But we run Gardiner bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

MoGal":1wrbwfog said:
Well, do you suppose Grandpa would let you breed about 5 of his cows to hereford bull ---- just to see if those calves brought more than his straightbred angus???

Mo, I think we all know the old man is not going to let him do that....because the old man probably thinks Oak would be proven right.....otherwise he would have bought a Herf from him and then dogged Oak to death about the sucky calves that year he used the Herf bull.

I would say that at some point he is going to use one of my bulls. I will probably have to give it to him, but it would be great marketing down there.

MoGal":g5q25pg9 said:
Well, do you suppose Grandpa would let you breed about 5 of his cows to hereford bull ---- just to see if those calves brought more than his straightbred angus??? You already know they will but can you present it to him so that its his idea???

If not, I'd get a few commercial blacks and be subtle but let him know how much you got when they topped the salebarn.

Or why not breed five of his Hereford cows to an Angus bull and see if they outperform his straightbred Herefords?

oakcreekfarms":nkuofg8e said:
I would say that at some point he is going to use one of my bulls. I will probably have to give it to him, but it would be great marketing down there.

oakcreekfarms, Why don't you use BA bulls on your Herford Cows?

Because I only run a registered herd right now. If I ever get big to expand with a commercial herd I will run hereford cows with an angus bull.

oakcreekfarms":24bbrbvq said:
I have seen his calves, nothing really to shake a stick at. He only buys the low priced gardiner bulls, and as the saying goes: cheap s&*t ain't good, and good s&$t ain't cheap.

I am not going to change what I am doing, he won't change. He only does what the manager of the herd says to do. And right now that is buy black cows and only run black bulls. I told him that I didn't care if he didn't buy one of my bulls, but at least buy something other then angus bulls. Every year the neighbors char bull jumps the fence and breeds 10 cows or so, and every year those chars out weigh the angus by 100lbs or more. But grandpa is proud of his black cattle, and refuses to change even with the results in front of him. It makes little business sense, and that is what bothers me more then anything. And I assume that most everyone knows at least one person who is the same. In my opinion that is what is driving the (from perspective) depreciation of angus cattle. If you can sell bulls every 30 seconds for a minimium of $2500 why cull.

By the way this is my married into grandpa, which makes it even more tricky to attempt to talk sense into him.

The decision maker is not your grandfather. The herd manager is where the sale resides. Tell me a little about the herd manager.

You gonna use your powers of persuasion to get him to come over to your side, Herefordsire?

Badlands

Badlands":1kxi5j3e said:
You gonna use your powers of persuasion to get him to come over to your side, Herefordsire?

Badlands

One time I won a sales contest (one of many) and the prize was a lobster dinner with Mickey Mantle @ Ruths steakhouse in Atlanta. I have found that "the key in sales" is listening.

I started calling Mick, Mr. Mantle while talking about the Yanks. He told me, "Dan....call me Mick." A buddy of mine located a "Boys Life" magazine dated in 1960 or 61 with him on the cover at a garage sale in Atlanta. He gave it to me to get Mick to sign it. I did. It is probably worth about $250K now. I recevied several official major league base balls signed by him and his autobiography signed.

Want to hear another story?

Good story, but I still suspect that the old man and his farm manager will keep straight breeding Angus cows. I still think Oak can make more money marketing those straight Angus heifers than he can selling the old guy a bull he doesn't want, but I am inclined to take people at their word......for whatever that is worth.

the manager of the herd is just a guy that does the vaccinations on the cattle. He has a pretty good deal, 1/3 of the cows on the farm are his, he doesn't pay rent for year round grass hay or additional cubes. The vaccinations are split 3 ways, and he doesn't pay for the up keep of the land.

Brandon: what kind of premium can you get on those type of cattle. Some of the people around here are selling pairs like that for around $1500.

Brandonm2":1it67zq4 said:
Good story, but I still suspect that the old man and his farm manager will keep straight breeding Angus cows. I still think Oak can make more money marketing those straight Angus heifers than he can selling the old guy a bull he doesn't want, but I am inclined to take people at their word......for whatever that is worth.

I don't think Oak is after the money (profit). Sounds like profit may be one minor consequence though when he closes this deal. I believe Oak is convinced at the prospect of genuinely helping his grandfather-in-law. These older geesers like my father (82) are very wise. However, it sounds like he is spinning his wheels when the "man with the plan" is the manager and not the grandfather.

HerefordSire":3e3maqun said:
Badlands":3e3maqun said:

Badlands

One time I won a sales contest (one of many) and the prize was a lobster dinner with Mickey Mantle @ Ruths steakhouse in Atlanta. I have found that "the key in sales" is listening.

I started calling Mick, Mr. Mantle while talking about the Yanks. He told me, "Dan....call me Mick." A buddy of mine located a "Boys Life" magazine dated in 1960 or 61 with him on the cover at a garage sale in Atlanta. He gave it to me to get Mick to sign it. I did. It is probably worth about $250K now. I recevied several official major league base balls signed by him and his autobiography signed.

I would really like to hear another story. That one was more interesting than a lot of stuff on here. By the way, was that one true?

the manager of the herd is just a guy that does the vaccinations on the cattle.

How old is he? What race is he? Is he married? Is he left handed? Does he have a beard or a mustache? Does he wear overalls? Cowboy boots? College educated? How long has he known your grandfather? What does your wife think about him? Do you like him? Does he like you? What does he think of your cattle?

He has a pretty good deal, 1/3 of the cows on the farm are his, he doesn't pay rent for year round grass hay or additional cubes. The vaccinations are split 3 ways, and he doesn't pay for the up keep of the land.

Does he have a picture of your grandfather naked?

Ryder":3nisbdtl said:
HerefordSire":3nisbdtl said:
Badlands":3nisbdtl said:

Badlands

I would really like to hear another story. That one was more interesting than a lot of stuff on here. By the way, was that one true?

The other half of the equation is you must have the right product at the right time cuzz sometimes is doesn't matter how good a salesperson you are. To have the right product in inventory (or have the capability to short sell it), you have to buy the right product at a good price at the right time.

This story is about the buy side of the equation. Yes, this is a true story just like the other one:

A group of investors and I became interested in an equity security because I noticed in the 10K (annual report) of the company that some insiders (executives) had some personal shares restricted and the only way they would not lose them was for the company to make at least $1.00 per share by year end which was almost about a year away. It was in black and white for any layperson to comprehend. However, I was not about ready to advertise it. I could take a simple 20 PE multiplier and come up with over $20 per share (20 * $1.00).

After I thoroughly checked the company out, I started to accumulate the stock at a very low price and the group followed suit. The market makers that were selling us the stock were shorting the stock simultaneously instead of having the books break even (inventory position) at the end of the day like they are supposed to. The reason why they did not buy the stock first and then sell the stock to me, or sell the stock to me and the immediately buy the stock to cover their position, is because they thought the stock would go down and they didn't have the public information we did. They were willing to take a chance in return for a hefty profit. Boy were they wrong! So this is what happened. I kept buying the stock and increasing my position and the group of investors followed suit but noone was selling stock to the market and the shares placed to us were also being shorted. In other words, the market makers were increasing their price per share by shorting more as the price increased similar to the way long investors would average down (buy more) when the stock price they owned decreased. By the time the stock went up about 500 percent, I started receiving phone calls from the market makers wanting me to sell them stock so they could cover their short position. I knew this was a textbook "short squeeze". The only way they could get out or their position was for them to go to the market and buy their way out. Each time they bought shares to cover some of their shares short, they made the price of the stock go up. They had no choice but to lose money. Anyway, we took profits when an investment firm began recommending the stock and the street hopped all over it. We sold the shares to the street. I don't know what happened to the market makers but they more than likely got fired.

So here is the point: You should have good sales and business acumen by listening (smelling, feeling, touching, etc.) very very closely to what the client is really saying and it is very very important to buy the product at a good price and have the product in inventory at the right time.