BULLS

Help Support CattleToday:

bsr

Reaction score
What are the best bulls to AI breed my cows.Also,what is the approx. price of artificial inseminating them.

bsr":1h7v8wvo said:
What are the best bulls to AI breed my cows.Also,what is the approx. price of artificial inseminating them.

The "best" bulls will depend on how you're selling your calves. At the sale barn, retaining ownership, background straight to the feedlot? Are you retaining heifers to grow your herd? You'll have to check around your local area and find out what techs are charging for AI work. Do you want to do the heat checking and call them when the cow is standing? Or do you want them to synch the cows and breed on time? Lots of questions YOU need to answer before anyone can give you a reliable answer to these questions.

bsr you did not say what you are raising.
Alot of guys on this board will give you a good list of bulls to look at if you let us know what breed or cross you are looking for.

WE are looking for any brangus,angus,braford,or beefmaster bulls

Bsr, we have brangus cattle primarily and A.I. all of them. We buy semen from Camp Cooley Ranch in Franklin, Texas and the price usually is around $40-$50 per straw is you are breeding a registered cow. For our commercial cows they will sell us the same semen for $10 per straw. You can either drive to the ranch and pick up the semen or they will ship it to you. If you do your own AI work you'll need to invest in a semen tank, a few AI supplies and pay to have your tank checked and refilled periodically.

TexasBred":2wjel48z said:
Bsr, we have brangus cattle primarily and A.I. all of them. We buy semen from Camp Cooley Ranch in Franklin, Texas and the price usually is around $40-$50 per straw is you are breeding a registered cow. For our commercial cows they will sell us the same semen for $10 per straw. You can either drive to the ranch and pick up the semen or they will ship it to you. If you do your own AI work you'll need to invest in a semen tank, a few AI supplies and pay to have your tank checked and refilled periodically.

And if you are like me, find a competent AI tech. My wife fired me last year because I was costing us more than the tech! Darn she still loves me though....

Avalon":17vz0gfo said:
TexasBred":17vz0gfo said:

And if you are like me, find a competent AI tech. My wife fired me last year because I was costing us more than the tech! Darn she still loves me though....

hahahahaha. Avalon I'm safe there. My wife IS the AI technician. My job is to just stay out of her way. :lol2:

NO,i am not breeding the runt heifers.Just some of my older cows that i bought

The best bulls for breeding depends on what the packer wants--- because the packing house is where your product ends. I am glad you brought this up, because so many people say this or that or whatever and since your final product ends up at the packer ---that is what you should be raising ---WHAT THEY WANT--- NOT WHAT YOU THINK IS GOOD!
I know a guy (name removed) trhat buys 20 percent of the cattle going on feed in the US --- Ya know what he wants? (no more than 1/4 Angus) --you kow what he gets from us?
3/4 Sim1/4 angus

Go get yourself a good Beefmaster and take it in the shorts---

From what I have heard the industry is looking for the smokies. They grow faster than anything else. With the price of feed and fuel these cattle are in big demand. It take less time for a smokie to finish out in the feedlot than most other crosses. Not all cases but most. This is just my opinion!

Oh yeah! The final product doesn't end up at the packer. The final product is in the store.

If you are not stuck on angus brangus beefmaster You might try A Fullblood Limousin Bull. Get low birth weights great preformance, By using fullblood limiousin genetics over purebred you get more hybrid vigor. You can get horned or polled. Check out fullblood Limousin bull DHanis Second to none in the classifed adds cattle Today.

simangus23":3r0rwzb5 said:
The best bulls for breeding depends on what the packer wants--- because the packing house is where your product ends. I am glad you brought this up, because so many people say this or that or whatever and since your final product ends up at the packer ---that is what you should be raising ---WHAT THEY WANT--- NOT WHAT YOU THINK IS GOOD!
I know a guy (name removed) trhat buys 20 percent of the cattle going on feed in the US --- Ya know what he wants? (no more than 1/4 Angus) --you kow what he gets from us?
3/4 Sim1/4 angus

simangus23 how can one man buy 20% of all the feeder cattle in the U.S.?

ollie?":2gaih2f8 said:
simangus23":2gaih2f8 said:
3/4 Sim1/4 angus

simangus23 how can one man buy 20% of all the feeder cattle in the U.S.?

Heck Ollie. That would only be 6 or 7 MILLION? :lol:

He'd get gangrene from having his hand in the air all the time. No blood flow. :lol:

ollie?":3phvsne0 said:
simangus23":3phvsne0 said:
3/4 Sim1/4 angus

simangus23
  • how can one man buy 20% of all the feeder cattle in the U.S.
?
its simple you just make a figure up...some will buy it. and then there are buzz killers like you who smell a rat. ;-)

thats simple -- what is hard-- is I know another guy that supplies all the hamburger for wal-mart in the Lower 48 -- but I bet his job is getting easier with all these Low quality grading Limmys and Brangus available in Texas, but I am purdy sure he knows this already.

simangus23":2gj9eysa said:
thats simple -- what is hard-- is I know another guy that supplies all the hamburger for wal-mart in the Lower 48 -- but I bet his job is getting easier with all these Low quality grading Limmys and Brangus available in Texas, but I am purdy sure he knows this already.

Guess I will have to call my executive friends at Wal Mart and see if this is true. :roll: :roll:

Latest posts