Bulls for Breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

schapfarms

Reaction score
What breed of bull would you use in a farm program with black angus, limousine, and charlois cows to get the best calves for salebarn potential?

here, i'd use brangus for salebarn potential.
there, i'd use angus or hereford.

what would you think of beefmaster, my dad has been looking at them for awhile and likes them. I was thinking about simmental but they have a little too much bone, from what ive heard, for what we want.

i would recommend beefmasters ( i have beefmasters) but they wont do the best at the salebarn. you may have heavier calves to sell though. Beefmaster females are what you benefit the most from (keeping or selling them). beefmasters cross very well with all the breeds you mentioned. i have examples if you want pics. you have enough continental influence with the limousin and charolais. i'd definitely go with a british or american breed. angus (either color), hereford, brangus, beefmaster, any of these will cross well.

Cross them with Simmental! The best cross is red angus/simmental cows cross limousin! They produce some of the best calves we have ever raised!

In MO with the dock at most salebarns for any ear, Ild stay clear of Brangus, Beefmaster, Gerts or any of the other eared breeds. Simmenthal or Gelbvieh would work.

dun

Beefy":3l69ix58 said:
do high percentage continentals do well at missouri salebarns?

Depends on the barn. Some have a real clientel for continentals, others seem to be more british, others like everything but Herefords. But I haven't been to a regular wekly sale ina good while. That changes saturday when our sale barn reopens after being burnd out 2 years ago.

dun

schapfarms":2xwq9fgt said:
What breed of bull would you use in a farm program with black angus, limousine, and charlois cows to get the best calves for salebarn potential?

Black calves is what is bringing the money at the sale I would go with Brangus, Angus or a Black Simmental. Not to run you down SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GREY but I dont think Murray Gray Bull would do better than the breeds I listen. Not to offend anyone my opinoin.

Well in your instance, I'd say hereford...

black, black baldie and them "gold" colored calves sell well in MO.... plus you need an english breed for hybrid vigor in your continentals....

I'm not sure if the brangus is being docked that much around here as I'm seeing more and more brangus cross and brangus cows in pastures.

Latest posts