Bull selection

Help Support CattleToday:

sske

Reaction score
What are some of your personal preferences for red or black angus sires to retain bulls out of? I've got a nice purebred black angus cow that I would like to breed to possibly retain a bull from she's moderate in frame, great bag, very fertile, the traits I would like to capitalize on in my small herd. I will be very particular when it comes to deciding if he will make the cut or not, and I'm looking for opinions on a good bull to use that will provide calving ease, low birth weight, good carcass quality, milk and docility. He will eventually be crossed on heifers and a commercial herd, uniformity in color on the calves is not a huge concern as most will be sold private treaty or fed out and sold for butcher.
Thank you, Scott

Hoover Dam calves have been good here, and have also kept back a son, that some of this years calves were by.

My only advice at this point is to beware of barn blindness. Barn blindness happens easily and hard to see. Go with the bull of your choice after complete research and then ask for a non bias eye to help access the animal. I don't know angus or I would make a bull selection choice.

That's one reason why I came here to ask for more advice and opinions. I would even be open to crossing her to a Sim or lim or other bull if that's recommended and if I can find a bull that will compliment her, and have the potential to produce a bull calf that could eventually produce quality offspring on an Angus/ angus cross herd. And like I said the calf, if I even get a bull calf will have to be worthy of staying a bull. I would rather cut him than keep a bad bull.
Thank you

Agree on hoover dam. Another option is Connealy comrade at select sires. Calving ease, docile, good carcass. Either bull would be good and both are proven.

Thank you, I definitely plan to look into hoover dam, and Connealy comrade. When it comes to crossing does anyone have any recommendations of bulls to use that have potential to produce a bull calf that would be a keeper with the traits I mentioned in one of my previous comments, that would also add hybrid vigor? I've got time to decide as she's already bred so she will be getting AI'd next summer. I'm just wanting to get everything sorted out before hand.
Thank you for your input

Son of Butch":27ixyhfb said:
Sure Bet and Goldmine would be 2 simmental sires I would consider from ABS.
Do you know if ABS is selling sexed male semen for either of them?

Does anyone have any good or bad feedback about using the limousin bull justice on her? Would a bull calf by him be worth possibly keeping epd wise if he's a nice enough individual?

sske":npb1sqo1 said:
Does anyone have any good or bad feedback about using the limousin bull justice on her? Would a bull calf by him be worth possibly keeping epd wise if he's a nice enough individual?
Heck I'd use him :2cents: I plan on using him next spring.

sske":2r5fgapm said:
As far as the potential calf's epds, that would also depend on its dam. The bull can have great numbers, but if the cow doesn't, the calf's will be marginal. Better to use multi trait selection and look at the total package. :2cents:

Latest posts