bull with cracked hoof

Help Support CattleToday:

herfdog

Reaction score
I have a bull that has a cracked hoof. Has anyone had it, if so did the hoof heal?
Do you think this can be taken care of some how?
I just noticed him limping today.
19Wfoot006.jpg

19Wfoot009.jpg

19Wfoot007.jpg

Had two heifers with the same problem. Vet trimmed the broken part off and wrapped the hooves with a bandage, then poured what looked like betadine on the bandage. Took them home and put them in the calf lot. After a few days I wrapped the bandage with duct tap to make the bandage last longer. Takes about two weeks for the hoof to toughen up. Good luck with yours.

as said your vet will have to treat that prob an wrapp the foot.an youll need to keep him penned in the corral till he heals up.

You can also try a good hoof trimmer. They can trim it and block it, should be a good as new in a couple of weeks.

I had a bull that cracked his hoof. I put him by himself on dry ground and he healed just fine in 3 or so weeks. Didn't do any trimming or anything. He could hardly put any pressure on it, but by himself, he layued around a lot and it healed.

CCRanch":1ewqvan5 said:
I had a bull that cracked his hoof. I put him by himself on dry ground and he healed just fine in 3 or so weeks. Didn't do any trimming or anything. He could hardly put any pressure on it, but by himself, he layued around a lot and it healed.
I did the same about a month ago when mine got a crack. Luckly I won't need him till november. I also got some of the hoof rot med. the squirt on stuff and squirted that on for a couple days to keep it clean ,and not get infected, and he stated walking better. Now he still has a open spot, but it's growing back and he is walking fine.
I've heard this happen a lot this year. Might be the wet then super dry weather makes them crack like concert.

Latest posts