Bull Pics

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching":39x70ixy said:
CopeMan":39x70ixy said:
mnmtranching":39x70ixy said:
He has Sitz Traveler bulls for his heifers. Hyline Angus, Milk River Angus. Going to Bull Sales is a big deal to these guys. And many of the small sales have the same blood lines as the big guys. I think they have their bloodlines figured out so to keep new blood coming in. This year their yearling bulls are Charolais. Can't wait to get a look. The bulls they sold after the breeding season were Charolais.

Did you get my private message?

Yup got it. I forgot to metion I've seen some of the S/B cow herd by Hobson. Real Nice!

I bet they're real nice. They run alot of cattle.

35 bulls, 700 cows ? This guy has got to be a dang hobby farmer ! :lol:

I would love to be in his shoes. I would take either one of thoes bulls, they both look great to me. And i bet thoes mountains in the back ground is full of bull Elk to ? :)

Now mnmtranching, if you ever have any trouble finding someone to go Elk hunting with you and i would not make this offer just to anyone. But i would be willing to go with you. 8)

Dang some people just has all the luck ! :) Getting to Elk hunt in country like that just makes me jealous. :lol:

Stepper,I just happen to have a pic of the Elk country.

p10100873.jpg

mnmtranching,

Man alive mnmtranching, that is gods country there. Boy that is beautiful now. I bet you could hear alot of bugeling right from where that picture was taken ? mnmtranching you are one lucky fella. :)

Man that is pretty. Hey if you have anymore pictures of Elk country i sure would like to see them.

What i would'nt give to have my wife dorp me my horse and mules off there. I would not even care if she came back to pick me up.

Have you killed alof of Elk mnmtranching ? I went Elk hunting for my first time a couple of years ago out in Colorado. We were bow hunting but we had a full moon while we were hunting and we never found any Elk that we could hunt. Never even herd any bugel.

But i am going to give it another try some day. The fella i went with was a cousin of mine who has hunted for alot of years. He likes to hunt off of a four wheeler but i think if i ever get to go back i am going to try hunting off of horse/mules.

I dont think we were far enough off of the beaten path to find Elk. Elk kind of like the back country dont they ?

Stepper":2370nuwy said:
mnmtranching,

Man alive mnmtranching, that is gods country there. Boy that is beautiful now. I bet you could hear alot of bugeling right from where that picture was taken ? mnmtranching you are one lucky fella. :)

Man that is pretty. Hey if you have anymore pictures of Elk country i sure would like to see them.

What i would'nt give to have my wife dorp me my horse and mules off there. I would not even care if she came back to pick me up.

Have you killed alof of Elk mnmtranching ? I went Elk hunting for my first time a couple of years ago out in Colorado. We were bow hunting but we had a full moon while we were hunting and we never found any Elk that we could hunt. Never even herd any bugel.

But i am going to give it another try some day. The fella i went with was a cousin of mine who has hunted for alot of years. He likes to hunt off of a four wheeler but i think if i ever get to go back i am going to try hunting off of horse/mules.

I dont think we were far enough off of the beaten path to find Elk. Elk kind of like the back country dont they ?

Yup, this is Gods country, and for anyone to walk into, or ride horseback. This is a wilderness Study Area, no motorized vehicles are allowed. :D :D I have bow hunted this area in Sept and the bugles ecchoing through these canyons are unreal. Yes I've had some success at both Elk and Mule Deer hunting. And oh yeah I got pics. I'll work at getting some loaded.

mnmtranching,

Please do load thoes pictures. I would really like to see them. :D You know not ever having the opportunity to hunt elk before. I read as much as i could to try and learn where to look for Elk before i went on my bow hunting trip. And from what i read Elk like to stay in the dark timber during the heat of the day ? And early in the morning and late in the evening you would find them feeding out in meadows ? So since the Elk were not bugleing (or anyway i did not hear any bugle) I would spend most of my time during the middle of the day tring to find tracks and other sign showing that there were Elk there but i never did find any fresh sign. So i would try to locate big meadows to glass with binoculars early in the mornings and evenings.

From your experience is that about how you go about finding where Elk are at ? And another thing how do you find your way through dark timber ? I bought a gps to take along when i went. The only problem with that deal was the timber is so tall the gps can not pick up a signal. :lol: I never thought about having that problem. I ask my cousin before we went out there if he had topo maps of the area we were going to hunt and he said yeah but we would not need them. :( So i thought well he knows best. But after getting there i sure wish i had of had one and a good compass. :D

I would not venture off very far off into that dark timber because i was affraid of getting turned arround with out a compass. And to we were hunting at about 10,000 feet. Everyone who lived arround that area that i would run into said we needed to be hunting up higher. They said we needed to be hunting just below the timber line. I kept telling my cousin this and he had been going out there for about 15 years and he did not think we needed to be hunting any higher than we were. But you know he has not killed very many Elk either. :lol:

And i found out later that he is affraid of heights. :lol: Not that hunting a couple thousand feet higher would of made that much difference if we would of been hunting in a saddle or on a ridge top. But anyway i am going to try to learn a little more about hunting Elk before i go again.

mnmtranching,

Let me ask you something. I know you said you have hunted the canyon in the picture before. But lets say you came up on a area like that and you have never hunted it before. Where would you start looking first ? If they are bugleing good that would make them easier to locate and then you could go to them. But if they are not like when i went. How would you hunt them ? And what is the elevation of thoes mountains ? Are they about 14000 feet ?

Stepper, The mountains up in MT don't get as high as those in CO.
These Mountains are at 7-8 thousand ft. but seem as high cause they start at lower elevations. I think the main thing is, look for fresh sign, then find a good trail to say a water hole or feeding area. The main thing I guess is to be in a area where there's a lot of Elk sign. One of the problems with the popularity of bow hunting and bugling for Elk is Elk have gotten wise to it. The bulls don't answer bugles much, at least in most hunting areas. They do most of their bugling at night and don't respond to the hunters bugles.

mnmtranching,

They look every bit as big as the mountains where i hunted. But then when they are talking about the elevation of the mountain. They are comparing its elevation to sea level. Thoes mountains in the picture you posted looks alot like what they call the fourteeners (eleavations 14000 feet above sea level) in Colorado.

The only difference is on the mountains in Colorado there is not any timber above 12000 feet. The best i can remember there isnt.

While i was hunting i did manage to find a bog hole that they had been using a few weeks before we got there. I think when i do go back. I wont even try to hunt until i find alot of fresh sign. And i was told that you can get books from the forest service that shows the migration routes of the Elk and where you should find them at certain times of the year.

Well thanks for the tips mnmtranching. And i hope you get time to post some pictures of your hunting trips.