The modern busy lifestyle

Help Support CattleToday:

Stress is working on someone else's schedule.

Removing stress is doing what you want when you want. :2cents:

I have worked with the public for 30+ years. the last 15 in roofing I deal with contractors and homeowners daily , I have a knack for it and one reason Is I tell them the truth. If it takes 2 weeks for material it takes 2 weeks. I solve problems 90% of the time so working on fence, plowing, mowing, cutting grass, stacking hay, whatever work there is to do is not for money most of the time its for sanity. A rolling stone gathers no moss.

I don't think it's a laziness thing to not always go-go-go. I think it's just a difference of priorities, and personalities. I have a M-F 8-5 gig. I also have a 5 y/o that will only want to play Legos with me for a few more years until I'm uncool. When that changes, my priorities will change, too. I have weeds. My fencing projects take longer to build. But I'm happy with where I'm at in life. I get things that need to be done, done. Everything else is on a list that gets whittled away at. At night, I like to sit down and watch the sunset out the window with my wife in front of the TV. You never know when you're time is up, so I figure I'll enjoy it while I can.

Bestoutwest":1pewzkwm said:
I don't think it's a laziness thing to not always go-go-go. I think it's just a difference of priorities, and personalities. I have a M-F 8-5 gig. I also have a 5 y/o that will only want to play Legos with me for a few more years until I'm uncool. When that changes, my priorities will change, too. I have weeds. My fencing projects take longer to build. But I'm happy with where I'm at in life. I get things that need to be done, done. Everything else is on a list that gets whittled away at. At night, I like to sit down and watch the sunset out the window with my wife in front of the TV. You never know when you're time is up, so I figure I'll enjoy it while I can.

It seems like you get exactly what I'm trying to say; I can certainly relate to your post.

My 18 year old daughter got a plaque for my birthday that reads, "Enjoy the Little Things." She said she thought of me the moment she saw it.

M-5":3rlaacp8 said:
I have worked with the public for 30+ years. the last 15 in roofing I deal with contractors and homeowners daily , I have a knack for it and one reason Is I tell them the truth. If it takes 2 weeks for material it takes 2 weeks. I solve problems 90% of the time so working on fence, plowing, mowing, cutting grass, stacking hay, whatever work there is to do is not for money most of the time its for sanity. A rolling stone gathers no moss.

One of the most accurate, truthful statements on here. Anyone who deals with customer service, complaints, and finding solutions for problems knows the reality of this statement. You're pretty smucking fart M-5. (See I didn't call you a genius this time).

Just want to add, there have been some great posts on this topic. It's all about balance. Has taken me 44 years to start to understand that. Herofan, you have my utmost respect. What you do takes tremendous patience, tolerance and understanding. Special calling that few are equipped to answer.

Well I'm proud to be able to do physical work again. Being injured and told to take it easy and what to do, is no way to live. IMO I enjoy working and it's relaxing to me.

Ok, that answers it for you; you're just not wired to be that way, and you are philosophical about not being idle. I guess I'm just not wired to enjoy stress and acting like I'm going to starve if I don't stay busy all the time.

I saw a show the other day about a family in Alaska. It was " time" to harvest "poke" weed there. Part of being at peace I think is doing what God gives you when He gives it to you.

Thus all the scripture about retirement ...........oh wait a minute there ain't anything in scripture about retirement. Guess I better keep working .

Larry

Since we are sharing bible verses, here are a few I know. I think the bottom line in these verses is that work is in vain unless you put God first in your life. I don't know anyone here personally, so I can't say, but for the people I know in my real life, most aren't thinking of God while they stay so busy, but they are usually thinking of personal pleasure and gain, and missing church for more important activities, and often working just as hard on Sunday as any other. It's difficult for me to listen for the voice of God if all I ever do is work and stay caught up in the buzz of the modern world.

Psalms 127
1 (A Song of degrees for Solomon.) Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. 2 It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.

Luke 10:38-42
38Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. 39And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word. 40But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. 41And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: 42But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her

Mark 6:31
31 And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat.

Exodus 20
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Some people work smart and some run around in circles chasing butterflies and calling it work. I know a guy who would make his taking a dump in the morning sound like he really accomplished something and needed a raise and a plaque for his wall when he ain't done ....well you know.

I used to be proud of my high stress job because I was in high demand. About 12 years ago I realized that the only thing I had accomplished was to prop up a bad company and make myself miserable. 11 years ago I bought my first herd.

Jogeephus":38mb2khs said:
Some people work smart and some run around in circles chasing butterflies and calling it work. I know a guy who would make his taking a dump in the morning sound like he really accomplished something and needed a raise and a plaque for his wall when he ain't done ....well you know.

True, and as I've written, it's often difficult to get across what we mean just with typed words, but when I talk about people being so busy, I'm not just talking about work, I'm talking about that and everything else you add to it.

Most people work, then they have 10 sports activities they have to attend on weekends, one every night during the week, and they are involved with the Chamber, etc. And the thing is, at some point, most people will complain about being so busy, yet they do it.

I found it interesting the other day when I was at school and it was raining. Some of the girl softball players walked by the door and said, "Yeeeees, the game will be cancelled today!" I mentioned that to another lady whose daughter was into sports a few years ago, and she said, "Oh yes, we always loved it if practice or a game got cancelled, and my daughter did too." So my question is, "if you love not getting to do it, why do it in the first place?"

Another issue: My daughter's cheerleading coach was under so much stress due to some rules and regulation being changed, she was almost sick, but guess what, she signed up to coach tennis when it came open. My daughter couldn't believe it, and she confronted her about it. She didn't have a real good answer as to why she accepted it.

I'm just a guy who works and tries to do the best i can for my students and support myself and my family, and the rest of the time, I like to stop and smell the roses.

The job I retired from I had to always work on everyone else's time schedule (mainly lawyers and judges) besides doing my regular duties. After 20 years of that I vowed that any time schedule I had to work under would be my own and I've been true to it. MIL says I'm lazy, and the wife ain't always happy that I don't jump up and get nonessential things done in her time frame, but I no longer have stress in my life. Yep, I'm a little fat, but so was I when I worked and then ran a restaurant/catering biz. My plan is to enjoy what time I have left.