Busy Busy Busy

Help Support CattleToday:

NEFarmwife

Reaction score
Just wanted to update everyone on the going ons around our place.

I had my gallbladder removed and once was able to return to work, accepted a new promotion. I now have my own office about 25-30 minutes from home. I am no longer traveling to multiple offices throughout the week across this state.

We hired a company to re-design our logo and create a website for our PB operation. The website is currently in the works but I am so excited for this, I feel like a kid at Christmas.

We recently began a partnership with a large seedstock in both the PB and feedyard sector. I will keep that name private but it has been off to a great start. We're in-taking 90-100 head every few days. Next week should be our last load. It all was in talks for a bit and then happened so fast... so we are still building new pens that we had planned on putting off till next year. Opportunity knocks, you got to answer.

My husband has been working non-stop on the pens. Last night, a load of cattle arrived around 3AM. I made the trucker coffee and fed him breakfast before he left. It is football season. I have a senior this year. We're fall calving/breeding/flushing. It is really non-stop. Harvest is underway. Yikes. Oh, we built a new bunker for our feed too.

Our banker stopped by yesterday while we were finishing up some calves and we took him around to show him the changes we made and he couldn't believe the amount of work that had been done. Major Props to my husband...I am just his cheerleader. The only work he hired out was the concrete work.

Good for you.

I hope your gallbladder surgery benefitted you as much as mine did me. I have about 20 % more energy and I needed a booster.

Bright Raven said:
Good for you.

I hope your gallbladder surgery benefitted you as much as mine did me. I have about 20 % more energy and I needed a booster.

I am definitely doing better. As for energy, no. I burn the candle at every end and if anything, more tired than ever. I keep thinking, just have to get THIS done and THAT done, then it'll slow down. Then I realize it is just a never ending cycle. :deadhorse:

I'm certainly glad your surgery went well. I need a nap after reading your activities. If I were that busy, I'd be in the loony bin before long.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
So, you have an "off farm" job besides everything else. Yikes!

Yep. Use to be part time prior to promotion. It is a government job, which is why I work off farm. Retirement and health insurance. I really don't like NOT being available on big cattle days. Today though, we are running close to 200 calves thru the chute. Some of these fellas have been difficult to work.

Thought you were a "baller" as you told me. Remember, "5,000 acres in Nebraska!" "We scoffed at a $6,500 rake." But you work a $35,000 a year job for benefits??

1. Why do you have to be "that guy"?
2. Have you ever priced out "out of pocket" health insurance, for example?

Richnm said:
Thought you were a "baller" as you told me. Remember, "5,000 acres in Nebraska!" "We scoffed at a $6,500 rake." But you work a $35,000 a year job for benefits??
My wife and I did the same thing only starting and running a dairy. Both quit good jobs and nearly lost everything. I was hired by the same company when I asked to come back. Looking back my wife and I have regrets about trying to live the good life on the farm. If we had it to do over again we would work the jobs that had pensions which we do have and would have taken the five week vacations each year instead of finding something to do on the land. We still have the land we bought and if sold today it would average about $3500 per acre. Some we bought cheap and did barrow money when younger but strived to be out of debt as quick as possible. Debt free at 45 years old. I am now 78 plus 10 months. About the average age people in the USA live to. Did the IRA,s 401's to the max each year to get company share. I still have the cows but am whittling down to hope zero within the next 14 months been planning this for years but would say to myself one more calf crop. About the only goal we have now is to live healthy as long as we can. We did roll all of the 401's and Ira's over in to a Roth, why to not have to pay on the dividends and reduce the taxes on our Social Security benefits. We started planning for our future at a young age. We started the SS pension at 62 years old. I am now at the break even point if I had waited until 70.
We never used any financial advisors and are not planning to at this point in life. We did talk to some and listened to them and asked them questions about their personal plans and found out we were doing okay. Their main goal was to manage and keep some for themselves. Always plan to invest and have mail box money coming in. Final summary thanks to some good jobs and investments we are comfortable in our old age.

Boot Jack Bulls said:

Currently I'm paying just under $400 per month for my health insurance and it doesn't get cheaper goes up periodically.

Richnm said:

I actually make a very good living. And I didn't scoff at a $6500 rake, I BOUGHT the $6500 rake. You made fun of me. Maybe my frugalness and work ethic is why we're in such a good position? This isn't the best economy to be growing your ranching or farming business but here we are...killing it!

My health insurance is $75 a month and my employer contributes $2600 to my PCA account on a 3K deductible. Let me tell ya... The retirement and health is worth it. Farming does NOT provide good health or retirement.

Boot Jack Bulls said:

When my husband insured himself privately, he was paying over $300 a month and his deductible was thru the roof!

Boot Jack Bulls said:

Yup. $2,400 a month for 4 , it's on Automatic payment. I decline the free healthcare program for Native Americans.

Latest posts