Bull's got loose stool

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a granular antacid or antidiareah powder I could mix with his feed to tighten him up. He looks like he feels good and strong, just has the sh#ts.
Thanks in advance

Its just grasss hay and maybe 12 lbs of corn screenings. He came pretty loose off pasture, I brought him to the vet and he thought perhaps he picked up some hardware, gave him a magnet, antibiotics and long acting antacids. Tightened up right away and now is loose. much better then what he was before i brought him in but still loose. I'm just looking for a granular antacid and antibotic i could put in his feed rather then load him and bring him back to the farm to the chute.
thanks

Knock off the corn screenings and see if that doesn;t help.

Tried that, didnt make any difference. I've been giving him screening to help with the -12F temps.
Is there a granular antibiotic/antacid.

You cn mix about 4 oz. of plain ol' Arm and Hammer baking soda into the screenings but you'll need to do it everyday. Two or three ounces of yeast wouldn't hurt anything. Split the feeding into 2 feedings per day if you're not already doing it and make sure he eats plenty of hay.

Then figure out what's wrong with him. A bovine on hay shouldn't be doing that if he's getting enough hay and not too much protein. Can't imagine you can feed him baking soda his whole life.

angus9259":3cd7v3r9 said:
Then figure out what's wrong with him. A bovine on hay shouldn't be doing that if he's getting enough hay and not too much protein. Can't imagine you can feed him baking soda his whole life.
I've been eating Rolaids mos of my adult life :frowns: ...same thing. You can buy feed with sodium bicarb already included if you like. Low quality hay and corn would not be a protein overload but could be a starch overload if he's not eating enough roughage.

TexasBred":33pjnc8w said:
I've been eating Rolaids mos of my adult life :frowns: ...

But we can't take you to the salebarn and move on to an easier human that doesn't require rolaids their whole life.

angus9259":n2b9xj4s said:
TexasBred":n2b9xj4s said:
I've been eating Rolaids mos of my adult life :frowns: ...

But we can't take you to the salebarn and move on to an easier human that doesn't require rolaids their whole life.
Well that's true too...and IF you could once they gutted me I wouldn't bone out much meat either. Oh well...hand me another plate of enchiladas and another Rolaid. ;-)

We had a bull that was always loose, sent in manure samples and it showed coccidiosis. Could not ever clear him up. Last summer, we threw him out on some big bluestem and he firmed up in two days. Looked like an elephant had lived out there. You might want to try some bluestem hay or prairie hay. Bison always have hard turds!

Latest posts