Bull Selection

Help Support CattleToday:

ABrauny

Reaction score
So I'm looking for a Hereford bull to AI or naturally our Red Angus bred heifers that we purchased from Mushrushes for this upcoming breeding season. Ideally I would like the bull to produce females that are thick, have lots of rib, and mature between 1000-1300 lbs. The best heifers would remain as the replacements and the rest will be fed out. I was thinking Feltons Legend 242 if I AI them. Thoughts?

ABrauny":33gi5tjy said:
So I'm looking for a Hereford bull to AI or naturally our Red Angus bred heifers that we purchased from Mushrushes for this upcoming breeding season. Ideally I would like the bull to produce females that are thick, have lots of rib, and mature between 1000-1300 lbs. The best heifers would remain as the replacements and the rest will be fed out. I was thinking Feltons Legend 242 if I AI them. Thoughts?

ABrauny-

Invariably, any thoughts that I would entertain concerning mating protocols with any breed, or combination of breeds (cross-breeding agendas), would include mandatory examination of the Phenotype, Genotype and Functional traits of BOTH females and sires involved in the matings. Your requirements mentioned are optimal, as far as they go. But in today's mating practices there are so many different traits and characteristics to consider in any combination of individual animals that their entire genetic profile must be given strong consideration, along with their DNA, determined by genomic enhanced EPD's, so as to, hopefully, eliminate any negative occurrances in the mating combinations.

You stated that you wished to retain the "best" heifers for replacements. That is optimal for improving your herd quality on a continuing basis - HOWEVER - "best" is as "best" does, and "best" is determined by scientifically utilizing the tools that are available to us at any given time. I am sure that "Felton's Legend 242" has genetic qualities that are exceptional, but for those qualities to be operative in your particular genetic pool they must "NICK" with the heifers AND your future goals. That process will save you perhaps ten years of attempting to correct inadvertant breeding errors! :bang: :deadhorse:

DOC HARRIS

There are great breeders all over the united states, it depends on if you would prefer to buy at auction or through private treaty.

It really depends on the type of bloodlines you are looking for. I personally would look for something with some progress (arguably the best 242 son) in him. I think he does an incredible job of doing what you are looking for. We used a progress son, as well as have progress cows in herd. They can get a little smaller framed if over linebred, however, the ones that i have are deep, soggy, big hipped, and beautifully uddered. We will have bulls, but I am a ways from you.

I would prefer to buy a bull private treaty, but I'll buy one at an auction if it would compliment my heifers well. I had a registered Hereford heifer that was out of Huth Stacked Deck that was AIed to Progress but she didn't conceive. If I could I would like to find a Progress son within Wisconsin or nearby in Illinois, Iowa, or Minnesota. Oakcreek about where are you located and might you have a Progress son for sale coming up?

DOC HARRIS":21zh2pgn said:
ABrauny":21zh2pgn said:

ABrauny-

Invariably, any thoughts that I would entertain concerning mating protocols with any breed, or combination of breeds (cross-breeding agendas), would include mandatory examination of the Phenotype, Genotype and Functional traits of BOTH females and sires involved in the matings. Your requirements mentioned are optimal, as far as they go. But in today's mating practices there are so many different traits and characteristics to consider in any combination of individual animals that their entire genetic profile must be given strong consideration, along with their DNA, determined by genomic enhanced EPD's, so as to, hopefully, eliminate any negative occurrances in the mating combinations.

You stated that you wished to retain the "best" heifers for replacements. That is optimal for improving your herd quality on a continuing basis - HOWEVER - "best" is as "best" does, and "best" is determined by scientifically utilizing the tools that are available to us at any given time. I am sure that "Felton's Legend 242" has genetic qualities that are exceptional, but for those qualities to be operative in your particular genetic pool they must "NICK" with the heifers AND your future goals. That process will save you perhaps ten years of attempting to correct inadvertant breeding errors! :bang: :deadhorse:

DOC HARRIS

Are you serious, was all this really necessary, the guy just wants to make baldies.

Scroote":bbfv9fss said:
DOC HARRIS":bbfv9fss said:
ABrauny":bbfv9fss said:

ABrauny-

DOC HARRIS

Are you serious, was all this really necessary, the guy just wants to make baldies.

Scroote, I didn't really give Doc any reason to think that I was considering genomics and EPDs in the bull selection process though I definitely am. He just wants to make I have all my bases covered. I don't just want to make baldies. I want to make some of the best baldies.

Hey bud, you wanna enter that horse race have at it, best of luck. Just make you take advice from an actual cattle owner.

I don't see anything about what doc said that is incorrect. He doesn't have cattle, big deal. What he said is spot on. As a commercial producer can i afford to gene test all of my breeding females, no. Can I afford to purchase a gene tested bull? The answer is yes. He's just being helpful, no reason to tie yourself in knots.

We bred some heifers to WS King Ten 8198 this two years ago and am very impressed with the replacements out of him. Have seen some purebred herfs out of him that have tons of rib and look very good.

Latest posts