Bull Selection

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod

Reaction score
Need to add 2 more bulls to commercial herd of mid framed mixed cows(some with a little ear influence). Considering charolias but kind of stuck on black, already running angus and brangus, just want to hear opinons on fast growing sires.

Rod":3aic0jp4 said:
Need to add 2 more bulls to commercial herd of mid framed mixed cows(some with a little ear influence). Considering charolias but kind of stuck on black, already running angus and brangus, just want to hear opinons on fast growing sires.

Rod, go to page three of this board (Breeds Boards) The is a post called "Should I switch from Charolais Bulls" which references switching from Charolais to Angus. It may be of some help.

How many calves have these cows had. are they a good percentage british (angus, hereford, shorthorn) or do they have some continental breeding in them? brangus type cows bred to charolais bulls is hard to beat. same goes for angus if they can handle having the calf.

I agree with Beefy, it's hard to beat a Char bull on brangus cows, in my area anyway. Of course there are many different types of Char bulls, as there are in any breed. Finding the right ones is the trick, whatever breed you decide on.

My commercial herd consists of mainly 4-7 year olds, solid reds, tans, blacks,and few dirty grays.

Rod":u3nbf0fg said:
My commercial herd consists of mainly 4-7 year olds, solid reds, tans, blacks,and few dirty grays.
Rod, I think you'll really like the growth you will get from the Chars. I know that you'll love the calves out of your red cows and your blacks. The tan and gray cows might be a problem with bright white calves, though. Expect a little discount on them, but they might be enough heavier that you could stand it and still come out ahead.

Try another Angus bull. Lots of breeders breed for growth and muscle. Jsut because you want a change in type of calve soes not necessarily mean a change in breed.

Scotty

Scotty":1hp63p4x said:
Try another Angus bull. Lots of breeders breed for growth and muscle. Jsut because you want a change in type of calve soes not necessarily mean a change in breed.

Scotty
Scotty's right. There is many Angus breeders that produce top quality Angus bulls that will out perform bulls of about any other breed.

I guess one question that hasn't been asked is " Are you simply looking for pounds throught the austion mart in the fall of are you feeding the calves yourself."

Scott makes a very good point, but another good point is that there are "fast growing sires" in a lot more breeds than Charlais and Angus.

Had a calf two years ago show on his 2 year old 1266 pound momma at Agribition in Regina Saskatchewan. He was just over 10 months old and weighed 1008. Weighed by the show staff mind you. One of those overlooked breeds - Galloway - ;-)

CrossPair.jpg

rkaiser":1blm41w0 said:
I guess one question that hasn't been asked is " Are you simply looking for pounds throught the austion mart in the fall of are you feeding the calves yourself."

Scott makes a very good point, but another good point is that there are "fast growing sires" in a lot more breeds than Charlais and Angus.

Had a calf two years ago show on his 2 year old 1266 pound momma at Agribition in Regina Saskatchewan. He was just over 10 months old and weighed 1008. Weighed by the show staff mind you. One of those overlooked breeds - Galloway - ;-)

You have very NICE cattle in the picture and I do agree with the point; but there are very few Galloway breeders that I am aware of in the SOutheast and the American association's website
http://www.americangalloway.com/
either won't work with my browser or has dead links including the breeder's list. Sometimes breeds are minor because they don't have good cattle; but most of the time it is because they do not have the leadership or the organization to make that jump from hobby cattle to major players in the minds of commercial cattlemen.

Rod,

I'm from the same area & I have to say that I don't think you can go wrong with what we call the "dark hided" charolais calves. I am continually impressed with the way they look & the way they grow. Most of our cows are angus +.

I know I keep saying this and I don't have any of these but my dad uses a black Gelbvieh bull on his Char and Beefmaster cows and he gets these big, black calves with little or no ear. They bring a premium price at the barn. He also has a few Beefalo cows, mostly red or black. His calves all come out alike except for a smoky one every once in awhile, from a Charolais cow. Those things grow like weeds.

Rod":1w2lo1iv said:

If it black you want,try a black or a brown Murray Grey Bull! ;-) :cboy: