Bull opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms

Reaction score
He's out of a Hereford cow that could have been registered but wasn't and we ai'd her to 3027, this is what came out. Cut or no cut.

F459ECEF-0002-4A0F-AE1A-3E3F81DF0D3B-1506-0000032DE2C9ED43_zps3564dcd2.jpg

id wean him an put him on feed for 90 days.an see what he looks like then.he looks good on milk an grass in that pic.if you keep him id put horn weights on him.an pull those horns down.

Ok, that's a bad picture, he's weaned and weighs about 1200lbs and hasn't ever had a bite of feed. I had a offer of 1500$ but I may want to keep him.

Looks like he has short body, his head is too big and his rear legs looks posty to me but I'm sure it's a bad picture.

Taurus":3oustmcb said:
Looks like he has short body, his head is too big and his rear legs looks posty to me but I'm sure it's a bad picture.
The length thing is the picture, I know a short bull and he isn't. I'll get a better picture.

Better pic for sure. He looks really straight, like Taurus said. He also looks light in the rear, but could be the angle. It is so hard to judge an animal with pics only!

Fire Sweep Ranch":158sxn0y said:
Better pic for sure. He looks really straight, like Taurus said. He also looks light in the rear, but could be the angle. It is so hard to judge an animal with pics only!

I agree.
Video him?
As they do the hokey pokey and turn themselves around, you can see their proportions and dimension a bit more accurately than just still shots too.
I also find it easy IF you are able to halter an animal and set them up you can usually get a good idea of their shape and structure.

I agree, I would like to see better pics of him too. I also agree with the horns if you keep him I would slope cut those horns. I like the way he's short marked with no mane feather. B&G

My guess is he is better than the picture makes him look. Try a more sideways shot preferebly with the nearside leg a bit back or at least level with the farside leg. and his head up.

I agree on the horns. Either weight em or slope cut them.

I'll work on getting a decent picture next time I see him in the daylight. The horns are getting cut off, I've just been waiting for cold weather before I do it.

would cut him saw better bulls at Kingsville last week not bringing a lot and registered. Herefords in Missouri just don't bring a lot in the west central area i'd look around

TennesseeTuxedo":2das2s1l said:
denvermartinfarms":2das2s1l said:
Ok, that's a bad picture, he's weaned and weighs about 1200lbs and hasn't ever had a bite of feed. I had a offer of 1500$ but I may want to keep him.

Cash or check?
Whatever I tell him I want. What exactly do you see flawed about him?

Limomike":2lx2wvgy said:
My only opinion is I dont like him for two reasons.. horns and big head.

I don't think the head or horns hurt him. The big deal is no rear quarter muscle. Put some grain to him take pic at different angle and show picture again in 6 months and everyone will ew and ah over him.

JHH":3sc0bbnr said:
Limomike":3sc0bbnr said:
My only opinion is I dont like him for two reasons.. horns and big head.

I don't think the head or horns hurt him. The big deal is no rear quarter muscle. Put some grain to him take pic at different angle and show picture again in 6 months and everyone will ew and ah over him.

Could be very true. I don't believe in over feeding so I have to trust in the bulls epds and knowing its lineage. But almost no bull or even heifer is going to look very impressive without some supplemental feed. If you know what you have then don't worry about it. If you want him to look all he can be and top out as an adult to all he can be you are going to have to break out the feed bucket.

Latest posts