish. Probably $500 after hay and Vacs.
You were at $1440 - $500 = $940
That comes to .587/lb live 58.7cwt
Wouldn't you be better off selling calves.

Look here http://docscows.com/store.php?cm=214
You've lost me with all that . What does the 58.7 cwt represent?

Larry

He could put it in the pasture and sell it for that price. Why grain finish them, he might as well sell calves. What I'm gettin at is that he is spending $500 to sell his animal for $1440. $940 is not profit. It is what he is gettin for that animal - feed cost. If he put it out to pasture and sold it at the sale barn he would get around $1200 for a 1400 lb animal. His animal was 1600 with feed.
Bottm line, if we all keep charging what some packer pays when he buys a huge amount (bulk), then we might as well pack it up.

I could see charging that if I had a single customer that said he would buy 200 head for that price. And he would do it every year. The bulk absorbs some of the risk.

JMichal":1n9v7dkp said:
He could put it in the pasture and sell it for that price. Why grain finish them, he might as well sell calves. What I'm gettin at is that he is spending $500 to sell his animal for $1440. $940 is not profit. It is what he is gettin for that animal - feed cost. If he put it out to pasture and sold it at the sale barn he would get around $1200 for a 1400 lb animal. His animal was 1600 with feed.
Bottm line, if we all keep charging what some packer pays when he buys a huge amount (bulk), then we might as well pack it up.

I could see charging that if I had a single customer that said he would buy 200 head for that price. And he would do it every year. The bulk absorbs some of the risk.
Welcome to the feedlot buddy. Thats how it works with high priced grain. I could sit here and try to find a way to screw my friends and neighbors so I make a profit or I could find another way. I choose the latter of the 2.

Daybreak":kxtbvahu said:
Howdy,
You keep talking about the sale barn and feedlot??? So you sell junk at the feed lot. OK I understand this. You slaughter junk, ok I understand this. Most here are very interested in improving the quality of the beef they raise. I for one finish my beef. If I finish it, I put $$$$$ into it. I charge accordingly. If I just sell something out of the field with no finish, then the feedlot has something to do with it before slaughter. They put $$$$ into it. Or do you think all sale barn animals are slaughtered the next day after then sell :banana: ?
Did you post this in the wrong thread by accident because you made no sense what so ever. Where did anyone ever say they sold junk to a feedlot or that anyone slaughters junk?

Daybreak":1i2he5yv said:
Howdy,

Exactly!!

SOMN

If you sell directly to a meat packer you are selling bulk. Your neighbors are not buying this way. 200 head may be 200 trips to the Butcher shop. I am not talking about screwing you friends and neighbors. I'm taking about selling them your product at a reasonable price, they are screwing you.

JMichal":6cwk57gi said:
Daybreak":6cwk57gi said:
Howdy,

Exactly!!

Both of you two don't comprehend very well. Could be your thinking about what your gona say next.

JMichal":2p5i63et said:
SOMN

If you sell directly to a meat packer you are selling bulk. Your neighbors are not buying this way. 200 head may be 200 trips to the Butcher shop. I am not talking about screwing you friends and neighbors. I'm taking about selling them your product at a reasonable price, they are screwing you.
That is exactly what you are talking about screwing your friends and neighbors. I will not do it. The cattle cost the same as calves regardless who I sell them to the feed costs the same regardless who I sell them to. Guess what they will get sold for the same regardless who I sell them to. If I could figure out a way to put this in caps and make it bold with an underline I would. Here goes for those who can't comprehend well as Wewild said.
I WILL NOT DO FAVORS FOR THE PACKING INDUSTRY THAT I DON'T DO FOR MY FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS. They are treated as equals. You can make all the excuses you want for the prices you charge thats up to you. I will not take advantage of the locals just because I can.

Wewild":2ai12hmc said:
JMichal":2ai12hmc said:
Daybreak":2ai12hmc said:
Howdy,

Exactly!!

Both of you two don't comprehend very well. Could be your thinking about what your gona say next.

Exactly! :lol: :lol: :lol:

somn":7gmxk8lr said:
JMichal":7gmxk8lr said:
SOMN

That is exactly what you are talking about screwing your friends and neighbors. I will not do it. The cattle cost the same as calves regardless who I sell them to the feed costs the same regardless who I sell them to. Guess what they will get sold for the same regardless who I sell them to. If I could figure out a way to put this in caps and make it bold with an underline I would. Here goes for those who can't comprehend well as Wewild said.
I WILL NOT DO FAVORS FOR THE PACKING INDUSTRY THAT I DON'T DO FOR MY FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS. They are treated as equals. You can make all the excuses you want for the prices you charge thats up to you. I will not take advantage of the locals just because I can.

My mom lives in Shoreview she is 75 yrs old, is that local enough. I will send one of my 6 brothers to pick up some good Beef if that is okay. Sounds like a heck of a deal to me.

JMichal":10oie84w said:
SOMN

This ain't sams club buying in bulk costs more. Somebody needs to sit you down and explain cattle to you. Tell me what brings more money per head. Five 6 cwt angus steers or eighty six 6 cwt steers from the same home? How about 36 1450 angus fats or 2 1450 angus fats from the same home? Big numbers pay big dollars. Even a rookie in the cattle business knows that.

JMichal":ro4l8vdd said:
My mom lives in Shoreview she is 75 yrs old, is that local enough. I will send one of my 6 brothers to pick up some good Beef if that is okay. Sounds like a heck of a deal to me.
Well she will need to call now for a July appt.

JMichal":d8ruqnp5 said:
Wewild":d8ruqnp5 said:
JMichal":d8ruqnp5 said:
Exactly!!

Exactly! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm glad you agree and i hope daybreak does as well. You both can learn alot more when you try to understand.

Wewild":l2p0tob3 said:
I'm glad you agree and i hope daybreak does as well. You both can learn alot more when you try to understand.

What you need to try to understand is that somn claims 40% of his product is select. Because the index he is using, 40% of that is select. I hope he sells my family the choice stuff at a price cheaper than you can buy hamburger for retail. Wewild what do you sell yours for?

No wonder the cattle buisness is in such disarray. Big buisness and government got the producer squeezed down so tight they can't fart.

I own 4 buisnesses, all of which are successful. One being our ranch. Maybe you will learn a little more when you try and understand.

JMichal":14w7c7lo said:
Wewild":14w7c7lo said:

What you need to try to understand is that somn claims 40% of his product is select. Because the index he is using, 40% of that is select. I hope he sells my family the choice stuff at a price cheaper than you can buy hamburger for retail. Wewild what do you sell yours for?

No wonder the cattle buisness is in such disarray. Big buisness and government got the producer squeezed down so tight they can't fart.

I own 4 buisnesses, all of which are successful. One being our ranch. Maybe you will learn a little more when you try and understand.
Where did somn say 40% of his product is select?

Larry

JMichal":1xuhqchj said:

You have one heck of a time comprehending don't you? Show me where I ever said anything about my cattle being any grade less than choice. I sell them as choice and thats what everyone will be or maybe even a prime if so lucky them.

somn":2m1fzjff said:
Aplus is this you with a different screen name you always do this you drag government into an arguement so it can get locked down. Remember what I told you I have forgotten more about cattle than you will ever learn.

somn":2r3tdcq7 said:
JMichal":2r3tdcq7 said:

You have one heck of a time comprehending don't you? Show me where I ever said anything about my cattle being any grade less than choice. I sell them as choice and thats what everyone will be or maybe even a prime if so lucky them.

Well the Index you are using to price your product. 40% of that is select. If only 10 % of yours is select than you have 30 % more choice than the index you are using. You are under selling your product. They are paying 1.50 on the average. They may pay you 1.75 for your product.
:help: :help: :help:
WILL YOU SELL MY FAMILY SOME BEEF?

somn":1o916i3v said:
somn":1o916i3v said:
Aplus is this you with a different screen name you always do this you drag government into an arguement so it can get locked down. Remember what I told you I have forgotten more about cattle than you will ever learn.

I have never had a different name. I have been monitoring this board for over 3 yrs. I don't say much to often. But I am sick and tired of listening to all the whining about Feed, Fuel, and Fertilizer. And then have you tell me you are selling your prduct at the value of an index in which 40% of the meat is grade select.

Time we all wake up.

JMichal":12pd3er4 said:
Well the Index you are using to price your product. 40% of that is select. If only 10 % of yours is select than you have 30 % more choice than the index you are using. You are under selling your product. They are paying 1.50 on the average. They may pay you 1.75 for your product.
:help: :help: :help:
WILL YOU SELL MY FAMILY SOME BEEF?
I am selling choice and I am charging for choice nowhere did I ever say I was selling anything but choice. People may get a prime if so lucky them they paid choice. Nowhere did I ever say the word select until you pulled it out of thin air and started flopping at the mouth about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts