Bulls Gone Wrong!

Help Support CattleToday:

charlie01

Reaction score
Today I was moving some cows and calves and a bull closer to the yards for tagging and to take the bulls out. All was good cattle were almost threw the gate, when over the hill came running the other bull that was down the other end of the neighboring paddock. He ran alone with the cows on the other side of the fence not paying much attention to the other bull. Then when it came to the gate the fence and gate forming an L shape.

Cows and calves once threw the gate run up the hill to the tree and the other bull stayed there with the other bull, they both started to lean on the fence, and i wasn't going to get them away from each other (one got pissed off with me so i was staying away. So they didn't stuff the fence i opened the other gate and let them run in together, which was a huge mistake! lol
They both ran at each other one ran straight into the fence breaking the barbed wire. and then afterwards the fences was just gone wire snapped. Luckily they ran out the gate and the paddock with the cows. No way of stopping them they fought!

Luckily checking them in the afternoon i found one with his cows that he was with and the other one with his so i moved him back in with his cows with cuts but no back ones thank god!!

this has happened at least once when joining and taking the bulls off, but it is bound to happen.

What have your experiences with bulls been?

I detest bulls. We have 7 of them at the moment....Right now they are all pastured together, away from any cows, and they really aren't much of a problem. Had one last summer, as soon as he came home caused problems. 160 acre, cross fenced pasture and he destroyed every interior barbed wire fence that there was.

Bulls are fun, they:
Wreck fences
Wreck each other
Dig holes in the ground, they are worse than badgers....
Can turn into monsters around humans at the slightest notion.

yep, here's one from two minutes ago... mind you, it might not have been the bulls that did it.

Took the bulls out of the herd a few days ago and put them with a few dry cows to clean up around the place, I put them out on the roadside this morning but next time I looked towards the house I saw 6 fat animals grazing the lush regrowth in the paddock. Someone had rubbed the latch open. So I got them back, shut them in beside the water trough again. Came back later for lunch and was reading Cattle Today when I heard a munching noise a few feet away.
And I was *positive* I'd shut the garden gate behind me.
I wanted them to graze down the lawn anyway, since it was too wet to mow last week. Just went out to put strings around the flower beds... none of them had found my sweetcorn and peas yet.

Them critters are in BIG trouble.
All still grazing placidly on the lawn when I came back from down the farm... but in the meantime someone had gone back out to the water trough, smashed the latch on the gate into the vegetable garden and eaten all the early planted sweetcorn and interplanted peas (and most of the cauliflower, cabbages, radishes and turnips).
Now all I've got is the late planted sweetcorn in the dahlia bed.

charlie01":1uq7ufqn said:
What have your experiences with bulls been?

I hate them, but they are a necessary evil if you want calves. They are trouble with a capital "T", and there is no telling when or where that trouble will turn up. They are also dangerous, and can turn on you at any moment it takes their fancy. They tear up fences, waterers, gates, trailers, and anything else that gets in their way if they are in the mood. Don't trust one, never turn your back on one and, above all else, never make a pet out of one!!!!

bulls are bulls. I have had to rebuild 200 yards of 4 strand fence because of bull fights, had any kind of bull injuries you can think of, had neighbors crap bulls that wouldn't leave my cows alone. I like em though. Have 10 on the place for the winter, will be 15 or so before breeding. I have found that if you give them plenty of acres and feed em with plenty of space around them they tend to behave decently.

Latest posts