Bull recall by seller for semen use?

Help Support CattleToday:

cypress....,

It is the seller's responsibility to transport the bull for collection. Distance from your place doesn't matter to you from an expense standpoint. I believe you will find a collection facility near you. The collection facility may or may not be the marketing arm for the semen. Many agriculture U's collect semen.

As owner I would not allow a bull of mine to be transported during cold weather unless special transport arrangments are in place. Such as a rigid closed trailer. Whipping animals thru the cold air can be a contributing factor for shipping fever/pneumonia,etc. Remember you are the owner and have full possession. Unreasonable refusal would no doubt find you in default of the agreement.

The number of collections and how often can only be thought about but hardly estimated. In most agreements you receive 1/2,1/3 of the semen sale proceeds/use. It is in your interest to cooperate in collection and the sale of semen. It would be a win win situation if the bull stayed at collection. I would love to have that problem and the solution would be to buy another good one from the proceeds. :D

Most all agreements are different in detail and should be carefully reviewed.

This should not be a reason for not buying a good genetic bull.

Cypress,
We own two 1/2 interest full possession bulls and I wish they would come get them and collect from them. The first reason is it shows that we did an acceptable job in selecting a bull for a reasonable amount of money? (I guess someone could debate reasonable) Secondly you could see how your bull progeny performs in a different environment. You could then use this information to change part of your program (even if you are a commercial guy like me). I don't see any reason not to buy a bull just cause he is not full interest full possession.

Just to add the third reason its nice to see them be collected: they eat on someone else's dime for a month :D

I was thinking with most of the Bulls selling Full Possession and retaining 1/3 semen interest. You usually have total control over the bull, but if for some reason you sale semen on this bull the seller would be due 1/3 of this. But you can collect semen for your self use, but only once the bull's semen becomes for sale does it matter. And with full possession you control things.

But I am sure they can write in any thing the want in the contract you sign with them.

Semen in the tank is insurance in my opinion. I sleep eaiser at night knowing that I won't loose my entire investment if the bull is rendered usless for some reason. And if I can peddel a few straws here and there...that works too.

I was at a sale recently and the seller sold 1/2 interest full possesion of a bull and explained to everyone that at the time you (meaning buyer) felt that the bull was of no use they came and got him or looked at him and got 1/2 the check from sale barn. I DONT like that idea. You feed and take care of him for say 6 years and then they get 1/2 of what he brings at sale barn? I dont think so. Didnt ask what happens if he was stuck buy lightening or hit by a car or any other accident. JHH

well,
in theory if they say you are buying 1/2 interest, they still own 1/2 of the cow. no matter how much you drove a car, if you owned half of it and sold, you would have to give the other guy his share.

you are feeding and caring for him while owning half of him, but you are also able to use him as a herd sire/cleanup bull and the owner of the other half isnt able to do that. i think its fair.

if you want to own all of it, offer them double what your bid ended up being. :eek: :roll:

Aero":uaoitlei said:
well,
in theory if they say you are buying 1/2 interest, they still own 1/2 of the cow. no matter how much you drove a car, if you owned half of it and sold, you would have to give the other guy his share.

you are feeding and caring for him while owning half of him, but you are also able to use him as a herd sire/cleanup bull and the owner of the other half isnt able to do that. i think its fair.

if you want to own all of it, offer them double what your bid ended up being. :eek: :roll:

I wasn't bidding on the bull but just hadn't thought about doing things that way. I guess it's fair but I would'nt be the one buying under those conditions. I think the semen interest thing is ok but I dont like the other deal. JMO JHH

Latest posts