Bull Proof Mineral Feeder ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have an 18 month old bull who is becoming a pest. One of his favorite things is to attack portable mineral feeders. He will flip small ones and paw in big low ones. Any construction tips ?

I use the ones on the ground with the big round rubber pad that they lift up to access the salt / mineral. Have you tried one of those?

Ground feeder mounted to a wheel loader tire. Even my 2700 lb big guy said it was too much and that was one of his favorite pastimes.

Aaron":3t7pba1d said:
Ground feeder mounted to a wheel loader tire. Even my 2700 lb big guy said it was too much and that was one of his favorite pastimes.
:shock: Now that would be something to see.

Rafter S":n27dq3q1 said:
I use the ones on the ground with the big round rubber pad that they lift up to access the salt / mineral. Have you tried one of those?

Helps a bit. My older rubber pad can be flipped back and then he paws in a compartment. More work for him, but then he has all day.

I've seen a lot of them that claim to be bull proof. Never have found one yet. The closest I've come is one of those mineral shed type deals on skids with boards at ground level sticking out to the sides 5 feet per side on both ends. He hasn;t managed to destroy or flip it over since I made it, 5 months or so. The barrel type won;t work with him because he insists on wearing it as a hat and dumps the minerals.

Ebenezer":4knio09k said:
"Bull Proof Mineral Feeder" is just a phrase like "We're #1" and "It always rains after a dry spell".
Yeah, they're only bull proof while they're in the store.

Stocker Steve":3iee6vb2 said:
I have an 18 month old bull who is becoming a pest. One of his favorite things is to attack portable mineral feeders. He will flip small ones and paw in big low ones. Any construction tips ?
What kind of feeder are you using currently?

I took a plastic barrel one that chemicals come in and cut a cow size hole in the side left the top on it and stuck it in a 24 inch semi tire that I also got free, then drilled some half inch holes in the base and put some bolts about 6 to 8 inches long that go through into the area between the rims that allow the whole thing to tilt and tip but not tip the whole mineral feeder over. I have seen my bull do his thing with it and no damage to it what so ever. There ain't a bull on the planet that can hurt it or even spill it for that matter, I am amazed how well it works and then built one for each water'er on my place and to date have had no damage to them at all.

ddd75":28jmmizc said:
i have these and they are the best i have ever found.

http://www.zeitlow.com/Mineral-Feeder-p/aa225.htm
I got a pair of bulls that would carry that until they found a hole to drop it in, had one of them 300# rocky feeders in the pond one year. I use the Sioux ground ones now with the rubber flap. They haven't destroyed them but have wrecked a few flaps.

Till-Hill":aehd4h7i said:
ddd75":aehd4h7i said:

I got a pair of bulls that would carry that until they found a hole to drop it in, had one of them 300# rocky feeders in the pond one year. I use the Sioux ground ones now with the rubber flap. They haven't destroyed them but have wrecked a few flaps.

i run 4 bulls and 80 momma cows and i've never had one tip over.. they might move it a few feet here and there but thats it. Most people around me use the one you use.. with the rubber flap. they seem to work pretty well too.

I hang fly rubs on that one and its pretty handy.

Flatbroke":22wlbrpz said:
What I made looks just like the link except mine is a little taller and cost me what ever the 6 bolts cost, not $199

this is some really heavy plastic, the loader on my 65hp tractor wouldn't pull it out of the frozen mud and it didn't break. i've beat the crap out of these things and they still look new.

We use the hanging barrel type most of the time. Only issues are bulls playing with them and sometimes dumping them or they will stand there for hours thumping them. Gets irritating hearing the constant thump thump thump thump

This is what I made that works. Bull proof so far. Guess I'll change out the ratchet strap when it breaks.
I usually find the protein tub 50-75 yards away when it's lighter.

aaroninga":3lty2728 said:
This is what I made that works. Bull proof so far. Guess I'll change out the ratchet strap when it breaks.
I usually find the protein tub 50-75 yards away when it's lighter.

I put protein tubs in an old truck tire or better yet front tractor tire off a 4wd and it keeps them from covering 5 acres with the tubs when they get lighter.

ddd75":15ofwcqw said:

I like how they use a brand new tire for it!

It doesn't rain much here, so keeping it dry isn't a priority (it usually gets wet from slobber).. I bolted a stainless steel sink to a heavy piece of plywood.. it worked alright, to get to the sink they had to step on the plywood, anchoring it down

Latest posts