Bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
Scenario: You have an all-around solid-made red angus female. No glaring faults, but nothing really exceptional about her. Put together right.... a nice solid cow, good udder, travels well, say 1100lbs or so, moderate frame, good muscling, etc... The type of cow that really doesn't need anything fixed. If she has a heifer, you would like to show it, and definantly keep it. If she has a bull, you will steer it and sell it as a show steer or across the scales.

Question: What bull do you A.I. her to? You don't care about color, but solid black is not your favorite.

Pretty broad answer possibility, but I would go with a Club Bull. Compare her epds and pros/cons and then select the bull with the best match to her.

Moocow11":3oqqcqjq said:
so you want some eye appeal and muscle??

Yes and yes.

farmwife":3oqqcqjq said:
Pretty broad answer possibility, but I would go with a Club Bull. Compare her epds and pros/cons and then select the bull with the best match to her.

I guess I should have been a little more specific. I was thinking a Club Bull. Like which bull, specifically, have you seen work well. Which bull(s) are best at improving cows, and have daughters that do well in shows and as producers.

Ryan":rskdp9hb said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":rskdp9hb said:
Me personally I would search around for a good red Gelbvieh or Balancer bull to breed her to. Here is a popular red gelbvieh bull that I have seen some calves out of and they all were big and stout.

http://www.bullbarn.com/gelbepd.asp?ID=36

Thats a good looking bull. I like him.
you can get way better then him. might you have pictuers of the cow

I have always really liked heatwave calves. He sires some really nice show calves. I also like Heat seeker. We have a heat seeker cow that is out of an angus cow and she was an excellent show heifer and a wonderfull cow that milks real well.

Ryan":1e0s80n0 said:
Moocow11":1e0s80n0 said:
so you want some eye appeal and muscle??

Yes and yes.

farmwife":1e0s80n0 said:

I guess I should have been a little more specific. I was thinking a Club Bull. Like which bull, specifically, have you seen work well. Which bull(s) are best at improving cows, and have daughters that do well in shows and as producers.

Can't help you in the clubby dept. We do use AI, but not the club calf type. One of the bulls that's had a real impact on the Hereford show type cattle is pure gold. He throws some super thick calves that perform quite well in the ring and in the pasture.

Well you said you didn't really like black so what about these.No order just going through the Lautner book. These are the one's I like that are NOT black. Red Headed Stepchild looks like he's deep got the width and the hair and the meat. White Chocolate is a nice looking one plus he's a smokey, got to love that.Then theres Alias a Charolais Cross out of White Chocolate. The heifers out of this bull look really good.Theres also RED Hot there have been some really good calves out of him that have sold for a lot. And then one of my Favorits is Cherry Bomb. Then if you are ok with black I think a lot of Ace in the Hole. And my favorit Black bull right now is BLUE BLOOD from sullivan farms. And you can't go wrong with Ali. And if you wan't $$$ there's always Heat Wave. ;-)

Maineshowgirl":3de19elv said:
Well you said you didn't really like black so what about these.No order just going through the Lautner book. These are the one's I like that are NOT black. Red Headed Stepchild looks like he's deep got the width and the hair and the meat. White Chocolate is a nice looking one plus he's a smokey, got to love that.Then theres Alias a Charolais Cross out of White Chocolate. The heifers out of this bull look really good.Theres also RED Hot there have been some really good calves out of him that have sold for a lot. And then one of my Favorits is Cherry Bomb. Then if you are ok with black I think a lot of Ace in the Hole. And my favorit Black bull right now is BLUE BLOOD from sullivan farms. And you can't go wrong with Ali. And if you wan't $$$ there's always Heat Wave. ;-)
actaully white chocolate is out of alias. and cherry bomb will be reducing your frame size and do not use him on heifers. i am really liking Red hot. but agian not for heifers. and i have noticed heatwaves arent selling as high any more. but i would say Red Hot on the red angus cow but with out seeing some pics i couldnt tell you for sure

Maineshowgirl":2ylwo25f said:

Red Headed Stepchild- Midget

White Chocolate-out of Alias and not as good

Alias- good, but he can booger up the front ends

Cherry Bomb- Decent calves, might make them a little too straight, and he is kinda small

Blue Blood- Don't get me started

Heatwave- Too many cripples

Soo..after I complained and found faults on those bulls, I have to say that they are not bad bulls, but I think there are some better ones. I would breed her to a good Shorthorn and get a Durham Red. Since this is hypothetical, can we use any bull we want? If so, I say Sonny. If not, then it get's harder. Jake's Proud Jazz is a really good option for heifers, and so is Gold Rush. Red Vision is crossing really well with Red Angus and you can't get a better pedigree for show cattle (Trump x Double Vision). And finally, I say Perfect Timing. He is a full sib to X Ray, but defect free, and is a total truck. He make's them thick, sound, and hairy.

screw ali i hate that bull you can find better then him. an di havent seen many calves out of jakes pround jazz but i dont reall ylike the look of him but i do like his pedigree

Moocow11":25czhbhb said:
screw ali i hate that bull you can find better then him. an di havent seen many calves out of jakes pround jazz but i dont reall ylike the look of him but i do like his pedigree
why?

he is so ugly. and he pass's that head on to all of his calves(well at least form what i have seen)

KNERSIE":3uhrrsxo said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":3uhrrsxo said:
Me personally I would search around for a good red Gelbvieh or Balancer bull to breed her to. Here is a popular red gelbvieh bull that I have seen some calves out of and they all were big and stout.

http://www.bullbarn.com/gelbepd.asp?ID=36

That bull is a very tall frame 6.6!

I noticed that too. I like seeing pictures of cattle like that with people behind them, your lucky if you can even see heads. Thats alot of bull.

I would try anything else before going to a clubby sire too much genetic problems PHA and TH if you are thinking of keeping a hfr calf. Old Freedom kinda dominates the Gv Show bloodlines in the US. I would suggest trying some other Gv bloodlines a bull in canada SLC masterplan i have seen rip calves even got one myself that will be on the road this fall. I will try to get a good photo to post. As far as frame 6.5 being too big there has to be some performance for feedlot cattle. That is where this all ends guys keep your eyes on the reality. I also have some good red reality sim cross commercial calves he might work well too.