Bull opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms":286phhtn said:
TennesseeTuxedo":286phhtn said:
denvermartinfarms":286phhtn said:
Ok, that's a bad picture, he's weaned and weighs about 1200lbs and hasn't ever had a bite of feed. I had a offer of 1500$ but I may want to keep him.

Cash or check?
Whatever I tell him I want. What exactly do you see flawed about him?

I'm not into horned Herefords Denver. If you keep him I do think he'll need some feed to blossom. Please post pictures as he develops now that you've cracked the Da Vinci code of posting pics on CT.

How much you like a breed can influence how you look at cattle of that breed, I have done that. But if I was starting all over today, the only thing I would do different is I would own nothing but good horned Hereford cows, and use brangus, Charolais and angus bulls. So with them being my favorite breed I seem to always look for the good in a Hereford.

denvermartinfarms":31heh4nz said:
How much you like a breed can influence how you look at cattle of that breed, I have done that. But if I was starting all over today, the only thing I would do different is I would own nothing but good horned Hereford cows, and use brangus, Charolais and angus bulls. So with them being my favorite breed I seem to always look for the good in a Hereford.

I love Hereford as well, just the polled variety.

now this is just me but i would not want an angus bull on any breed of cows.ive got 2 angus x beefmaster heifers that are wilder than thunder.all of my beefmaster cows an heifers are easy to handle.but those 2 half breeds are highstrung.

bigbull338":1xl4332p said:
now this is just me but i would not want an angus bull on any breed of cows.ive got 2 angus x beefmaster heifers that are wilder than thunder.all of my beefmaster cows an heifers are easy to handle.but those 2 half breeds are highstrung.
I would bet on how your angus x beefmaster heifers are raised or how they are handled by, not by a breed.

bigbull338":xixaa7bq said:
May be something about that cross, I've never had anything like that.

How bout some new photos from the rear and sides? Back in the 1970's my father put out a publication called Rodeo Magazine. He would take maybe 50-100 shots to get the perfect bull photograph. The lenses on most cell phones are going to make whatever is closest look bigger because they are so wide angle.

How are the ticks in your area?

JWBrahman":2uxp5ww7 said:
How bout some new photos from the rear and sides? Back in the 1970's my father put out a publication called Rodeo Magazine. He would take maybe 50-100 shots to get the perfect bull photograph. The lenses on most cell phones are going to make whatever is closest look bigger because they are so wide angle.

I took several last night but I don't think there worth putting on here, he was standing around a bale and had his back a little high.

The ticks have been average this year.

JWBrahman":1ppqbdn3 said:

You are ever right about that.
That's why I LIKE to use my real camera, but I'm usually too lazy.
A cell can work, it'll just take a couple angles and shots to get something that resembles reality.

Taurus":1acvq883 said:
bigbull338":1acvq883 said:
I would bet on how your angus x beefmaster heifers are raised or how they are handled by, not by a breed.
well you would pretty much be wrong.we dont chase our cattle with trucks 4 wheelers or dogs to bring them in.just use feed an maybe the 4 wheeler slowly driving behind them.an since we pen an sort cattle late in the evening an dark we dont stir emm up.now those 2 cross heifers if they see they in the corral or close to it watch out because they are gonna explode.so we get them out asap or dont pen emm.

The ticks have been average this year.

When I was over at Ft. Lost In The Woods the ticks were a big issue. Keep your chin up Denver, I am sure your bull looks a lot better in person. You are pretty close to a number of good polled and horned Hereford breeders, too. I like Alexfarm's females and the Jamison females if you are looking to build your Hereford herd.

bigbull338":2l2ds025 said:

I'm glad you qualified that with the statement "now this is just me" because I'm pretty sure there are folks all of the world having tremendous success with Angus bulls over all types of cow herds.

TennesseeTuxedo":3i83km7q said:
bigbull338":3i83km7q said:

I'm glad you qualified that with the statement "now this is just me" because I'm pretty sure there are folks all of the world having tremendous success with Angus bulls over all types of cow herds.
I know atleast one man that has...

ALACOWMAN":16cv8a24 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":16cv8a24 said:
bigbull338":16cv8a24 said:

I know atleast one man that has...

Same here, might even know two

bigbull338":3e11rq61 said:

bb338-

Have you ever given thought to NOT blaming the "breed" for being "highstrung" and instead consider the DOCILITY (Doc) trait of the individual as a probable factor? Single Trait Selection choices have destroyed many individual blood lines when careful balancing of characteristics through EPD's could have salvaged some potentially good lines, and saved many YEARS of frustration and mistakes. I am the first to admit that some lines of Angus Cattle (mainly stemming from Emulation 31 and his down-line progeny - "EXT" for example) - have been the cause of some Angus cattle resembling Black Crows sailing over fence rows! But with proper management of Genetics and calm handling technIcs most of those undesirable traits can be eliminated and with the judicious use of Multiple Trait Selection choices some fine and profitable cattle can be produced - in spite of "wild genes".

It just takes a little thought and work - - and time!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":27v4sknf said:
bigbull338":27v4sknf said:

bb338-

Have you ever given thought to NOT blaming the "breed" for being "highstrung" and instead consider the DOCILITY (Doc) trait of the individual as a probable factor? Single Trait Selection choices have destroyed many individual blood lines when careful balancing of characteristics through EPD's could have salvaged some potentially good lines, and saved many YEARS of frustration and mistakes. I am the first to admit that some lines of Angus Cattle (mainly stemming from Emulation 31 and his down-line progeny - "EXT" for example) - have been the cause of some Angus cattle resembling Black Crows sailing over fence rows! But with proper management of Genetics and calm handling technIcs most of those undesirable traits can be eliminated and with the judicious use of Multiple Trait Selection choices some fine and profitable cattle can be produced - in spite of "wild genes".

DOC HARRIS

Doc I am not saying all angus are wild but I think I will stick to my angus bulls in a can. Lots easier to take care of never get out and don't kick LOL.

I also think that most are more wild than my herfs will ever be. Management might b some of it. But its not all of it.

DOC HARRIS":39vc28fq said:
bigbull338":39vc28fq said:

bb338-

DOC HARRIS

It a funny thing with Beefmasters, they and I do not have to track a DOC epd. I have pushed my animal with a 4-wheeler, horse, dogs, on foot, or a truck. Afterall I do have to worry about an animal sneeking up behind me and trying to stomp my a$$ into a mud hole. regardless of whichever handling tecnique i decide to use. I have been a pen or 2 and had that docile Angus try and stomp me even on the other side of a pen. Even seen a few try to climb the fence. Hence another reason I choose Beefmasters. In fact most of mine of I have to push out of my way when sorting them. Mine are just plain calm. I do not believe BB338 handling tech is the problem Angus x is.

I do same thing as you do, Thommoos except my cattle are angus and they never got crazy or snorty. They are super calm and quiet. I culled cows with bad disposition (no matter what breed she is). However I would think that many cows (regardless of what breed) don't like strangers that are working on them and I would think that the cows probably weren't handled correctly/properly when they were calves.

BTW, I've heard that people that have/had beefmasters that are plainly crazy and will climb out of the pens.

Taurus":32muaq0u said:
I do same thing as you do, Thommoos except my cattle are angus and they never got crazy or snorty. They are super calm and quiet. I culled cows with bad disposition (no matter what breed she is). However I would think that many cows (regardless of what breed) don't like strangers that are working on them and I would think that the cows probably weren't handled correctly/properly when they were calves.

BTW, I've heard that people that have/had beefmasters that are plainly crazy and will climb out of the pens.

Always amazed me how Angus have become the new Limi. Somebody has an experience with one cow and all of a sudden the whole breed is a bunch of crazy, man killing, buffalo humping, moon jumping, rodeo clown stomping, terrors. Give me a break. Meanest cows I have ever seen in my life were a bunch of horned Herefords. But I don't blame the whole breed for that set of cows.

Jake":221qhctt said:
Taurus":221qhctt said:

Always amazed me how Angus have become the new Limi. Somebody has an experience with one cow and all of a sudden the whole breed is a bunch of crazy, man killing, buffalo humping, moon jumping, rodeo clown stomping, terrors. Give me a break. Meanest cows I have ever seen in my life were a bunch of horned Herefords. But I don't blame the whole breed for that set of cows.
Meanest cow I ever handled was a Holstein cow and that cow still gave me nightmares to this day.

Latest posts