Bull Turns Two

Help Support CattleToday:

fitz

Reaction score
Put this little Bull with cows around Thanksgiving for his first go. I left him with them until last Sunday. He turned two years old in Feb. Won't use him again until last of May. Talk about an easy life. Only doing 12 - 15 cows per visit it's like he's on vacation year round.

DSC00704.JPG

fitz

Yes, he has a good life! His belly shows it! :D The only thing he would like now is a girl or two per month, to keep in practice.......He's just sayin. :nod:

Wow, if he passes that thickness on to his offspring you need to introduce him to more cows..

Fitz,

Great looking bull! Looks like he didn't lose much if any body condition score over the winter. Hope he passes those same traits over to his progeny!

Kyle

Thanks, but he just isn't growing out like I had hoped. Maybe the "terrible two's". He sprained/twisted a hock early winter and had a pretty hard time with it. That in itself may present future problems. Good thing is they make 'em everyday.
Same bull at approx. 15 months:

DSC00601.JPG

DSC00596.JPG

fitz

The bull you replaced for this one set a pretty high standard as I recall.
But you're right.
They haven't quit making them.

tnwalkingred":tr53cmko said:
Fitz,

Are you wanting calves with a higher frame score than what you think this bull will pass on to his progeny?

Kyle

Well he was only a 5.25 as a yearling. I wasn't too concerned with that as I have some pretty big simmental cows. I've been working towards a more moderate frame cow anyway.
His numbers looked good to me as my main concern was I have 15, maybe 16 heifers I've held over from my last bull. So we'll see.

fitz

Thats no big deal, most of my cows are 1250 as culls (8 years old) and have been in the feedlot for 30 days. They are about a 3-5 frame with maybe 2 cows being 6's. Out of 60 cows. Buying 5 frame bulls to increase cow size and growth.

What kind of feed was he getting in that first pic? That's deep ribbed for such a young bull imo. Good looking -- just deeeeep. ;)

southernblues":1hs1e7id said:
What kind of feed was he getting in that first pic? That's deep ribbed for such a young bull imo. Good looking -- just deeeeep. ;)

He was having a pretty rough time as I mentioned with that hock. Started falling off. It was bitter cold so I would single him out from the cows and give him 3 gal. of 13% pellets with crushed aspirin. He continued to get the pellets for approx. a month. But as I read on here, I find they probably weren't doing him any good. It did help with getting the aspirin in him.

fitz

Latest posts