Butcher Beef 101

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Locally, we have quite a few small producers that do butcher beef. And, of course, we get all kinds of questions from people that have only worked with the grocery store beef. A few months back, I wrote this up and shared it on the places the butcher beef people usually post, and they are free to share it with their customers. So are you; and you can change it as needed to fit what you do. Most of our beef customers are repeat people, but we did have a couple of new ones this year, and some folks that inquired but didn't buy; but it was so much easier to just email this out to them than to repeat all the info phone call after phone call.

"BUTCHER BEEF 101 CLASS: Butcher beef is on this page for sale, and I'm sure other butcher beef will show up within the next couple of months. I've had several people asking questions that have never bought local-grown beef before, so maybe this info might be helpful if any of you out there are thinking about doing this.

First, if you are buying a half or quarter, you will pay a deposit, and you are buying that beef "on-the-hoof", and paying to have it processed. In WA, I cannot sell you 4 packages of burger and 3 packages of steaks without going through USDA inspection. There are folks in the area that do (and can) sell you select cuts of beef via USDA regulations. Buying by the package, you will of course pay more $$ for roasts than burger, and more for steaks than roasts.

Grass fed vs. "finished" -- "Grass fed" animals are not fed grain. They are raised on grass pasture, but in this area, they have to be fed hay during the winter. There's lots of good quality hay here. "Finished" beef will generally be pulled off pasture for anywhere from 45-up to 90 days before slaughter, and put on a diet of hay and grain, which does increase fat but (unless they are over-conditioned), will add just enough fat for good marbeling, tenderness and flavor. Grass fed or "finished" is a personal preference. There is a difference in taste. Keep in mind that you can't get a steer that is half "grass fed" and half "finished." LOL!!

Okay, let's assume the entire carcass weighs 800 lbs. hanging (just cuz that's a nice, round number to work with) and that the price is $3 per pound, hanging . . . "Hanging weight" is head off, legs below the knees and hocks gone, skinned, and all guts/innards removed. 1/2 = 400 lbs. so a quarter would be 200 lbs. hanging weight. Those amounts are payable to the seller at the time the carcass has been weighed and is hanging at the butcher's, i.e., within a day or two of slaughter.

"Kill" or "slaughter" fee"per animal, depending on who does that job, will be probably about $75-$85 per animal, and usually the seller will ask that the buyers reimburse a proportionate share of that (at $75, 1/4 share would be $18.75).

The custom cutter is the person that will actually butcher/cut that carcass, wrap and package it to your specifications, and have it frozen and ready for your freezer. Custom cutter charges vary. Last year, our guy charged 50 cents/lb. to cut/wrap which adds adds another $100 if you have a 200-pound quarter, or $200 if you have a 400-pound half. Cut and wrap fees are paid directly to the cutter when the meat is picked up, usually a little over 2 weeks after slaughter. During that time, the carcass hangs in a cooler and "ages" before cut/wrap.

If the meat is ordered "boneless", total weight of the order will, of course, be less than if you wanted bones left in your steaks and roasts, and you wanted to keep ribs. Most of our folks do "boneless" because it takes up less room in the freezer, and most don't do ribs, but instead have rib meat put into the hamburger pile.

Lots of first-time beef buyers have asked me if their half will be the front half or the back half! One half is the same as "a side" -- half the beef, cut from neck to tail. The cutter takes instructions per half, and that way both buyers of a quarter get the same cuts of meat. Example: One roast for you/one roast for me; one lb. of burger for you/one for me; one sirloin steak for you/one for me, etc., etc. If you order an entire half, you can have that cutter do it any way you want.

It's a pretty big hit to your pocketbook to buy meat this way, since it's basically one shopping trip. But if you have the freezer capacity, and are able to commit the $$ to it, you can get your roasts, steaks and burger for about what you'd pay to go out and buy extra lean ground beef a package at a time. AND if you purchase from local producers, you will be able to find out exactly how that animal was fed and raised, and it's not likely you'll have to worry about hormones and antibiotics and other junk that comes from feedlot cattle to your grocery store.

End of class. :)"

I don't like your last sentence.
there are lots of positive ways to "sell" the superiority of freezer beef. We need to avoid using "negatives" damaging to commercial meat that is safe and satisfying to a greater number of people.
try
"People buying freezer beef have CONTROL over any issues that may personally bother them, as in concerns about residual antibiotics, hormones and added ingredients at processing."

I would add that you are paying less/lb because processors are allowed to add moisture back into processed meat-- custom processors do not.
and
very little beef that makes it to a retail store is dry aged(which also takes moisture out). Most custom processors dry age.
More meat--less water /lb

Like I said, Howdyjabo, anyone is welcome to copy/change/use as you deem appropriate. But that's how it was put out locally here. And I don't disagree with your comments -- good points.

This may turn into a good conversation,let's hope. I like the last sentence and use it with my customers. The fact that the beef I raise is beef, not dairy, and is hormone and antibiotic free is a great selling point and an eye opener for some clients. I should say, since the price of stock I ship is so much higher these days I don't hold many steers back for sale beef. The biggest reason is I hate dealing with the stupidest and most unethical animal in nature, they would have two legs. But beef prices fall I may go back. Now with that being said if during the time of raising the steer I need to use an antibiotic I just don't use the selling point "the beef is antibiotic free", my beef is always hormone free, but i'mnot going to lose or make an animal suffer because I want it to be antibiotic free, so it's not part of "the sale pitch" and I would eat it too.

One area I would change in Kathie's 101 class is we don't sell quarters, we sell half halves ..... I just bought a quarter and I want the right rear quarter. :D

I'm curious to how many "farm raised beef" producers worm the butcher animal shortly before butcher and of course wait out (and if finished the beef) the slaughter restrictions ? Meaning how many worm the animal before slaughter?

Alan":owpl8k98 said:
This may turn into a good conversation,let's hope. I like the last sentence and use it with my customers. The fact that the beef I raise is beef, not dairy, and is hormone and antibiotic free is a great selling point and an eye opener for some clients. I should say, since the price of stock I ship is so much higher these days I don't hold many steers back for sale beef. The biggest reason is I hate dealing with the stupidest and most unethical animal in nature, they would have two legs. But beef prices fall I may go back. Now with that being said if during the time of raising the steer I need to use an antibiotic I just don't use the selling point "the beef is antibiotic free", my beef is always hormone free, but i'mnot going to lose or make an animal suffer because I want it to be antibiotic free, so it's not part of "the sale pitch" and I would eat it too.

One area I would change in Kathie's 101 class is we don't sell quarters, we sell half halves ..... I just bought a quarter and I want the right rear quarter. :D

I'm curious to how many "farm raised beef" producers worm the butcher animal shortly before butcher and of course wait out (and if finished the beef) the slaughter restrictions ? Meaning how many worm the animal before slaughter?

Alan, if our folks want a quarter, they have to team up with someone on a half and share same cutting instructions. Lucky guy if you can find someone to sell you that rear quarter! :) And we worm per protocol -- well before butcher, and well before finishing time. Have not had to address antibiotics ahead of butcher, except at maybe 6-7 mos. old, right after they first get here -- never after that, but would follow the directions if needed and would let our people know. So, technically, I guess, if it applied to a particular critter over weaning age, I wouldn't say no/-0-/none antibiotics.

Good things to this.
When we sell a quarter it is actually half of a half not a hind or forequarter.
We also "finish" on grass as in my vocab finish relates to the degree of fat not to the diet.
As far as antbiotics go I always state "preventative antibiotic free" - doesn't rule out treatment in necessary and of course following the withholding periods

goddy":2bnq5vtu said:
Good things to this.
When we sell a quarter it is actually half of a half not a hind or forequarter.
We also "finish" on grass as in my vocab finish relates to the degree of fat not to the diet.
As far as antbiotics go I always state "preventative antibiotic free" - doesn't rule out treatment in necessary and of course following the withholding periods
Goddy, our halves are split nose to tail, of course, so anyone getting a quarter, after they've agreed on the cutting instructions for that half: A pound of burger for you Jane, and one for you John; a chuck roast to you Jane and one to John; a pkg of T-bones to Jane and another for John; and on and on until the half is divided up between the quarter people.

chippie":2uyqt47s said:
Kathie,
What if one of your calves gets sick? Do you never give any antibiotics or meds?
We had to treat pink-eye once on a 7-mo. steer (lucky so far). Told our buyers about it; no problem. If it happened again in the future--as it's bound to, eventually--we would disclose.

thats well written and almost exactly..even the monies..how we do it..very nice. i couldve wrote that but no one would know wtf i meant..thanx
gary

Kathie in Thorp":15nz73uv said:
chippie":15nz73uv said:
Kathie,
What if one of your calves gets sick? Do you never give any antibiotics or meds?
We had to treat pink-eye once on a 7-mo. steer (lucky so far). Told our buyers about it; no problem. If it happened again in the future--as it's bound to, eventually--we would disclose.

Good deal. I wouldn't think that anyone would have a problem with that. I just wondered. I have another question. Isn't your processor USDA inspected? Here in Texas all processors are. There have been times when I've taken a beef or hog in to be butchered and the USDA person is there.

I have a friend who sells grass fed beef. They raise a heritage breed in South Texas. This is from her FAQs page:

The beef is charged at $3.50 per pound by hanging carcass weight. This is the amount of the animal after the hide, entrails, etc. have been removed. The amount of meat you'll get after deboning and some fat are removed will be approximately 60-65% of the carcass weight. Because it is not injected with water, saline or other so-called enhancers, you are getting a nutritionally dense product rather than paying for water and fat.

I think that the info about not getting the added water, saline and other so called enhancers is good. So many people don't read the label on the grocery store products. I like the wording too.

On a different forum, someone kept spamming the board with a not-so-subtle endorsement for an "all natural, grass fed bulk pack on ranch processor out in the central NW US. I looked at their website, and the beef is probably as good as any, but man, the prices were out of this world IMO, for a qtr or 1/2, and included 'sausage', links, kielbasa, corned beef, pastrami, and beef hot dogs". About $800/qtr, which I think works out to be over $10/lb--delivered.

chippie":uatei9wm said:
Kathie in Thorp":uatei9wm said:
chippie":uatei9wm said:
Kathie,

Good deal. I wouldn't think that anyone would have a problem with that. I just wondered. I have another question. Isn't your processor USDA inspected? Here in Texas all processors are. There have been times when I've taken a beef or hog in to be butchered and the USDA person is there.

I have a friend who sells grass fed beef. They raise a heritage breed in South Texas. This is from her FAQs page:

The beef is charged at $3.50 per pound by hanging carcass weight. This is the amount of the animal after the hide, entrails, etc. have been removed. The amount of meat you'll get after deboning and some fat are removed will be approximately 60-65% of the carcass weight. Because it is not injected with water, saline or other so-called enhancers, you are getting a nutritionally dense product rather than paying for water and fat.

I think that the info about not getting the added water, saline and other so called enhancers is good. So many people don't read the label on the grocery store products. I like the wording too.

Yeah, that's good language. Chippie, we are not required here to use a USDA cutter to do what we do. HOWEVER, if we were selling by the package, we'd have to do that.

Just to add to what Kathie has already said, we do have USDA facilities here in Oregon and Washington, the two states have pretty much the same requirements. If you wanted to sell a few packaged steaks it has to be USDA approved. But in Oregon there are not too many USDA facilities. But you are allowed to sell a percentage of a live animal and have it processed for a client. So what I do and many others is sell whole, halves and half halves of a live steer. In my case anything smaller than a half halve the client has to find someone to split it with, I don't mess with 1/8's. I charge for hanging weight, the client pays me for their share and their share of processing fees to the butcher. The wrapped meat is returned with a "not for resale" stamped on the packages.

I have posted this link a couple times in the past. But a lot of folks say they haul their animals to the processor. We have mobile processors out here. Here's a steer we had done a few years ago;

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54641&p=628222&hilit=Graphic#p628222

For the northwest I am lucky because I have a USDA inspected slaughter facility about 10-12 miles from my place. I also have a USDA inspected cut and wrap facility less then 2 miles away. But to get one killed USDA it cost more than custom slaughter by about $20 and the cut and wrap is almost double in price. It doesn't make sence to use them if you are not selling by the package or to restraunts. All of the custom slaughter facilities both the trucks and the cut and wrapping are state inspected. So it is not like these people are fly by night types.
On the other side of the coin. One of our custom slaughter guys retired. Another one had his truck burn up. So you have to reserve a time months in advance as there is a shortage of slaughter availability right now.

Latest posts