Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Interesting photo series, certainly, but that is my personal idea of a barnyard nightmare! (Heck, I don't even like it when the bantam roosters get to fighting...tried spraying them with a hose once and they just kept on going....)
Gale

How many cows have you honestly sold for 2500 dollars? You are playing with fire by having that bull mess with your black one. Do you raise cattle for money or for enjoyment. If you are doing it for money I would not mess with the horns. Highlanders are more of a novelty than anything else. I have two myself( sister in laws pets). They go nowhere near the rest of the herd because fear the damage they will cause. When she purchased them they wanted 800 a piece, but we got two for that price. They are registered. What does that tell you about their marketability.

What are Highlanders or what ever you call them really used for. They seem to me like what I would call Fad cattle. One destined never to find its niche.

Scotty

Highlanders make a nice cross. Up here where its real cold in the winter, all that extra hair insulates them and makes them comparatively easy keeping. They also finish very well on grass. The meat is finer textured and leaner than other beef (less fat because of the thick hair coat) and very tender. This beef can earn a pretty good premium if marketed properly. They also have a very gentle disposition compared to alot of other breeds. Compared to other breeds, they don't do real well at the sale barn. They don't grow very fast but as I said, if you can market it as premium beef, you can make money on them.

Ill take your word on the tender beef aspect. I would like to see what one of those hairballs really taste like but the sister in law won't let me. It's a shame they take up 4 acres of pasture that the rest of the herd could use.

Cattle Rack Rancher you are correct in your statements about Scottish Highland Cattle. They finish well on grass, have very tender flavorful meat, good temprements if they are handled, easy calving, good cold tolerance, and have a family size premium Carcass. I sell strictly beef so I dont have to worry about losing money at the sale yards. This year in the pacific North West there are very few bred cows for sale for less than $2000 and you cant even find bred heifers. The meat has less fat and cholesteral than low fat chicken, buffalo, and longhorn.

We have increadibly cold windy winters and highlands cope very well as apposed to my other british breeds and my jersey.

I raise beef for my income and I sell both highland and british cross beef locally and on the coast(western washington). Been doing it for 5 years now and every year i have made enough money to pay for the hay for the rest of the cattle and still buy additional steers in the spring. I also raise pork and sell it too.

Shelby

We have increadibly cold windy winters and highlands cope very well as apposed to my other british breeds and my jersey.

You think so? Come to Manitoba some time in early February, you'll think you live in the tropics. Where you live is where Manitobans go for a winter vacation to get out of the cold. :lol:

PLR":34zpneo6 said:
Which of these two bulls do you like the looks of better? The black one is a 3 year old Orphan and the White one is a 4.5 year old Reg. Highland.

Thanks,

Shelby

BULL%20FIGHT2.JPG

BULL%20FIGHT4.JPG

hope the links work

That has to the pooriest and ugliest excuse of a bovine I have ever seen(blonde one)

http://www.chcs.ca/exbreed.htm Opinons on the cow/ calf . calf I believe is Saler. cow Hereford/Highland

.........................................................................................................

PLR.........The meat has less fat and cholesteral than low fat chicken, buffalo, and longhorn.

DO YOU HAVE A WEBSITE TO CONFIRM THIS< I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE DATA

We have increadibly cold windy winters and highlands cope very well as apposed to my other british breeds and my jersey

IS IT ALSO WET AND COLD>

Not real sure how you market your beef but if you're making $'s then you're doing the right things. When my Father retired he decided he wanted to try some Highlands, and bought a few. You're right they are very docile, but I never trust horns! I AI'd them for him and they calved easy, with VERY low birth weight. I moved them into the feed lot and watched their ADG weekly. I don't have the exact numbers here right now but as I remember it would take 700 plus days to bring them to harvest. Long story short, Dad moved them to the freezer. Fact was they were tender, not much fat or marbling. Didn't have that pretty red color, a bit more pale in color. Taste was ok, but not what I (personally) would pay a premium for. As for which bull I'd pick... being you're not looking to registered cattle, I'd go black. He has more body mass and structure. The folks that said if you shaved the white one you'd be suprised are correct. Put the white one in a chute and feel his sides and rear hips, then do the same with the black bull. See which one feels more beefy. Additionally watch the calvine ease of the black bull. While the Highlands calve easy, it may be due in a large part to the VERY low birth weight, and smallish calf shape. IMHO go with what feels right to you and keep your neck above water!

Latest posts